AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Weigers take about 5 minutes to fit to the Saiga. All you have to do is file down a bit in front of the feed lips so they will clear the locking lugs when rocking in. They are the most solid mag for the Saiga because once you mod them they are almost a precise fit.

Bought a bunch for $20/ea a couple years back when Gunmagwarehouse got a surplus shipment in. Hopefully if Cugir starts exporting WASR-3 again they will resume producing the Romanian Weiger clones.

https://i.imgur.com/yTeiXv2.jpg
View Quote

Agreed.  I've got about a dozen of the Weigers that fit/function perfectly in the Saiga.  Hmmm.  Hopefully the mags will become cheaper again if this is the case.  I could use a couple more.  Lol!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I decided that my black Circle 10 mags are the closest in dimensions to the OEM Yugo mag and I'd try to modify some. Of the 5 that I have, 2 locked in the ZPAP, although super tight. I did some gentle file work on the rear locking lug of the mags and they now fit perfectly, and I like the relatively tight fit, no slop.

I also finally got a chance to fire that ZPAP85 and the Bulgy Circle 10's worked perfectly, zero malfs. I also ordered some OEM mags direct from Zastava and some of those Unity ones so I should have plenty since this is just a toy.

As an aside, the ZPAP85 has a terribly canted front sight. At 50 yards I was hitting over 12" to the left. I drifted the sight to get it zero'ed and it looks terrible. Elevation was perfect and the optics rail on top was perfect  and my Aimpoint H1 needed only 5 clicks. I'll call Classic Firearms and see what they say about CS and maybe I'll send them some pics of their canted YUGO.

*I dont want to highjack this thread with my personal saga. To answer the OP, I think 5.56 AK's are great if done correctly. I believe that 5.56 is a better caliber than the 5.45 (and especially the X39) due to the availability of truly excellent ammo. If I were a Defense Minister in a former Warsaw Pact military looking to join NATO etc, 5.56 AK's would be an easy choice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I decided that my black Circle 10 mags are the closest in dimensions to the OEM Yugo mag and I'd try to modify some. Of the 5 that I have, 2 locked in the ZPAP, although super tight. I did some gentle file work on the rear locking lug of the mags and they now fit perfectly, and I like the relatively tight fit, no slop.

I also finally got a chance to fire that ZPAP85 and the Bulgy Circle 10's worked perfectly, zero malfs. I also ordered some OEM mags direct from Zastava and some of those Unity ones so I should have plenty since this is just a toy.

As an aside, the ZPAP85 has a terribly canted front sight. At 50 yards I was hitting over 12" to the left. I drifted the sight to get it zero'ed and it looks terrible. Elevation was perfect and the optics rail on top was perfect  and my Aimpoint H1 needed only 5 clicks. I'll call Classic Firearms and see what they say about CS and maybe I'll send them some pics of their canted YUGO.

*I dont want to highjack this thread with my personal saga. To answer the OP, I think 5.56 AK's are great if done correctly. I believe that 5.56 is a better caliber than the 5.45 (and especially the X39) due to the availability of truly excellent ammo. If I were a Defense Minister in a former Warsaw Pact military looking to join NATO etc, 5.56 AK's would be an easy choice.
View Quote

Don't be so sure the rear sight isn't canted or the dust cover is not locking up totally level. I would flip up the dust cover a bit and see how much play you have at the hinge.

My M92 was straight as a laser but I mounted an RDS to the dust cover using a Stormwerkz rail and haven't used the irons ever since. IMO the Krink style AK irons are worthless for anything but a backup and I'd mount some kind of optic first thing
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don't be so sure the rear sight isn't canted or the dust cover is not locking up totally level. I would flip up the dust cover a bit and see how much play you have at the hinge.

My M92 was straight as a laser but I mounted an RDS to the dust cover using a Stormwerkz rail and haven't used the irons ever since. IMO the Krink style AK irons are worthless for anything but a backup and I'd mount some kind of optic first thing
View Quote

The rear cover is rock solid, zero play and is locked up well. It also has a factory rail on the top cover and I mounted an Aimpoint H1 without any difficulty. I agree that the open sights are not much use especially with my eyes but for nearly $1200 it's disappointing. My $300 Romy also has canted sights but not nearly this bad. I'd post pictures if I could..
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Do Yugo 5.56 mags work in Bulgarian guns?  I'm thinking about ordering a couple just to try them out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn’t even bother with Classic’s customer service, go straight to Zastava. I haven’t had to contact them yet but supposedly they’re pretty good. Versus if you contacted Century or Arsenal about the same thing who would just laugh and hang up on you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do Yugo 5.56 mags work in Bulgarian guns?  I'm thinking about ordering a couple just to try them out.
View Quote

No much too wide for the magwell. Arsenal mags can work in Zastava guns though with minor fitting
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No much too wide for the magwell. Arsenal mags can work in Zastava guns though with minor fitting
View Quote

My OEM Zastava 556 mags are 1.020" at the feed lips (the widest part of the mag that goes into the mag well.
My Bulgy Circle 10 556 (black) mags are 0.975" at the same location.

Like I said they both fit in my Yugo rifle and I wouldnt be surprised if the Yugo mags would fit in a Bulgy, maybe after a little fitting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a 5.56 Galil magazine today.  It locks into my Zastava ZPAP85 and appears to be at the right height for feeding, but is has a fair amount of front to back wobble, more than the factory Zastava mags I have by a significant margin.  When I get it to the range I'll see if it works in practice.  I'm waiting to do that until the AC Unity mags I ordered before Christmas arrive (thanks USPS).
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top