Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/13/2002 7:38:36 PM EDT
I bought an Arsenal USA SSR-56 as I heard that they were some of the best American AK variants made. Most of the parts are imported but it uses an Ohio Ordinance receiver. The wood and the finish are supreme but it has a nasty habit of failing to feed every few rounds.

I sent it in for warranty work and the people were exceedingly nice and got it back to me really fast but once again every few rounds it either partially strips the round off or misses it altogether. I tested using ammo and mags that my MAC 90 digest with no problems what so ever.

I sent it back in again for an exchange and the reception seems to think they will agree to do so. Has anyone else here had problems with the American receiver or have any knowledge of what can make an AK this unreliable?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
While the AK is damn near the most reliable military rifle ever designed, every once in a while you will encounter a lemon.

Arsenal USA (Texas) has a good reputation for quality work, but I have had to send several rifles back to them for repair/replacement and as a result we no longer sell their products.  Quality of parts and assembly has sometimes been less than stellar.

I will say that the people who work there are great and do try to take care of their customers.

Good luck with your situation and keep us updated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
On the other board, several people mentioned that all of Global's AK's come with a very thick buffer which should be removed. My SSR-85B has one. I haven't shot it enough (sar2 is funner) to find out if it will have a problem or not.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Unreliable AK.....am I the only one?

No.  I bought a new Maadi about nine years ago, and it jammed all the time.  I never did get it fixed.  Someone stole it.

I'll concede that AKs are the most reliable autos out there, but like Templar said, sometimes you get a lemon.

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CAN YOU DESCRIBE THE FTF'S IN GREATER DETAIL?

where do the rounds end up? in what position is the round? is this a boltover situation? are the striking the feedramp? etc.

The rounds are either partially stripped off or never leave the magazine but never get near the feed ramp. The magazine usually has to be pushed forward to remove a mag and also the bolt has a tight spot when moving forward. If you move the bolt forward by hand slowly it will hang up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My SAR-1 gave me trouble when I first got it. I bought 4 30 round magazines from Clearview Investments and haven't had a problem since.

If you are using the 10 round magazines, you might as well throw the magazines in a lake. That is about all they're good for. 30 round magazines work like a dream...

What you describe sounds exactly like the problems I had with those worthless 10 Round Magazines that came with Century SAR-1s...
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah those 10 shot mags are alright at best for the SAR1 but jammed every 7th round in my Poly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My 10 round magazine for the SAR-2 I possess works flawlessly. Does anyone have problems with the Bulgarian 5 round 7.62x39 mm black polymer magazines?

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Themao, when I first got my Bugarian SA-93 it came with the 5 or 10 round waffle mag. Don't remember which now, but I threw it away after one use.  It has only been recently that I have gone back to Bulgarian mags, but full size now.

I also sold off my steel 10 round 5.45 mags. It took almost a whole minute to get them loaded into the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
2 things to look at.  The bolt carrier rides over (recocking) the hammer, there tends to be a natural spot for the bolt carrier to "hang up".  It should NOT hang up here.  If you can make it hang up AND STAY THERE (just by pulling the carrier back) then you have problems!  Most 47's have a little hang up in that area, its common.  Well built ones will slide like ice!

The other thing to look for (especialy in a global rifle) is the center support (riveted tube in front of hammer).  I have seen where the tube is undersized and squezes the reciever causing the bolt carrier to bind.

Brick
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The bolt carrier rides over (recocking) the hammer, there tends to be a natural spot for the bolt carrier to "hang up".  It should NOT hang up here.

It hangs up there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Have the same problem with a SSR-85B with the American receiver. Arsenal has it now. I could rarely get a shell to feed with 5 shot mag. Bulgarian mags worked better- jammed only every fifth shot or so. The shell would be jammed in the chamber and the case would be dinged about one quarter of an inch from the base. Scarier, the action would sometimes barely be open (I was watching this son-of-a-gun closely by then). All mags worked well in my SLR-95. The people are great there, I'm just hopeful they really get it fixed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I sent my SSR-56 back to the factory last Friday and got a call today from Arsenal USA. I had requested another firearm and preferably  one not built around the American receiver (how pathetic to have to request a foreign built receiver). For a few dollars more they are putting a new SSR-85C on the UPS truck today. This one will have the FEG receiver and the required Amarican made parts to comply with Federal Regulations (even more pathetic).

Please God...I know I've sinned but let this one be a real shooter and I'll change my wicked ways!
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Getsome- I've got to tell you, I've got a SLR-95 that I can't even get the bolt to hold back on(it's so smooth). Also I have a VEPR that is not as smooth, but pretty slick. The american receiver SSR-85B is unbelievably rough in its action in comparison. I've smoothed the hammer, and worked the action manually, then put Tetra grease where wear is showing. Still can't the action to cycle smoothly. Starting to believe it is the American receiver.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Starting to believe it is the American receiver.

I eliminated that possiblity with my new firearm. The FEG made by the Hungarians is up for scrutiny next.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Getsome-Looking forward to your report on the new gun.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top