Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2002 4:12:12 AM EDT
I have a post 89 pre 93 SA-85 and I would like to remove the thumb-hole stock.  I am considering either the KVAR US made green furniture along with the Red Star H/T/D. The other possibility is the FSE non-folding krink stock a US made pistol grip of some sort and the Ultimak scope.

Ulitmak however indicates their mount doesn't fit all Hungarian models. Also, it indicates that the KVAR stock is a Bulgarian copy.  I wonder if they will fit on my SA-85.

Have any of you tried the above modifications?
If so, what were your experiances.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
IM sent- would you be interested in selling the take-off furniture?
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
GoGo,

The thumbhole stock is already gone sorry.  Let me know if your are interested in the hand guards.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
LastDefender- I am looking for a full set to alter as a project in a strange and different stain, something unique, like grey or or a deep red.  I still have the orginal BLonde that came on mine cuz I like that "It's looks like a commie tommy gun" response.  The black or green polymer definitely elicits a wholly cool response as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
reason it wont fit some sa85's is because alot if not most of the post 89 rifles were built from amd-65 kits and as such have a very short gas tube on them. if yours has a standard length gas tube, dont worry about it. it will fit. if you have the short gas tube you are SOL
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two post-ban SA85s.  The K-var furniture works fine.  Some fitting required on the handguard, but no biggie.  The Hungarian trigger is actually not bad, but the RSA trigger IS better.  I'd go with the RSA trigger no mattter what.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
reason it wont fit some sa85's is because alot if not most of the post 89 rifles were built from amd-65 kits and as such have a very short gas tube on them. if yours has a standard length gas tube, dont worry about it. it will fit. if you have the short gas tube you are SOL

Actually, there are fewer of the short-tubed models than the regular length. They simply ran out of regular parts and began using some AMD parts towards the END of post-ban SA-85M production.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Actually, there are fewer of the short-tubed models than the regular length. They simply ran out of regular parts and began using some AMD parts towards the END of post-ban SA-85M production.

really?? i dont recall ever seeing one in person with a long gastube,(pictures, but not in person) had a few come in and outta the store and seen many at the shows, but all of them had the short gastube.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup. Info came from Mr. Kassnar himself.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently acquired an SA85 and I beleive it has a long gas tube. I am no AK expert by any means, but the upper hand gaurds are interchangable between my SAR1 and the SA85. I do not know when the Hungarian was built nut it sems to be a post 94 gun.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Both of my post-bans (S/N SM 170xx and SM 083xx) have the standard length gas tube.

GoGo, if you're interested in buying my Hngarian thumbhole furniture, IM me.  I have the set off of one of mine, and I have no use for it.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
According to Ultimak, the standard gas tube is approximately 7 inches.  Mine measured out exactly that....

Regards,
Gary
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top