AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine came today and I have to be honest; I like the Bulgy waffles a lot better.  These seem comparatively flimsy, but to be fair, I haven't tested them yet.  If they work, they work.

I also bought a couple of the Polish steel mags at $7.95.  One of these is blued, with a small dent in the side.  The other is painted (sprayed finish of some sort) with lots of surface rust on one side, little finish on the other, and a bent floorplate.  I hate to sound picky, but this time out, I'm just not impressed.  

I'm too lazy to exchange 'em, so it looks like I'll be Gunkoting and baking a couple of mags this weekend.

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
What about some kind of group buy on the mags. Mabey AIM would work something with us with bulletfest around the corner.  We could get a quantity discount.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
These seem comparatively flimsy, but to be fair, I haven't tested them yet.

...on another site somebody posted pics of them driving over 1 with a car, picked it up and it functioned just fine!

A real test would be droping a loaded mag from 5 feet on to a concrete suface, preferably on the base and then the feed lips. Another good test would be 5 pounds dropped on the side of an empty mag. If they passed those tests I would have no problem with them. Eventually I will try that test with some steel mags, some bulgarian, and these polish ones (when I get around to buying some)
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
These seem comparatively flimsy, but to be fair, I haven't tested them yet.

...on another site somebody posted pics of them driving over 1 with a car, picked it up and it functioned just fine!

Should it be in my rifle when I try this?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got mine today!...VERY impressed!
They are extremely light:

Polish 6.8oz
Bulg Waffle 8.6oz
Norinco Bake 7.8 oz

They do have metal reinforced lips, and are marked "7.62x39" I honestly figured they would be Code ((11)), but hey. I am buying 10 more.

What does the standard steel mag weigh???
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mine came today and I have to be honest; I like the Bulgy waffles a lot better.  These seem comparatively flimsy, but to be fair, I haven't tested them yet.  If they work, they work.

I also bought a couple of the Polish steel mags at $7.95.  One of these is blued, with a small dent in the side.  The other is painted (sprayed finish of some sort) with lots of surface rust on one side, little finish on the other, and a bent floorplate.  I hate to sound picky, but this time out, I'm just not impressed.  

I'm too lazy to exchange 'em, so it looks like I'll be Gunkoting and baking a couple of mags this weekend.

Did any one else buy any of the steel ones that cookie is talking about?  Did you have the same results?  I just ordered 30 before reading this If they aren't in exelent+ condition as advertised i'm definately not going to be happy!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Dammit!

I just went and bought ten of em!  I am a sucker for light weight!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Are they black,blue,plum or green??

Anyone got a pic?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered 10 of each, the polys are as described above. The steel ones appear to be arsenal refinished with 9 being as new, with a nice blued finish. One appears to be refinshed with some type of textured finish similar to but not as rough as the Bulgarian ones. If you buy them in groups of 5 they come wrapped in the original oilly storage paper. I consider both types a great buy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Got my two today.  I agree with the assessment that they seem rather flimsy compared to the Bulgy waffle, and they seem to have the same pattern as 5.45 Bulgy waffle, but a little lighter.  The polish mag either has thinner walls or is made of a lighter grade poly.  
They are definately BLACK.

Not bad, but I do prefer the waffles :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone needs to post of pic of them in a gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I took some pics of these last night, along with a Bulgarian steel and a Bulgarian waffle.

Bulgarian steel in the center, flanked by AIM's $7.95 excellent Polish mags:

Note the rust on the Polish mags, especially the one on the right.  It would be even more noticable, but I've already oiled them.

Same mags, other side:

Note the dent in the Polish mag on the left.  Here you can also more easily see that one mag is blued, while the other is painted.

Floorplate of most rusted Polish mag:

OK, maybe I'm picky, but this excellent mag has a bent floorplate.

Polish polymer mag on left, and Bulgarian waffle on the right:

Not much to see here, but the waffle mag is definitely more heavy duty.

All in all, for the price the mags weren't too bad - but next time I'll just get the $9.99 new Bulgarian steel mags from CDNN.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I personally don't believe the waffles are ribbed for your pleasure...er.. strength, but for gripping in cold enviroments, like the Valmet mags. There is a picture of a car driving over one of these on the other board, it survived just fine.

I've heard that, and it may well be the sole reason, but the fact remains that Bulgys are more heavy duty.  Anyone who has both can see that.  As for the car running over them, I guess that's impressive.

Anyway, as I stated in an earlier post - if they work, they work.  I'll gladly trade a Polish mag for a Bulgy waffle though, if anyone really prefers them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm surprised that people aren't more interested in using them to make their AK-103 clones more authentic. As of now these are the closest thing to the Russian AK103/M3 mags available for less then an arm and a leg.  I got mine today, and it's a great mag for getting a good modern look out of an AKM.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm surprised that people aren't more interested in using them to make their AK-103 clones more authentic. As of now these are the closest thing to the Russian AK103/M3 mags available for less then an arm and a leg.  I got mine today, and it's a great mag for getting a good modern look out of an AKM.

These mags are the prefect excuse to buy a 103 clone!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These mags are the prefect excuse to buy a 103 clone!!

thats what i was thinking!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
AK103 mag? You mean like this one?

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Where the hell did you get that?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I have my ways and yes they are legal. If anyone is interested email me for details. They are expensive although not an "arm and a leg" unless you don't value body parts much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I personally don't believe the waffles are ribbed for your pleasure...er.. strength, but for gripping in cold enviroments, like the Valmet mags. There is a picture of a car driving over one of these on the other board, it survived just fine.

I've heard that, and it may well be the sole reason, but the fact remains that Bulgys are more heavy duty.  Anyone who has both can see that.  As for the car running over them, I guess that's impressive.

Anyway, as I stated in an earlier post - if they work, they work.  I'll gladly trade a Polish mag for a Bulgy waffle though, if anyone really prefers them.

Anybody mike the wall thickness on the Polish polys and the Bulgarian waffles?

Noah
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Anybody want to part with a few... you know you guys ordering them 50 at a time?  I can;t swing $15 per mag right now, and I can't afford to order enough to get a bulk discount price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#27]
If we go more than 4 pages on details about mags, the AR crowd will come over here and make fun of us.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If we go more than 4 pages on details about mags, the AR crowd will come over here and make fun of us.

F#@k them. You should see their pages of threads on SIRs, URXs and RAS IIs. I'm waiting for those guys to start attaching sex toys to their handguards next.

Of course, I'm guilty too. I want a SIR on my M4 clone I'm working on next.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Who cares what they think.  

All I know is that I am very pleased with my new Polish synthetic mags I received today.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Blazeone, what do you stick that mag in? I wasn't aware of you having a 103 clone, but then that's only because I haven't seen a thread full of great pictures...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Hey, some of us like ARs AND AKs.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
216.40.249.192/s/otn/happy/thebirdman.gif

I do too, but RS39 was just being paranoid
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Blazeone, what do you stick that mag in? I wasn't aware of you having a 103 clone, but then that's only because I haven't seen a thread full of great pictures...

I stick it in the safe for now. But I should figure a way to add an AK-USA 103 to the lot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:28:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I have both also.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Again i throw out the idea of a Group Buy on a quantity of 50 and split them.

We could split them at bulletfest.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd be in on a group buy but won't be at bulletfest.

Edited to add, I'd be good for 6-12 depending on how many we needed to reach 50.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Id go in for 3-5
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#39]
We would either have to split these at bulletfest or go in for about 15 a piece or any savings will be eat up in shipping.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#40]
15 is too rich for my blood...  Guess I'll just go ten on my own unless there are any NYers interested and we all lived relatively close.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
15 is too rich for my blood...  Guess I'll just go ten on my own unless there are any NYers interested and we all lived relatively close.

Hiram I am interested I live in Watertown NY. I was planning on buying a few anything that would cut the cost down would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Can try the NY forum and see what we can do.  If we ordered 50 and then shipped ground UPS it should still be a savings.  Figure at 50 mags for $550 thats $11 a mag versus $14.95 for 1-9 or $12.95 for 10 or more.

Five people ordering 10 a piece would be $110 plus shipping from aim plus shipping from central point to your place...  Still likely to be cheaper than ordering 10 on your own plus shipping.  10 on your own would be $129.50 plus probably at least $10 in shipping, probably closer to $15.

Anybody who ordered, could you please share the shipping cost for 10 mags and for 50 mags?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Anybody who ordered, could you please share the shipping cost for 10 mags and for 50 mags?

I ordered 50mags and they only charged me $12 for shipping (nice for a change).  The box is fairly big and heavy.

If they charged any more than $5 or so for 10 mags I would be surprised.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#44]
OK, sounds like there is money to be saved on a group buy of 50 mags and then mailing them to all the participants...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Im in for 10.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#46]
everybody wanting in please IM me with your number count.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Received a couple Polish mags from AIM and a couple Bulgarian mags from K-VAR yesterday. Mags all look great and lock into my SA85M just right. Both these companies are right on top of their customer service, and ordering from their web sites on the same day resulted in getting the items on the same day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#48]
HA! This might just be my first post on this side of (Iron)Curtain! Saw 50 of em at a gunshow last week and did a double take. The dealer still wanted 20 bucks for one. They look great.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Does anybody still have the waffle mags for sale?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Does anybody still have the waffle mags for sale?

K-Var still has 'em: www.k-varcorp.com/magazines.html
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top