Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2002 7:42:19 PM EDT
I want to know what all the "AK people" think about Izhmash Arsenal, Hesse Arms M47. I just put one (with a 16" barrel in 7.62 x 39) on lay-away at my local gun shop.I got too many things to buy for Christmas to get it now. I'm mainly a "CAR15/M4" collector/user myself but I wanted to buy an AK. I've never owned one and wanted one to shoot and learn more about them. I have 4 basic questions;

1. The shop owner said this rifle was made by the same manufactor that makes the currrent Russian Military issued AKs? Is that true?

2. He also said that the M47 is basically the same rifle the Russian Special Forces are carrying? Is that true?

3. It was a nice feeling rifle and he had a Romainian AK there also but he acted like the fact that this one was "made in Russia" was a big deal. Is it any better?

4. He said that Izhmash was like our Colt or FN? Is that true? I dont know dittle squat about AKs. All help is greatly appriciated!!

Thanks for any and all responces!

DoorKicker6
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Its probably a little better than a SAR, but only if it has a proper foreward grip.  If the foreward furniture is not mil-spec and you have to pay to change it, then its not really worth more than a SAR IMHO.  Either one will last a lifetime of normal use.

-SS
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I had a dollar for every time I looked
at a particular gun and the gun shop owner said
"that's just like the one the SPECIAL FORCES use".
ooohhh! I think the last time I heard that I
was looking at a winchester 94 in 218 Bee :-)

it started life in the same factory as the
Russian military AK's (Izhmash) but, in it's
original configuration, it had many differences.
kind of like a Chevy minivan vs. a Chevy Corvette -- no offense.
after import hesse got it and added the pistol
grip, reconfigured the trigger system, changed  the buttstock, and welded on a muzzle brake.

as for a general rule of thumb on hesse quality,
I leave it as an exercise to the reader to look
for other posts on this board and others
(ar15.com AR side, www.fnfal.com, etc.) for
the consensus on hesse quality.

I hope you get a good rifle and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
 What's the price on the Hesse?

Your dealer is probably going for the
 biggest profit margin .
(Everybody sells Romanian Sar rifles for $300 )

The Hesse IS a conversion of the SAIGA rifle,
which is better made than the SAR series,
just don't pay too much more.

link to Saga rifles --
www.eaacorp.com/firearms/shotguns/saiga_rifles/index.html

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one that I picked up for a good price about a year or so ago. Hexxe "quality" is a long way from that of the better builders, and seems to be a matter of the "luck of the draw". I guess I got lucky, because mine has given me nothing but good service at killing paper targets and tin cans. Hesse' furniture sucks and the rear sight "only" goes to 300m, but I actually prefer the Saiga forend to that of the AK. Definitely better fitted than the SAR and finish is decent. For the $299+shp.+fees I paid, I'm happy, but it is certainly not worth a large premium over the SAR.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top