Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/30/2003 6:50:11 PM EDT
I almost forgot ...

the com-bloc rifle match will be held on Sunday, 06/01, at the Pioneer range near Bates city, MO (you can take exit 31 I-70).

For details check www.pioneergunclub.org

Match starts at 8 AM.  Fee $12.  Bring your AK, SKS, or other combloc issued rifles.  Bring your ammo (at least 70 rounds) and 3 magazines, or 6 stripper clips.  This is a 200 yd match.

OZ
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ken,

Thanks for the driving direction to the range.

Sparky (Bill Park) will certainly appreciate RSA's support for this match.  Now, it will be even more interesting if you participate in the match ...

See you at the firing line.

Campy,

the folks at Pioneer are a good bunch of guys.  They provide a supportive learning environment for beginner shooters like myself.  But they also host interesting matches like the Buffalo Soldier match, the Pershing Memorial match, and the ComBloc match.  I enjoy the company and their high power shooting program, which is the reason why I would wake up at 5 AM and drive 120 miles just to shoot the match at Pioneer.

Tripod-mounted MG match??  Now I would like to see that ... what will make a good target?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice pics, but what were the winning scores? SR or SR42 targets? Just trying to compare a bit to our winter snowstorm match scores (where the 220's for 30 shots were good).
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Many thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Roberts from RSA who made the 120 mile drive to show their supports for AK-SKS-SVT enthusiasts who made the stand against those charging the B-27 silhouette targets from 200 yds.

The match consisted of three positions: off-hand (10 rds, single load, in 10 min), sustained fire prone (30 rds with minimum 2 reloads in 4 min), and slow fire prone (20 rds, single load, in 20 min).  Sling support only for prone.

The first place shooter shot a 458-3X out of 600 possible, with 7 rounds off the black (received zero point).  Second place finished with 423 shooting a brand new milled receiver Arsenal AK (Ken may remember the model) fitted with ... (ehm) K-Var trigger set.  The second place shooter used better ammo (Norinco, FMJ) compared to those used by the top shooter (unmarked Russian white boxes, HP).  The match winner believed his RSA trigger installed on his old MAK-90 gave him the edge to win the match against a better quality AK and better quality ammo.

The conclusion from this match:

YES, the AK is an excellent combat rifle capable of good accuracy at 200 yards against man-silhouette size target using run of the mill com-bloc ammo.  Out to 300 yards?  I think in the hand of a capable shooter, an AK will still pose a deadly threat against enemy personnel.  The AK accuracy can be improved by feeding it better quality ammo.  

OZ

The top shooter's MAK-90 is the only AK in his collection.  Since it has an RSA trigger already, the top shooter opted to let the 2nd place winner to have the most sought after prize .... the 7th generation RSA adjustable trigger set.  This decision by the first place winner was motivated by his intention to share the wonderful experience he has with the RSA trigger set with as many fellow AK shooters as possible.  Ken Roberts then installed the prize RSA trigger on the Arsenal AK.  You gotta see the expression of the owner when he tried his newly installed RSA trigger for the first time .... he is a long time high power shooter, so he knows what a good military trigger feels like based on his experience with numerous M1, M1A and AR15.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Impressive. Our high scores required 5.45 guns, but the 90 seconds to shoot 10 from kneel or sit, starting from standing with one mag change was probably less helpful to high scores than the usual offhand issues (or Campy's need for both coffee and cigarettes on the line).
Check out the ammo tests we recently did and posted in the ammo forum. The plain white box Kilomovsk plant ammo has been decent for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:18:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Good shootin' Mousegun!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top