Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2003 5:36:13 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I have fired about 1,200 rounds out of AK now. I can fire it single shot, rapid fire, and more or less full auto with no problems; shooting as fast as I can, even 3 mags in a row. It works 100% and is dead on accurate.

So I have tried to bump fire 3 times now, out of those 3 times I have gotten a light primer hit and a FTF. I check the primer and it has the light hit. They all go off second time around when not bump firing. All other hits on primers are very strong and plenty good.

This is with Wolf ammo and I think it happened with Barnaul too.

-AK103

-Gorden Tech trigger like 60oz or something around 4.5-5.2lbs

-wolf and barnaul ammo

Is this a problem of some kind or is this more or less "limp wristing" the rifle? (maybe my failure to properly bump fire) I'm not a big fan of bump firing but I had to try it just a couple times.

remember this is only during bump fire, its 100% no probs any other time

thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Its typical, just be glad it did not fire out of battery. I believe the Maadi's have this problem less than other guns, but in short it is a timing problem.

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
well after it did it a few times I realized it didn't like it so I stopped.

I figured it was exceeding the cyclic ROF or something bad, since it isn't a full auto gun the bumping might be exceeding the ROF.

If it is typical and an out of battery can occur then why don't I hear others having the problem or getting burnt/hurt?

thanks man appreciate the quick reply
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Most AKs dont have a spring loaded
firing pin.

If you drop the bolt on a loaded chamber ,
and then eject the unfired round, you
will see a mark on the primer.

Not a problem .

You probably just stopped your bump and the bolt slammed closed a little hard.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
AKsrule,

that is a possibility. I didn't think of that really. I might try it again just to see if that is the case.  

For some reason I think I checked to make sure it had tried to fire and had found that the hammer had fallen. But I understand what your talking about the floating firing pin type thing.

now I just wonder if it the timing/close to out of battery thing or just stopping the bump. I admit i'm am amatuer at bumping. I normally use my finger (paintball rapid fire skills) and get a near full auto effect and dont need to bump.

hmmmm

thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Its completely normal and nothing to worry about.
Remember, you aren't firing a full auto gun but just manipulating the rifle to simulate full auto fire.

You just lost the momentum. You just pulled the trigger before the bolt closed, but don't worry the semi auto AK can't fire out of battery unless you have special reloaded ammo, or a f'd-up high primor.

The hammer on the AKs can't ride the bolt and still have enough energy to fire a cartradge.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The hammer on the AKs can't ride the bolt and still have enough energy to fire a cartradge.
BISHOP

That should be the case in a properly designed and fitted AK, But I would not bet my life on it, there is a sweet spot on most guns where the hammer can strike the bolt and not the carrier without the bolt being completely in battery. Throw in American fire control parts or mismatched hammers and it could be worse.

Any time there is a light primer strike there is a risk of ignition. Fortunately it does not appear to happen often.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
good thing wolf primers are pretty hard

i bet if you used Win or Rem commercial ammo or handloads with soft primers you could get a out of battery
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this probably is a case of losing the momentum and not a light strike -- Afterall, it works every other time you squeeze trigger.

The 'light strike' or mark on the primer is common to several weapons that have an inertial firing pin - AR's, M1A's and Ak's.  Its normal.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
It could also be carrier rebound that causes your problem.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top