Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/5/2003 1:50:28 PM EDT
I've been interested in building an AR15, and talked with a neighbor who has one. To make a long story short. We were talking about my building one when the issue of cost came up. My neighbor suggested I buy an AK if I don't have the money for an AR.

I know they're cheap to shoot and reliable, but I'm not sure about how they look. Also, at 200-300 yards, will I hit what I aim at? The target would be the size of a 1 gallon milk jug. In fact, milk jugs and 2-liter soda containers are our preferred targets. If I could expect that level of accuracy, that should be all I'd need.

I'm sorry if I sound completely ignorant here (I am) concerning AK's, but this seemed like the best place to ask.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:11:23 PM EDT
I should correct an earlier statement. I looked at the VEPR hunting rifle, and it looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:22:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:27:05 PM EDT
Based on my SAR2 and Bulgarian 74 kit build, the 5.45 AKs can get 2 1/4- 2 1/2" groups of 5 at 100yds with a 3.5x scope from a rest. My Armalite M15A4 with a 6x scope (as low as it backs down to) gets 2" from the same brand of 10 cents a shot Russian ammo. Now I can cut that in half with match 5.56 ammo, but who spends a quarter a shot for a jug of water?
Commie optics are cheap help to the basic irons. The 7.62 guns group about twice as large as a rule, with more arc in the trajectory.
Top Top