Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 6:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/15/2003 7:52:29 AM EDT by rickinvegas]
I finally removed the ugly comp on my SLR (Don't try this at home kids!). I have alway planned to install a slant brake and now I am shopping. I am seeing 12mm and 14mm brakes listed in various places. What should I use? I just mic'ed the OD of the barrel and it is .533 in which is @13.54mm. Has anyone threaded their barrel? Any problems? And yes, I will weld or solder it afterward. Thanks in advance for any help.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:47:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:06:33 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice Campy, worked perfectly. For everyone out there who are planning on adding threads (especially after the sunset)it really is straightforward and easy. The die is a little pricey ($40) but I am sure it will get lots of use amongst my shooting buddies.

New Question: While I always wanted a slant break on my SLR, I never really looked at one installed on other rifles. The ones I have seen have the brake canted with the "top" of the brake pointing at 10:30. I also discovered that the slant brake has a notch cut that catches a spring loaded pin in the sight base at the 12 o'clock position on some rifles. My SLR does not have this pin of course so I just tightened until it was pointing at 12. Is this the correct orientation for a slant brake? Thanks again for any help.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:20:34 AM EDT
Thats right! Now you can weld her down!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:44:18 PM EDT
That looks correct to me. Nice job!
Top Top