User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While that particular rifle wouldn’t be my choice, everyone needs at least one AK.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
While I think the AR is the superior platform Vs. AK, but if it makes you smile and drives liberals nuts with it's RUSSIAN caliber, folding stock with flipping shoulder thingy, red dot of death optic, Grenade Launcher Sights, Bayonet Lug and of course a Pistol Grip on your AK-47 then keep it just to piss off Liberal Democrats!
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While I think the AR is the superior platform Vs. AK, but if it makes you smile and drives liberals nuts with it's RUSSIAN caliber, folding stock with flipping shoulder thingy, red dot of death optic, Grenade Launcher Sights, Bayonet Lug and of course a Pistol Grip on your AK-47 then keep it just to piss off Liberal Democrats!
View Quote
@Bigger_Hammer

Excellent points, sir. Don't forget "the thing that goes up."

The bolded bit makes my soul smile. If any gun is capable of collusion, this is it comrade.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh indeed.

It still goes to the range, but usually so friends can play with it.  

variety being the spice of life and all, I have probably 10-12 AKs in the safe at the moment.  Granted, one is bright purple and belongs to "her", but hey....can't complain.  

My Khyber is probably my most-fired gun.  Has paki tape on the PG now though for added clone-correctness.  

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3755/13356108693_bfce7ecb5d_b.jpg
khyber by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
View Quote
@ArmedFerret

Damn sexy, sir.

Would it be sacrilege to put a Russian pistol grip on a Yugo rig?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
throw some wood on it!
View Quote
This is happening. Guaran-damn-teed. @fury413rb
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@ArmedFerret

Damn sexy, sir.

Would it be sacrilege to put a Russian pistol grip on a Yugo rig?
View Quote
Thanks man.  I wouldn't worry too hard; if anything just say it's a one-off clone of an Afghan rifle.  Those guys did......*EVERYTHING* lol.  No two were ever alike, and Russian guns were considered trophies to many fighters, so a lot of non-Russian rifles were gussied up to LOOK Russian.  Make it yours.  Enjoy it.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
ummmmmmmm, it's your only AK.... you need at least ONE AK minimum. Don't sell it. those guns are getting harder and harder to get by the day, while ARs are just cheap as shit and saturated. Save up and buy more AR stuff, but don't sell the AK.... unless you wanna sell it to me cheap :D
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
As an AK guy who has been trying to get into AR-15s for years, just keep the AK.  You'll regret it and you'll want it back.  Just buy AR-15 parts here and there.  They are pretty affordable these days, even high quality stuff.  Start with a stripped lower and work your way up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
KEEP IT, or sale it to me
you can slap together an ar for 400 ish now a days
or slap one together for 1200.00 .. I would keep it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Trashcan
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you love guns, keep it. If you love ARs, you'll eventually get AR fatigue, so keep it.
View Quote
Has clearly been around the block
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While I rarely (if ever) shoot my Polish underfolder, due to the fact the UF stocks are crazy uncomfortable for me, I still love the shit outta that gun.
View Quote
@ArmedFerret

My Polish underfolder beat the shit out of my cheek until I put a strip of .25" adhesive-backed neoprene on the strut where it contacts my cheek. Apparently, that was all the cushion that was needed, and I couldn't believe I was shooting the same rifle afterwards.

OP, if you never shoot the AK, ditch it and the accessories, simplify your logistics, and put the money toward something you will actually use.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Everybody needs an ak or 4
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@ArmedFerret

My Polish underfolder beat the shit out of my cheek until I put a strip of .25" adhesive-backed neoprene on the strut where it contacts my cheek. Apparently, that was all the cushion that was needed, and I couldn't believe I was shooting the same rifle afterwards.

OP, if you never shoot the AK, ditch it and the accessories, simplify your logistics, and put the money toward something you will actually use.
View Quote
I wrapped mine with 550, but rotator injuries, paired with shoulder arthritis from all manner of stupid shit while deployed (among plenty of other old injuries) minimize my use.  I don't mind.  It's still a favorite.  ;)

here's an old photo i couldn't access at work:

open by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

it looks exactly the same.  molyresin is SOOOO much better than cerakote.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#15]
That is hideous.

I'll save this thread.

Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
AK's are worth a lot more than they ever used to.  If they keep going up, it would be good to keep it.  But as my Mom says, my crystal ball is broken.  For all you know the ruskie ban will be lifted and they'll go back to 300-400 dollars for a decent one. And ammo will be there.  But those days could be over.

Hard to tell.  I'd like to hear which way you come down on that issue.  It sounds like you already have AR stuff, are you NEEDING more stuff for just WANTING more stuff....?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AK's are worth a lot more than they ever used to.  If they keep going up, it would be good to keep it.  But as my Mom says, my crystal ball is broken.  For all you know the ruskie ban will be lifted and they'll go back to 300-400 dollars for a decent one. And ammo will be there.  But those days could be over.

Hard to tell.  I'd like to hear which way you come down on that issue.  It sounds like you already have AR stuff, are you NEEDING more stuff for just WANTING more stuff....?
View Quote
@JJREA

You know that's a good question. I guess I was growing bored and am WANTING more, definitely not needing. Wanting to take full advantage of the salad days we're in mostly. I guess I tire easily, so getting yet another AR prolly won't help the situation. And to yours and others' point, these things are only appreciating. Thanks for your input, sir.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I say keep it.  I’ve got 6 AK’s that rarely get shot but they still put a smile on my face.

A pair of my Arsenal’s...

ETA - the Para cord on the underfolder does make it much nicer to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#19]
You will not get as much these days as the firearms market is very soft right now. Hold onto it and save some money to get the AR stuff. I have a fair amount of firearms that I plan to sell but I will hold off until the next big scare comes along to maximize return. Just like the stock market, buy low and sell high.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:@jekbrown Kinda why I've decided to keep it. I'm also a bit surprised – albeit pleasantly – by the responses to keep it. I think I would've regretted selling it, even with the crappy plastic furniture. Off to get some wood and enjoy it. Hell, I like to think that one of my three, soon to be four, kids would appreciate it.
View Quote
Cool beans. If you really want to trick it out, check out the stuff from Ironwood Designs. Not cheap, but they make a damn good product and have a clone of just about every AK stock ever made...but in better quality wood. Refinishing commie furniture is always a cool project too. You really can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like you have decided to keep it.  Smart move.  Maybe upgrade the furniture, Magpul makes some nice stuff.  In a similar situation i recently considered selling off an m1a, happy I didn’t.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@JJREA

You know that's a good question. I guess I was growing bored and am WANTING more, definitely not needing. Wanting to take full advantage of the salad days we're in mostly. I guess I tire easily, so getting yet another AR prolly won't help the situation. And to yours and others' point, these things are only appreciating. Thanks for your input, sir.
View Quote
You're welcome.  I didn't think my answer was much help because I kind of gave both sides.  My mind works that way a lot.  LOL.   I did sort of lean to keeping it though as I was thinking about it.  I think most people buy more AR's when the ones they have are perfectly fine to do what they need to with them.  But who doesn't like "more" of a good thing?

And yeah, you could always try some new magpul furniture on your AK and see if it makes you like it better.  I kind of like the newer furniture look with an AK.  Which is sort of opposite for my normal self cuz usually I prefer older guns.  But when it comes to AK's I think they're cooler and more useful with upgraded stuff.   I do like irons though...  And don't really care if it's got an optic or not.

I'm also not a huge fan of consolidating to only 1 round of pistol and rifle.  I don't think anyone ever knows what the future will hold when it comes to the availability of any one caliber.  For all we know they'll ban 9mm and 5.56 for whatever stupid reasons they come up with.  And if that's all you have....  you'll be wishing you had something else.  I know it's not likely, but again, nobody knows.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I would sell it simply because of all the Tapco
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While that particular rifle wouldn’t be my choice, everyone needs at least one AK.
View Quote
Its a damn fine AK, and no amount of AR's will fill that hole in your BRD infested heart... you'll only add regret once you part with this beauty.  Take it out and shoot the shit out of it.  I love my AR but my AK is fun as hell to shoot as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146317/DSC04569-675059.JPG

Maybe some wood furniture would make you like it more. That plastic looks so boring. The wood looks so sweet.
View Quote
agreed. Wood for the win when it comes to AKs
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While that particular rifle wouldn't be my choice, everyone needs at least one AK.
View Quote
Yep

Never sell your AK, just work some overtime etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

agreed. Wood for the win when it comes to AKs
View Quote
@PewPewPew1212

That's been my biggest takeaway from this exercise. Well, that and don't sell the damn thing.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't even read the post but I saw a picture of an underfolder AK, ditch that turd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146317/DSC04569-675059.JPG

Maybe some wood furniture would make you like it more. That plastic looks so boring. The wood looks so sweet.
View Quote
Norinco

I got a chubby
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I have to go fap now

OP's rifle has a nicer finish than 8 of my AK's

Give me the history, build, complete?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I didn't even read the post but I saw a picture of an underfolder AK, ditch that turd.
View Quote
Oh yeah, I friggin threw a MAK 90 thumbhole off a building three floors and had a bus run over it, all 18 wheels
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I sold my FEG AMD-65 to get more AR stuff. Was my last AK.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol, use the doll to show us where the scary UF touched you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#34]
This should probably be in GD but fuck it.

What makes you happy? Are you a “collector” who enjoys shooting a variety of firearms out of your safe? Conversely, are you a “user” who prefers having one platform and being very specialized? Just make the call and don’t look back.

I am not an AK guy so contrary to most of the voices here I would sell that AK in a heartbeat.

ETA: verbiage
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know, this is the AR-15 forum, but hear me out please, and I didn't wanna throw it to GD in order to avoid the I'm debating getting rid of my AK (simple Yugo M70AB2) and all accessories (piles of mags and ammo) to get more AR stuff. I never shoot the thing, and have been toying with this idea for a while. Poke holes in my idea, please.

For the record, I've sold plenty of guns, and it sucks, but they were out of necessity (divorce).

I don't have to sell this, but if I want more AR stuff I do. I've consolidated my pistol calibers by shedding everything that's not 9mm, and suppose this would be doing the same for rifles, save my hunting rigs.

Maybe the fact that I posted this in the AR forum instead of the AK forum tells me something... I just don't want to regret it later. Maybe a new AR will fill the hole in my heart?

And pics! Cause they make everything more fun.

Finally, in before "Get both" AND GBPSE.
View Quote
Marriages are made in Beverly Hills but lived in Pittsburgh...keep the AK.

Edit:  Some incentive...here's a couple of 'em.  One's a "Beater" and the other is a "Keeper".

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Sell it.

Russian sanctions could cut off ammo supply within months. AK prices are currently full retard. If When ammo gets cut off, you will own a less valuable rifle that is unaffordable to use.

Yes, I own AKs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I maybe confusing rifles...
I thought this model came with Rpk style trunnion?

Is that a factory rifle?
View Quote
No they built slab side versions  before going to the RPK style.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ar shit is dirt cheap right now and aks seem to keep getting more expensive. i wouldnt sell it
View Quote
Yeah, glad I got into AKs back in the late 90s and waited on ARs.  Can't find any Kits for $149 with barrel.  Got some for $79 when AIM had a sale.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Keep it or regret selling it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Everybody needs an ak or 4
View Quote
Yes!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Another vote to keep it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Every collection needs an AK. I enjoy variety in my collection.

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I collect AR types, I use Ak's
The AR's would go long before the AK's did.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm selling mine (106fr,107fr,vepr12)so sorry I cant talk you into it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I say keep it. Put up about 10k of ammo to go with it. I have 2 AK’s in 762x39 that I never shoot and one 5.45x39 on the way. I’ve got plenty of ammo and mags.  I have bunches of AR’s but feel the need to have alternative ammo use weapons. Ymmv
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Every collection needs an AK. I enjoy variety in my collection.

https://i.imgur.com/yQVNaUC.jpg
View Quote
I am so pissed i didnt get one of these before they stopped being imported! One of my dream AKs! Just need some wood furniture.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't know if the OP is following this thread since it moved, but you don't have a M70AB2 but rather an AB1.

The slabside receiver doesn't seem to have been used for too long. It was a transition between the milled and the RPK bulged trunnions. You also have the 3/6 rivet stock, true to the AB1, not the 4/8.

Not saying their rare, or particularly collectible, but more unusual.

If you have original wood, topcover and pistol grip, it would definitely look better.

If you do decide to sell, now is the time with unreasonably high AK prices.
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top