Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2017 1:41:05 AM EDT
Do we have one? I'd like to see what others have done. I recently acquired several new WASR's, but I didn't have a BFPU in the collection.
So I started this project yesterday. Still more to do.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File
Not exactly BFPU, but it’s old and beat up.  I did put a Yugo or Romanian stock set on it though.  One of those old ones from Apex.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do we have one? I'd like to see what others have done. I recently acquired several new WASR's, but I didn't have a BFPU in the collection.
So I started this project yesterday. Still more to do.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/11242007/view/BFPU1.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/11242007/view/BFPU2.jpg
View Quote
That looks good, what did you use to get that worn look on it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully by using it.

I can appreciate the look of a well worn gun but never quite got why people force the look on a perfectly good finish....ah well, it's not my rifle.

You should probably throw it in a creek for some authenticy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
In terms of the BFPU look, you did a good job...

Nothing wrong with something a little different than the norm, I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The BFPU look may seem odd, but is it really any different than camo-ing a rifle? 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The BFPU look may seem odd, but is it really any different than camo-ing a rifle? 
View Quote
Usually involves an application of steel wool to take the finish off the high spots to simulate actual wear.

I have one of Atlantic's Romanian md 65 underfolders with the BFPU treatment. Looks like it spent years being used daily in a Third World hellhole, which is exactly what I wanted.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Usually involves an application of steel wool to take the finish off the high spots to simulate actual wear.

I have one of Atlantic's Romanian md 65 underfolders with the BFPU treatment. Looks like it spent years being used daily in a Third World hellhole, which is exactly what I wanted.
View Quote
Good response, my comment was meant for people who may knock the effort of the BFPU look as presumably being artificial and unnecessary. To me camo-ing a rifle is just one aesthetic choice, BFPU is another
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
My take on it is it ruins the intended purpose of the applied finish, which is to protect the metal from the elements to some degree. I have a chinese pre-ban AK that I picked up cheap due to the BFPU look. I had it hot blued to restore what some joker thought would be cool to destroy (but it will never be the same shade as the original finish). Right now it wears a Romy buttstock painted OD green to match the Magpul MOE HG set I installed til I find a matching set of the original wood that the PO thought would look better after being beaten with a full key ring to give that fucked up look....Oh well, to each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I tend to keep my guns as nice as I can, but sometimes I do step out and do things differently. I have a M70AB2 that I use as a truck gun and as such it has picked up a fair amount of finish wear. A few years ago I picked up some of the Balkan War BPU wood that APEX was selling and I threw it on. The sling came with the rifle when I bought it and was already frayed as pictured. It lives in my tool box in my truck and gets little care beyond an occasional cleaning.

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My take on it is it ruins the intended purpose of the applied finish, which is to protect the metal from the elements to some degree. I have a chinese pre-ban AK that I picked up cheap due to the BFPU look. I had it hot blued to restore what some joker thought would be cool to destroy (but it will never be the same shade as the original finish). Right now it wears a Romy buttstock painted OD green to match the Magpul MOE HG set I installed til I find a matching set of the original wood that the PO thought would look better after being beaten with a full key ring to give that fucked up look....Oh well, to each his own I guess.
View Quote
I hear you 
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Hot rifle there HP, nicely done
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My Yugo M64.  It is a Matt Yeamans re-weld and the wood and metal finish are all original except for the area that was welded on the receiver.  I used cold blue to blend the weld area in with the rest of the rifle.  No steel wool or scotch brite pads here.

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That looks good, what did you use to get that worn look on it?
View Quote
The finish is actually darker than it looks, especially once I oiled it. I know a lot of people will use steel wool and the like, but I took a different approach.
I used 2F powder (For woodworking) oil, and a felt bad. That way, I didn't put scratches in the finish, just wore the finish off here and there.
Romanian guns are first parkerized, and then taken to the black oxide tank, according to a member of another site that observed this at the factory.
I think it would have turned out really looking good if it was just a black oxide finish, VS the factory conversion finish.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice,
I have one but this is the best pic I have. this is from a veterans day display I made this weekend.

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I didn't do any BFPU to it, but the kit I built came from the Balkans war. The grenade sight was cut down. Just a little trench art, basically the guys nickname. It's on the handguard and was on the pistol grip, which I changed for compliance. Built on one of those NDS receivers that went rusty, cleaned it up and had it black oxided.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top