Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2002 9:40:37 AM EDT
I've been planning on the LEGP AK for 2003, probably the higher end one for my collection.
Looking at stuff all over the internet, I find the VEPR / RPK thicker steel stamped receiver info...
www.robarm.com/RA_vepr%20faqs%20answers.html#VEPR%20Scope

SO, I'm wondering if the VEPR is 'the shit', or what?

You guys can fill me in, I'm positive of that.
I'm gonna go drive the BigBadBus for a few hours and come back to see what kind of lessons you have for RookieBoy here.

Should I be looking at getting a VEPR II in 7.62x39? or hold out for the LEGP AK?
HIT ME!
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 10:01:06 AM EDT
For a true military rifle, no. It's just thick and heavy, which makes it more accurate than the older AKM receiver. The new century series AK-74M/101...etc. uses a more advanced receiver, which also allows the gun to weigh 7lbs vs. nearly 9 lbs for the VEPR carbines. The advantage the VEPR has is its heavier barrel. So if you want to try to shoot DCM matches or have a good target gun at the range, the VEPR is good due to its good accuracy (not to say that a good AK-103 can't go head to head with it). If you want the real thing, get an AK-103 from AK-USA or Krebs Custom. Better yet, do what I'm doing and wait and see what Gary at SAI has to offer.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 10:02:10 AM EDT
The VEPR is the shits if you don't mind "non-traditional" looking AK variants. I like the heavy barrel and reciever. You can run a 30 shot mag (or five) and the gun will take it. My .223 is my most accurate AK. Good luck with your skoolin'.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:09:35 PM EDT
Handled VEPRs, loved em, was saving for one when the LEGP came along. Waiting for a prime bbl'd legp now for AK #4.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 3:01:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:01:24 PM EDT
I'm not in a big hurry to get any variant of the AK...
I'd like to see what the LEGP is going to look like first.
When might we see a prototype of the two versions?

Having that 75-rd. drum with no rifle to put it in is what has me wanting the original caliber of 7.62x39.
I could probably sell the drum I've got to a buddy or something.

I can understand that the reason the Russki's went for the .223/5.45 is because we showed 'em it works. At least that's my uninformed opinion.
A true .223 AK would be kinda cool, if the magazines were plentiful enough for me to have 3 for the gun.

This is a VEPR with the drum on it:

I'd like a "K" version that looked like that, in black.
The buttstock is kinda homely, though!
Top Top