Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/11/2003 5:52:48 PM EDT
In sorting out my collection for my new gun room, I ran across several Soviet made bakelite mags I picked up several years ago for $20 each (the good old days)- 6 are regular Izhevsk, 1 is a Tula. Here's my question - the floorplate on the Tula is smooth without the stamped indentions that are common on most AK mags, is this just a standard Tula mag or a rarer type?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes the smooth floor plate is rarer.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#3]
rw66 Are the bakelite mags 7.62x39 ? If so are you willing to sell one?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The flat floor plate is from an early slabside mag.  How it got there is the question, although I have seen them on AKM mags before.

Brick
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Brick, the flat floor plate from the slab side
mag is completely different from the early bakelite's flat floorplate.

The bakelite version has rounded corners and radiused edges (folded upwards) whereas the slabside is a relatively
squarish/flat cut.

These early flat bottomed bakelite .30 cal mags are not impossible to find, but I would definately say they are harder to locate than the later style bakelites with the corrugated base plates (which are relatively rare in and amongst themselves!).
-C
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top