Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 9:16:52 AM EDT
I have to decide on which deal:

MAK 90 with Choate stock and a putzy scope rail screwed to the top of the dust cover with a cheap throw away scope

OR

A stock SAR-1

MAK would need a new furniture kit and internals to make parts count as well as a new dust cover...

SAR would need to have the Red Star trigger group added...

MAK reportedly a better rifle but will need mucho changes to make it appear like a real AK...and to get rid of the poor scope mount etc...

I have the money for either but the SAR would mean more ammo and mags...as only one upgrade would be needed and the MAK would mean a better rifle(?) that costs more in the end...

Ideas?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are buying a shooter, bet the SAR=1 based on your description it would appear to be the better deal and they will both shoot about the same.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Shotar, get the Sar.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the SAR1. Mine is now my favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
i vote for the sar
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Well....

The SAR turned out to be a WASR grossly overpriced (he actually wanted almost $500 with one mag...) AND the front sight was visibly canted....when I showed him that he just shrugged...

another shop refused to deal on a .223 SAR 3 that was not on consignment and was about 80 bucks overpriced because they are "rare."

So the MAK was then a better deal at $200 bucks cheaper...I got the MAK and took off a Chinese made steel bipod (which will go onto a homemade spigot mount on a 22-250 bolt action) and the throw away 4x25 scope with rings...the iron sights are still usable even if I leave  the cheezy scope mount on and keep the existing cover.

I am putting up another topic about this because I now have "a project" whether I planned it that way or not...though the Mak 90 is quite usable whether or not I do anything else to it.

Edited because I didn't spell well the first time through
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top