Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/15/2003 5:59:43 AM EDT
A good friend of mine just gave me his Yugo SKS to sell as he needed the money.

I personally hand picked the rifle for him at AIM, I know how well he cleans his rifles, and  is almost as anal as I am.  I know what ammo he has shot in it - Barnaul. I know becuase I sold it to him.

Now, he cleans the rifle again before he gives it to me two weeks ago.  Standard Hoppes #9 for cleaner.   I put it in my safe with the other guns he gives me to sell, I take it to the show yesterday, lay it on the table and rust falls out of the barrel.  I break the rifle down and cannot see through the barrel.
I try to put a patch through it, it won't go more than an inch.  Finally after 20 minute I am able to force a .22cal brush through the barrel with a resulting pile of rust.  The barrel is completely rusted through.

The rifle was stored in a safe with the other guns he gave me and some of my guns.  No other gun had so much as a spot of rust on it, mine or his.

I sold it for $100, told the guy the barrel is total junk, let him look at it and he didn't care.  I figured it was a hell of a sale for due to its condition.

I know the barrels are not chromed in these, but damn, I have never seen anything like this. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to own a M91 in 7.62 X 54R that seemed to have a similar condition. No matter how much I cleaned the bore, it would always have some slight rust in the bore after sitting in the safe for a while.
This was back when all the available ammo for 7.62 X 54R was corrosive. ( Except for Norma, but no way I was paying $25+ for 20 rds of non-corrosive )
I used to clean with soap and hot H20, Hoppes #9, etc. I would even leave a coating of Hoppes Gun Grease in the bore after cleaning as well.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top