Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/28/2003 11:34:33 AM EDT
When the AWB sunsets I would like to install a underfolder stock on my AK-74.

What would I have to do to add a underfolder?

Did these Ak-74s originaly have underfolders or side-folding stocks?  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Very difficult to install an underfolder and I would rec against. Side folder would be another story and is easily done. I think that the sidefolder is standard but I'd be lying if I said I knew of every AK variant out there.

To do legally after the ban would require that no more than 10 of the described parts are of foreign manufacture. That is my take on it anyway. We'll have to see what ATF says at that date, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The AK-74 never possesed the mediocre abomination known as an underfolder stock.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Doc - I have the needed US made parts to use an original Bulgarian stock.

Heavy Metal - Whats wrong with the underfolder?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
1) It's a piss poor firing platform

2) It's a piss poor firing platform

3) It's a piss poor firing platform

4) Its ugly!

5) The AKS-74 type triangular side folder is correct for the 74 and is FAR superior in strength, rigidity and durability to the old style underfolder.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
This can be done.  You would need to get the under folding stock assembly and the under folding rear trunnion.  You could have this done now and have it set up for a fixed folder that can be reversed without too much trouble if the ban is not reinacted.  Have someone who works on AK's modify the receiver and rivet in the new trunnion and you are ready.  To permanently fix the underfolder you replace the spring with a piece of steel tubing and you cannot depress the button.  All the AK-74's had a side folding stock in one form or another.  The easiest thing to do is to get an East German Folder or a Romanian folder.  These replace the fixed stock directly. Then there's the Russian 100 series folding stocks that fold to the left side.  These have a special trunnion and a clip lever in front of the mag well to keep them folded.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
While The Russians and other Warsaw Pact Nations abandoned the underfolder in favor of various side folders for the 5.45mm, The Yugo's kept making them, even on their newer small calibre AK's:

www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0700/721.htm

securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0700/720.htm

securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1800/1828.htm

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

4) Its ugly!

Four SURE !!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Very difficult to install an underfolder and I would rec against. Side folder would be another story and is easily done. I think that the sidefolder is standard but I'd be lying if I said I knew of every AK variant out there.

The installation of a Bulgarian side-folder requires milling of the receiver at the rear-left side. The whole corner is removed to make place for the folding mechanism. Quite a job in my opinion.
Drilling a hole straight through the sides for an underfolder seems much easier.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not just install either an East German or Romanian side folding stock?Good steady firing platform,folds neatly to the right side and requires no modification to the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Any comments on the ACE folding stocks?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Aren't the stocks on say an SAR2 made in Romania?  Therefore wouldn't you just be replacing a Non-US part with another non-US part?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Underfolders rock...they are easy to pack so they make a great trunk gun.

The side folder would be nice for the AWB sunset upgrade.  I would bet that we see an increase in kits for this purpose in 2004/05.

When the AWB sunsets, shouldn't we see the cost of an underfolder decrease.  Norinco underfolders are about $800-$900 currently.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top