Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/21/2003 3:43:39 PM EDT
. . because they can build a properly heat-treated AK receiver. I'm getting ready to build my Bulgarian '74 and I can't seem to locate a receiver that is actually made to the specs of the original without dismantling another made-in-the-third-world by-slave-labor weapon. Doesn't it bother you guys that the most technologically advanced country in the world, with the most kick ass military and some of the most fertile minds on Earth can't create a properly heat-treated AK receiver?

I mean look, if the freakin' BULGARIANS can do it, why can't an American company? The complaint from all of the US manufacturers is that "the receivers bend during heat treating" . . . well, they can make it work in the third world, can't they? I mean for God's sake, it's just a fricken bent piece of sheet metal with spot-welded rails. It's not like we're building a M1 Abrams. And please, no crap about cost. It can't cost more than $1 in raw materials. The blank is bent and punched on some sort of mandrel. You pay a monkey $6/hr to spotweld in the rails with a jig so they can't screw it up. I would be more than willing to pay the extra $20 in overhead cost for a no-compromise receiver.

I hope one of the manufacturers reads this and feels challenged. Why is it that the parts of my rifle that are made in the US are the compromise? Why can't the USA build a BETTER receiver than the flippin' backward third world 1960's technology using POLISH?

Yep, I think I'm irritated.

PS>> For those that are using Hesse/OOW receivers and aren't having problems, great. I'm just pissed that I am FORCED to use substandard parts . . . especially when the parts in question are American made. I'm sure I'll pony up the the bar and get an OOW - I can't afford to disassemble my SAR to build a proper rifle.

Whew . . . . </RANT>
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I will agree that the OOW excuse of 'its impossible to heat-treat an entire receiver' is insane, simply because many countries do it successfully (even US companies have done it!).  It may not be cost-effective for OOW to do it, but it's clearly quite do-able.

Hesse receivers are quite good...don't let the name fool you.  If you want a heat-treated OOW receiver, check with www.ak-103.com.  They're now heat treating OOW receivers.  I don't know how successful they are with the process (no reports yet), but I can't imagine they'd risk their reputation on the process if they weren't confident it could be done.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought the Hesse 74 receivers were out-of-spec on the ejector (too soft and too short)??

Rich

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
They're '47' receivers, so they won't be drop-in fit for a 74 build.  The ejector may need to be built up a bit, or you can replace the rails.  The trunion holes are already drilled, so that's not ideal for some people.  Campy will conclude that the Hesse is probably the best built US stamped receiver.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys,

What is a reliable source for Hesse receivers so I can get my FFL to order one?  If they are quality '47 receivers, I'll use one on the PMKMS kit that I've got in the pipeline :^)

I just hope that some manufacturer takes it upon theirselves to start creating a real quality US AK receiver.  They would corner the market!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
_disconnector_, www.gunsnammo.com is one good place.  I don't currently see Hesse receivers on their web site, but they advertise two for $100 on another web site.z
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:38:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Chris at AK-USA is building me another rifle on a OOW rec. I've opted for total heat treat. I asked him if he wouldn't mind commenting on this subject on a smilar thread by disconnector.
This is what he had to say.

Gentlemen,

I can appreciate this topic. This is why we have been offering heat treating services on ITM/OOW receivers. We have enlisted one of the best laboratories in the country; a D.O.D. subcontractor. We carefully analyzed original specimens and arrived at a Rockwell range. We then verified that there is enough Carbon in the material to achieve this. The receivers are then put through a special process that eliminates all warpage/sagging/or scale. When complete, they are indeed hard, top to bottom, front to back, etc. The so-called heat treating that Ohio mentions is really a case hardening and is fully negated by the real process. The parts fall in the 34-38 Rockwell C range. All runs are fully sampled, tested and documented as we have done with our compensators. We charge $35.00 per receiver for this service. You may see photos of fully heat treated receivers on my website. I will post more soon.

Thanks,

Chris@AK-USA

If you go to his websit look in the gallery section for the photos.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#9]
What does heat treating do? <AK newbie question.  I just ordered an AKM with a Hungarian FEG receiver.  Will it be heat treated or not?  The specs say the receiver is fully hardened.  Is this the same thing as heat treating?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, Chris knows his stuff. Guys, you better jump on this one!!!!! Obe916, where are you???
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey OO . .

Heat treating is the process of toughening steel so it can take the pounding that it is going to get every time you pull the trigger.

The FEG receivers are some of the best ever made . . . I've got one on my SSR-85B and I'm pretty sure my great-grand kids will be shooting it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top