Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/22/2002 9:01:14 AM EDT
id prefer to buy a new AK, but i know nothing about them at all. i want something cheap and ive seen several for around 300. this is reasonable for me. im not after a tac driver as ive heard AK's are not, just something reliable and of descent quality. can someone please tell me about some of the cheaper brands and such. anything else i need to know about AK's in semi auto configuration?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
My choice would be a Hungarian SA-85M, 7.62x39, considered by most knowledgeable AK experts to be one of the best AKs ever imported.

Mike

PS - you can buy cheaper, BTW, check out this pdf file for those closest to the model listed above, www.globaltrades.com/10-01pdf/rifles.pdf, from what I understand these are made on the same FEG receiver as the SA-85M.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
where do you buy those at and how much. also how much trouble is it to assemble one from a parts kit and is it enough savings to even count.  what about SAR and Norinco rifles?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Now WHY did you have to quantify your statement and only say ONE?

Everyone here knows you can't get just one. It's just like the potato chip commercial.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
These have been showing up at gunshows, and you can find original SA-85Ms on GunsAmerica.com. or you can order from Global Trades thru your FFL.

SAR and Norinco rifles are available also, just
that I know nothing about them, others will have to tell ya about them. Back when AKs were still a dime a dozen I shopped, asked questions and found that the PLO uses Hungarian stamped AKs (FEG) and that the fit and finish and accuracy outta the box of these were considered top-notch, I found one and bought it and I have never had a complaint, (it's a 2 MOA rifle w/ Russian 123grn HP ammo, which I have plenty of).

Campy is the expert on AKs, here on-site, so you can ask him about cheaper brands, he'll know.

Mike  
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want good enough, SAR. If you want nice, enjoy the debate knowing that it is much simpler than wading thru AR opinions.
So have you set your heart on a caliber yet?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a SAR-1 and it is great.  No trigger slap, sights are good and the price was great....maybe I got lucky, but it is nice and fits in nicely with my other toys.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Well im only gettin one AK due to $$$. more of that and id have a whole aresenal. Ive seen lots of romanian and yugoslavian kits and guns etc around too. and yes ill be gettin 7.62. ill get an AR for .223
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have the cash get the SA-M7S. Best off the shelf rifle for your one and only AK. (At least till the sickness gets you - AK's multiply like rabbits!)  If cash is a concern get a hand picked SAR-1. Hard to beat the price.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#10]
SuperDave,

Where can I purchase a SA-M7S?  About how much should I expect to pay?  Is this considerered one of the best AKs on the market?

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Try this.  It's a link to arsenal's dealers page:  http://www.arsenalinc.com/dealers.html

I got my SA-M7 from Atlantic Firearms in MD.  They shipped it to my FFL since there are no Arsenal dealers in the sad state where I live.

Very nice rifle, much better than other AKs that I have seen.

Atlantic had good customer service as well.  Good experience.  You can even pay them through paypal which is nice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info.   I appreciate it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top