Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 10:03:36 PM EDT
I want to put a scope mounting side rail on my SAM 7.  Which model should I get - the rivet or the bolt on?  Tantal sells both.  Are both mounts 'created equal' in terms of quality/durability?

I have never really done any riveting where it mattered what the final product looked like - as long as it held together, I was happy. Is this an easy thing to rivet? And do well?

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the POP scopes especially the range drop compensation and lighted recticles.  I'm not a big fan of the side mount rail though.  The design is intended for you to be able to slide the scope on and off, however with mine there are issues.  If you losen the scope attachment enough so that it will come on and off it losens on it's own after a dozen or so shots.

If you add the mount, you need to be careful of the distance for the POPs come over the receiver and there is not much adjustment.  You need a good line on the scope to be able to zero it.    

I opted for a dust mount 3X9 which is easier to pop on and off and doesn't lose zero with shooting.

The POP sure does get raised eyebrows at the range.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Get Tantal's MPK Russian optics rail. That's what I had put onto my SAR-2 since the Romanian one was out of spec, and it would work perfectly on your SAM-7. You can either do it yourself or ship it to AK-USA to have Chris Butler put it on for you.

Edited to add: The MPK is the "screw-on" type rail, and it's every bit as good as the riveted Bulgarian version. The MPK is easier to install, and it's not nearly as labor intensive. Chris Butler installed mine and flushed fitted the screws on the inside.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top