Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotcha, I’ve got a spare unpopulated one I don’t need.  Wasn’t aware going for that much.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Recommendation on a 4 piece cone flash hider? Thinking about picking one up from akbuilder.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#3]
theirs is ok. CNC warrior makes one too IIRC.

That being said, IMO, the 4 piece works great on the AKSU, seems to be too heavy for the 105. You can really tell it's there. I tried it and ended up just going back to the cone, the balance is better .

Experiences may vary.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Recommendation on a 4 piece cone flash hider? Thinking about picking one up from akbuilder.
View Quote
The only correct answer is a suppressor
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only correct answer is a suppressor
View Quote
Ha! I think a pbs-1 is in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]
No disrespect to the PBS-1 because it's cool looking, but it doesn't suppress supers very well. It's better than nothing but feels more like a K can in terms of suppression, so basically you're getting a full size weight package but more or less K size suppression

I'd go with a reputable fullsize can like a Sandman S, or Vox S or a number of other proven companies. I do use my PBS-1 but mostly for subs on the AKM. It's pretty bad ass for that
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Reason I said pbs-1 is bc of the compatibility with the 24mm gas block threads.

I've got a SiCo omega 300. I was debating on going with a regular non threaded gasblock and butting an asr mount on there, but decided I liked the original look with the 4 piece cone. I could always get a thread adapter if I decide to use the omega.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The easy button is the Griffin 24x1.5 adaptor. I have those on 5 or 6 rifles and they have been flawless

Don't forget you can always have an inch of barrel exposed past the FSB and thread 1/2x28. I did that on two of my rifles just to hedge my bet, but it turned out the Griffin works fine

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Happy Monday to me.

Gunsmith broke my freaking gasblock combo. Split down the middle when they were pressing it on.

So. Any leads on on a similar gasblock with the 24mm threads? The guy from akfiles is out of stock for a couple months. The reason I want to go this route right now is because I can install the block and leave the barrel long now, then when I get my stamp I can chop the barrel.

Man I am pissed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I waited and waited for the Kreb's one and he finally made a batch a couple of years ago. I picked up two and used one on a saiga 5.45. I have the other somewhere and do plan om selling it. with the price of saiga's I don't see me doing anymore conversions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I waited and waited for the Kreb's one and he finally made a batch a couple of years ago. I picked up two and used one on a saiga 5.45. I have the other somewhere and do plan om selling it. with the price of saiga's I don't see me doing anymore conversions.
View Quote
Going to pm you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
It isn't out of line to expect the shop to reimburse me for the gasblock that they destroyed is it?

I plan on speaking to them tomorrow to let them know I want:

- to keep the rifle disassembled (front sight and gas block removed), I will pick everything up

- to pay me for the cost of the gasblock

Then I am going to take it elsewhere as I don't trust that they won't F it up again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Well damn the luck, that's a load of shit. Sorry to hear that

If they damaged your property then yes, I do think they need to reimburse you for it
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]
How hard would it have been for them to get out the calipers and hone out the gas block? Sorry to hear man, hope your project progresses soon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How hard would it have been for them to get out the calipers and hone out the gas block? Sorry to hear man, hope your project progresses soon.
View Quote
Man, I TOLD them they may have to hone it out. I TOLD them I was going to send them the instructions from the guy who makes them, "no we don't need that". I shoulda known.

Then to top it off I had to call to get an update. They broke my shit and didn't even call me to tell me.

For the record, I mentioned earlier that I was using Vince at Mesa Kinetic. This is not who is/was doing the work. For now I will leave names out until I talk to them tomorrow.

Eta: Shop agreed to pay for what they broke. So that's good. Will leave it at that for now.

I almost want to get the tools and do this myself now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Bummer about the build hiccup. Good to see you were at least made whole.
I subbed to your thread because you were building up a similar rifle as mine, just different caliber.  

Only thing stopping me is sourcing a Russian FsGb.
Hope to see more updates soon!

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I subbed to your thread because you were building up a similar rifle as mine, just different caliber.  

https://i.imgur.com/sbBnmbz.jpg
View Quote
I've sourced another gas block from a member in this thread, so hopefully this is just a small speed bump.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Agh so close. Going to be sweet when I finally get it done.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Ive got someone that wants the take off gas block and front sight. What can I sell them for? What about with the muzzle break too?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Man that sucks.  Keep us updated when it’s done.  Mid-length is best length.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#21]
that makes me sad. that sounds like a bubba gun shop that specializes in installing night sights.

I have an AK builder (FFL and SOT) thats fairly local to me (1.5hr drive). He is a pretty small shop but the only one I would really trust to build something correctly.

stocks alot of the hard to find stuff and does some very high quality work if you are still looking for someone to press the gas block on and cut/crown/thread for you.

he has been really busy with builds so i'm not sure what his lead time is right now though.

samples of his work doing the kinda thing you are doing.

IZZY 88 kit build

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry to hear about your situation OP.

Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/sbBnmbz.jpg
View Quote

There's one in gunbroker but for 1k.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Now I'm salty about the 7 week long "pending research" phase for my eform1. Oh well. New gasblock will be here Friday and I will have it to the new builder hopefully this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Back on track thanks to ViperEH! Headed to see Vince Buckles in a bit.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you reached out, pleasure is mine to help out.  Going to look awesome.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's what makes this site special, other members willing to help someone who they don't know out.

Well done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad you reached out, pleasure is mine to help out.  Going to look awesome.
That's what makes this site special, other members willing to help someone who they don't know out.

Well done.

I've met ViperEH in person. He's one of the good guys.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#29]
You guys are entirely too nice.   I’ve gotten a lot of advice from this site in years past, happy to pay it forward where I can.   Looking forward to seeing the final product.  I recently got my AK105 back from InRange as well, so I understand.  . M4M, it’s been awhile!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Build is still going to happen. Waiting on one more zenitco piece. Then I need to get out of pending research so I can start the hopefully short wait for my eform1.

I did go ahead and order another 3,750 rounds of Barnaul 60gr. It's only going up so I grabbed what I could at $0.33/rd.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Build is still going to happen. Waiting on one more zenitco piece. Then I need to get out of pending research so I can start the hopefully short wait for my eform1.

I did go ahead and order another 3,750 rounds of Barnaul 60gr. It's only going up so I grabbed what I could at $0.33/rd.
View Quote

where?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

where?
Ammunitionstore

I ordered Sunday night and bought all the 750rd cases they had. Looks like they added more and increased the prices to .37/rd.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ammunitionstore

I ordered Sunday night and bought all the 750rd cases they had. Looks like they added more and increased the prices to .37/rd.
View Quote

You beat me to it, but I'm glad they went to a good home. I was looking at two cases of Barnaul on Saturday but hesitated because I wasn't familiar with AmmunitionStore. I checked back Sunday and saw they were gone, so I ordered their last case of Wolf 55gr HP for the same price.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You beat me to it, but I'm glad they went to a good home. I was looking at two cases of Barnaul on Saturday but hesitated because I wasn't familiar with AmmunitionStore. I checked back Sunday and saw they were gone, so I ordered their last case of Wolf 55gr HP for the same price.
View Quote
Dang. I was honestly surprised to see it in stock. I probably went back and worth for an hour trying to decide on 2 or 5 cases lol.

I have a feeling this build will get shot a lot more than my mk18ish main rifle due to the current climate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dang. I was honestly surprised to see it in stock. I probably went back and worth for an hour trying to decide on 2 or 5 cases lol.

I have a feeling this build will get shot a lot more than my mk18ish main rifle due to the current climate.
View Quote

I just checked, and it was actually Tuesday that I first saw the Barnaul in stock and added it to my cart, because they sent me an email reminding me to complete my purchase. So it sat there at that price until Sunday when you got the last of it. I guess not many people check there. I did notice that their prices are pretty high on other calibers, so maybe no one noticed the 5.45. I just ordered a case of Barnaul at the higher price and sent them an email asking them to combine my two orders, if possible, so I can save a little on shipping. Ever other place is already up around 40 cents for 5.45, so might as well...

Anyway, this is a really interesting build to watch. I've seen photos of these conversions after they're finished, but never got to follow one in progress. Thanks for posting the updates and sticking with it despite the setback.

Edit: Great service from AmmunitionStore. They replied back this morning, combined my two orders, and refunded me the shipping difference.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#36]
ordered 2 cases this morning.

its the only MSR round available and my preferred AK platform - so that's a plus.

Steel 5.56 (usual range fodder) is $0.70 cpr - that is insane. Might post up a few cases on the local board to trade for 7n6.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Range day inspiration

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Noice!

I can't wait to blast mine once it's done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Got my last piece of zenitco in today. So in the beginning there were questions if the b30u lower hand guard would clear the bulgy gas block. Well it does no problem.

Attachment Attached File

Now what I wasn't anticipating was the upper hand guard not having clearance to fit in between the lower hand guard and the gasblock.

Attachment Attached File

I'm not sure yet if there is enough material on both the lower and upper to grind away to make it fit. So now I need to figure that out, or figure out if an ultimak or some other top rail would fit with the lower zenitco.

Eta:
I would probably have to grind off the entire back of the threaded insert, plus some of the hand guard tab itself. This would probably make the threaded insert useless as it would come out.

Attachment Attached File

It would probably be fine with only 5 mounting points instead of six, so it may not be a huge deal. I won't be running any optics on it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#40]
If it were me, I'd just do an Ultimak instead of cutting into the zentico piece. But I've always been an Ultimak fan.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#41]
man that really sucks.

maybe try a B19 upper handguard, I saw some pics of guys who did the same thing.

I would really hate to grind zenitco parts, maybe yank out some calipers and see how much room you have to play with and how much material you would have to take off.

you might be able to hit the side of the gas block with a file - keeping the original shape. then hit the inside of the upper handguard a little.

might be able to squeeze out enough clearance to make it all work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I won't be doing any fitting until I get the new block installed and the barrel chopped. Sure would be nice to have an approved stamp before the end of the year.

I am also not worried about grinding and cutting on the furniture. It's just a $100 rail. Only bad part is the wait from Russia.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#43]
after looking closer, there's 3 screws per side that hold it on. You cut off those 2, and the other 4 may be enough to hold it on tight. Maybe.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I won't be doing any fitting until I get the new block installed and the barrel chopped. Sure would be nice to have an approved stamp before the end of the year.

I am also not worried about grinding and cutting on the furniture. It's just a $100 rail. Only bad part is the wait from Russia.
View Quote

there are a few dealers stateside that carry Zenitco.

they are about $20ish more but you dont have a 1-3 month wait.

I got my B21U for my KP9 in like 3 days
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
after looking closer, there's 3 screws per side that hold it on. You cut off those 2, and the other 4 may be enough to hold it on tight. Maybe.
View Quote
Correct but I think I would only have to remove one. That one being the one on the side of the gasblock plunger bulge.
Quoted:

there are a few dealers stateside that carry Zenitco.

they are about $20ish more but you dont have a 1-3 month wait.

I got my B21U for my KP9 in like 3 days
View Quote
Yea I got my b33 from one. Ivan tactical has been about 2 weeks from order to door the last 2 orders.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ammunitionstore

View Quote

I don't mean to take this off topic again, but I think we both lucked out by ordering when we did. AmmunitionStore must have decided they had their 5.45x39 cases priced too low, because the Wolf 55gr HP jumped up to $349.99 for 750 rounds. $110 increase from when I ordered two weeks ago - .32/rd to .47/rd.

I hope the handguard experimentation is going well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't mean to take this off topic again, but I think we both lucked out by ordering when we did. AmmunitionStore must have decided they had their 5.45x39 cases priced too low, because the Wolf 55gr HP jumped up to $349.99 for 750 rounds. $110 increase from when I ordered two weeks ago - .32/rd to .47/rd.

View Quote
Dang glad I got it when I did.

My eform1 is still pending research. Once the rifle is done, I am just going to cut that one tab mount off. It'll still be plenty sturdy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Got my last piece of zenitco in today. So in the beginning there were questions if the b30u lower hand guard would clear the bulgy gas block. Well it does no problem.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/33E6D885-A6A8-404F-BBC5-D5E542EA9ED2_jpe-1710250.JPG

Now what I wasn't anticipating was the upper hand guard not having clearance to fit in between the lower hand guard and the gasblock.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/191B7A63-7321-4053-A1DF-414D310B4189_jpe-1710252.JPG

I'm not sure yet if there is enough material on both the lower and upper to grind away to make it fit. So now I need to figure that out, or figure out if an ultimak or some other top rail would fit with the lower zenitco.

Eta:
I would probably have to grind off the entire back of the threaded insert, plus some of the hand guard tab itself. This would probably make the threaded insert useless as it would come out.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/C1C1BBDD-62AD-4EE8-B443-DCE06F560692_jpe-1710296.JPG

It would probably be fine with only 5 mounting points instead of six, so it may not be a huge deal. I won't be running any optics on it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/image_jpg-1710303.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/33E6D885-A6A8-404F-BBC5-D5E542EA9ED2_jpe-1710250.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/191B7A63-7321-4053-A1DF-414D310B4189_jpe-1710252.JPG

Eta:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/C1C1BBDD-62AD-4EE8-B443-DCE06F560692_jpe-1710296.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/image_jpg-1710303.JPG

This is the same issue I was talking about. I could've been more specific about the issue.

I tried sanding the upper rail ear to remove some material and I think I even sanded the bottom rail too.(but mine is the full pic version and had more material for support) After removing just enough material I could force the upper rail into the lower rail but then it applied pressure on the barrel shifting it a bit to the left. After that I just decided to abandon any further mods and ended up picking up the correct Russian gas block combo. Glad I picked one up before the prices jumped.

If you decided to sand off some material, carefully punch out the threaded insert and remember to keep the ledge on the rear of the ear (1 in the image), this is where the flat part of the thread insert rests so it doesn't rotate when you tighten the screw (2 in the image). Also sand down the front part of the thread insert so its flush with the surface of the ear/tab.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang glad I got it when I did.

My eform1 is still pending research. Once the rifle is done, I am just going to cut that one tab mount off. It'll still be plenty sturdy.

If you're set on cutting that tab off, I would at least try the mod first.

It looks like you could take off half of the material and still have it function properly. I.E. when cleaning the rifle, you remove the rear screws of the upper rail and that allows you to lift the rear and tilt it forward to allow access to the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is the same issue I was talking about. I could've been more specific about the issue.

I tried sanding the upper rail ear to remove some material and I think I even sanded the bottom rail too.(but mine is the full pic version and had more material for support) After removing just enough material I could force the upper rail into the lower rail but then it applied pressure on the barrel shifting it a bit to the left. After that I just decided to abandon any further mods and ended up picking up the correct Russian gas block combo. Glad I picked one up before the prices jumped.

If you decided to sand off some material, carefully punch out the threaded insert and remember to keep the ledge on the rear of the ear (1 in the image), this is where the flat part of the thread insert rests so it doesn't rotate when you tighten the screw (2 in the image). Also sand down the front part of the thread insert so its flush with the surface of the ear/tab.

https://i.imgur.com/zcGPQbWl.jpg

If you're set on cutting that tab off, I would at least try the mod first.

It looks like you could take off half of the material and still have it function properly. I.E. when cleaning the rifle, you remove the rear screws of the upper rail and that allows you to lift the rear and tilt it forward to allow access to the gas tube.
View Quote
Ahh I didnt even think about punching the insert out and sanding. I will def try that first.

On another note, I am tired of having a non functioning rifle (was talked into waiting until the stamp came back to install the block and chop the barrel all at the same time). I was just messing around with it and decided to beat the old gas block off. Came off rather easy.

Now I am thinking I can install this other gas block myself. My biggest question is how hard is it to drill and pin the gas block? I would think if I have the right drill bit, it shouldn't be bad if I take my time. I would definitely spend the time to make sure it is straight, and I am willing to pick up a press from HF and whatever else I need to press the new block on.

I tried looking through the build it yourself forum, but seems a lot of links are very old, or don't cover this specifically.

Also, I was talked out of cutting the barrel myself when the time comes. Is it really that hard? Seems like a lot of people have done it and I am up for the challenge.

ETA: I have been looking at tools and came across the Toth barrel removal/installation "press". Seems like I could avoid having to buy a big press. Not sure if you can use it to remove a gas block though for when I remove it to chop the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I did my own install of parts, and cut and crown on my 105. If you have a drill press, it's not hard at all. I'd not want to try that long pin with a hand drill, but that's just me.

The cutting of the barrel was actually easier than I thought it would be. Just make sure you use a new blade. I used an 11 degree crowning tool after the cutting to clean it up and make sure it was straight.
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top