Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/8/2002 7:19:23 AM EDT
Big Medina County Show tomorrow.  Jingle in my pocket.  Want a SAR 3 (5.56) to go with my other 7.62 AKs.  Now I know about the Red Star FCG and what mags to look for, but am I about to make a BIG mistake ?!?!?  Will I get an AK that I will cuss until the cows come home ????   I would just hate to have an AK that would not run ! ! ! (is that possible ?!?!?)  Should I just "suck it in" and get a SAR 2? ? ?  What about ammo  in the 5.45 caliber ? ? ?  At least with the 5.56 I can use the same ammo in my ARs.

HELP ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Lucky Bastard!  I love the Medina show.  Biff and I hit it on our way home from Bulletfest.  Best damn gun show I ever been to!

Brick
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Suck it up and get the SAR-2. If you decide it doesn't do it for you, sell it and get the SAR-3. But I would bet that you'll hang on to it.

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My SAR3 works great - I put in the redstar
hammer .

Only downside is if you ever have to replace
the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You can debate the relative merits of 5.45 and 5.56 AKs, but the only BIG mistake is to not own a smallbore AK.
Whatever you get, there are cases of good, cheap ammo locally for you at ammunitionstore.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
 Never had or shot a SAR 3.  

My son has a SAR 2 which is downright spooky to shoot if you are used to the 7.62.  Flat
trajectory, so little recoil.  Wicked.
 The magazine, hammer shape and other issues
seem to complicate the SAR 3.  And the 5.45
round has that Russian tapered case to ease
extraction.

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got two SAR3s.  I'm pleased with the performance of both of them.  I'm watching the OSU game right now, but will take some photos of both of them and post shortly.

KF
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Wooooo Hoooooo !!!!   OSU goes to 11-0 by beating Purdue!!

Anyway, back to the serious stuff....

Here are my SAR3s.  I had one retrofitted with a fixed side folder and it looks sweet.  The other one I dressed with aftermarket black polymer.  Both function flawlessly and I recommend them to anyone looking for an AK in .223

I did have muzzle comps permanently attached with a small bit of weld on the bottom, and then touched up for aesthetics.

Happy Shooting!!

Krinkfreak

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Forgive me, for I have sinned  ! !  I picked up a SAR 3 today at the Medina show ! !  Please forgive me for not getting a SAR 2  ! !

Anyway, did pick up a SAR 3 today.  Thanks to "RS 39" we were able to "pick out a good one".  Brought it home, cleaned it up, and installed a Red Star hammer I had on hand.  Also pick up 5 Weiger mags and one Bulgy poly mag too.  With the Buly mag, lightly sanded the back of the mag, up on top, back of feed ramp area.  After that, mag popped right in, tighter in the mag well than the Weiger mags  ! !

Will try it out tomorrow if I have time, or Monday at the latest.  

I think the deciding factor in getting the SAR 3 vs. the SAR 2 was the fact that in the entire Medina Gun Show today, only two vendors had 5.45 ammo.  And both of the vendors had VERY little to sell  ! !

Think I'll be happy with my new SAR 3, and will post a report in the next few days.

Thanks for all the input, and the GREAT pics from "krink  ! !

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, both of them right out of the box came with the gas blocks.

KF
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The 2002 SAR3s we looked at were 90deg blocks, and overall much better finish than I was used to from earlier years. I just helped BB2 spot one with a down-tilted side rail, and the next one even had decent wood. Both had metal finish much better than the SAR1&2 I dug out years ago.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
OK...   I just bought a SAR-3 this weekend.  Havn't fired it yet but...   I can't get the cleaning rod to go all the way in (like the ones in the pictures above) help!  and what is a 90 degree gas block and what are its advantages if any.  I'm new to the AK family.  I did get to shoot alot of 'em in the "gulf" though.

i'm on the right!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:19:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Ran into the same problem with my cleaning rods being a tad bit too long.  I committed the ultimate sin....I cut them to fit.  

The Front Sight Base on the SAR3s is mounted too far back on the barrel (this explains the longer muzzle) so it was either move the FSB or cut the cleaning rod.....guess what?  CUT.

To me, the AK cleaning rod does not really effectively serve its purpose when it comes to cleaning.  It does come in handy when you have the occasional stuck case (wolf ammo) in the chamber and have to rod the barrel.

Instead, I use the M16 cleaning rods.  I have a bunch of them setup for bore brushes and cloth patches and just let them hang on the wall ready for use.

KF
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup..  I'll just file it down and chase the threads..  It's only about 1/16 to long.

So what is this 90 degree gas block you speak of?  And is this good or bad? And how do you tell if'n you's gots one?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top