Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/31/2003 9:16:52 AM EDT
I have to decide on which deal:

MAK 90 with Choate stock and a putzy scope rail screwed to the top of the dust cover with a cheap throw away scope

OR

A stock SAR-1

MAK would need a new furniture kit and internals to make parts count as well as a new dust cover...

SAR would need to have the Red Star trigger group added...

MAK reportedly a better rifle but will need mucho changes to make it appear like a real AK...and to get rid of the poor scope mount etc...

I have the money for either but the SAR would mean more ammo and mags...as only one upgrade would be needed and the MAK would mean a better rifle(?) that costs more in the end...

Ideas?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:05:09 AM EDT
If you are buying a shooter, bet the SAR=1 based on your description it would appear to be the better deal and they will both shoot about the same.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:37:40 PM EDT
I agree with Shotar, get the Sar.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:42:10 PM EDT
Another vote for the SAR1. Mine is now my favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:38:58 PM EDT
i vote for the sar
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 4:24:37 PM EDT by DeeJay]
Well....

The SAR turned out to be a WASR grossly overpriced (he actually wanted almost $500 with one mag...) AND the front sight was visibly canted....when I showed him that he just shrugged...

another shop refused to deal on a .223 SAR 3 that was not on consignment and was about 80 bucks overpriced because they are "rare."

So the MAK was then a better deal at $200 bucks cheaper...I got the MAK and took off a Chinese made steel bipod (which will go onto a homemade spigot mount on a 22-250 bolt action) and the throw away 4x25 scope with rings...the iron sights are still usable even if I leave the cheezy scope mount on and keep the existing cover.

I am putting up another topic about this because I now have "a project" whether I planned it that way or not...though the Mak 90 is quite usable whether or not I do anything else to it.

Edited because I didn't spell well the first time through
Top Top