Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2017 2:49:12 AM EDT
My WASR has a little bit of mag wobble, and it's beginning to annoy me.

Any realistic way to fix it? I've been spoiled by the Arsenal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop worrying and shoot more is the best fix.

If that doesn't work, throw your rifle in the dirt to show it who's boss, then try firing some rounds. Mag rattle should be gone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the earlier WASRs that was milled out by hand at Century and has a lot of mag wobble.  It's never caused an issue.  But it does annoy me.  The only real solution I read online back when I researched how to fix it was to weld (or JB Weld, if you're not up to welding) some metal on both sides and trim it until it fits all your mags and doesn't wobble much anymore.  I decided just to leave mine as-is.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I think mag wobble, or extent thereof, varies from AK to AK and mag to mag. One of my Saigas, with no mag dimples in the receiver (think WASR), has less mag wobble than my other AKs with the dimple. So, mag dimples alone does not insure less mag wobble.

None of my AKs have any worse mag wobble than my AR15s. Ironically, I have one AR15 with the ATI polymer lower and PSA upper that has absolutely no mag wobble at all; mag clicks into place and stays there solid as a rock. 

If it really bothers you, you could try the JB Weld fix on the edges of the mag-support brackets/rails inside the receiver. Although it seems cheesy, that (JB Weld) is some tough stuff. Not sure I'd want to mig or tig weld on the inside edges of the mag support rails, but I guess it can be done, by a good welder, and file down the excess. 

Keep in mind that some mag-wobble is not abnormal, but I'm no expert. 

Just a few thoughts... 

ETA: Out of curiosity, I Googled mag-wobble fix for AK and found this YT vid of WASR 10 mag-wobble fix using steel shims and JBWeld... this seems to be a fairly common, non-invasive fix. Only thing, the guy just shims one side; I'd think it would need shims on both side to make it even/uniform. 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Please don't use any epoxy or other kind of adhesive in a gun. Typically play in the magazine is diminished or reduced with a fully-loaded mag. If you are talking about an empty mag, I do not get your point. If it is need for the loaded mag to be silenced, one would look at polymer mags to find the one that fits tighter and functions properly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please don't use any epoxy or other kind of adhesive in a gun. Typically play in the magazine is diminished or reduced with a fully-loaded mag. If you are talking about an empty mag, I do not get your point. If it is need for the loaded mag to be silenced, one would look at polymer mags to find the one that fits tighter and functions properly.
View Quote
I'm talking about loaded mags, unloaded wouldn't make any sense. Also, I use bakelite, Magpul mags fit tighter, but I don't use those.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
There is no mil-spec for AKs so there's a lot of variation in mag wells, including Arsenals which I would not put up as the example of what all AKs should be compared against.

I have an Arsenal and the mag well is so tight I had to custom fit each mag to work in it and none are exactly the same.

A looser mag well can be good for faster mag changes.  A "little-bit" of mag wobble isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is no mil-spec for AKs...
View Quote
There definitely are, they're just country specific. The Russians were/are actually very specific when it comes to their build specs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Quoted: 
There is no mil-spec for AKs..."

There definitely are, they're just country specific. The Russians were/are actually very specific when it comes to their build specs.
View Quote
Just to make a point (semi-topic related) about mill-spec/build-specs for AKs; I recently acquired a Romanian SAR 1. The mag-fit is good and tight, but not too tight. But the slop/wobble/movement in the bolt carrier (when forward and in battery, no mag installed) worried me a bit. I checked the bolt-carrier on one of my Saigas (same scenario, closed with no mag locked in) and it (slop/wobble of bolt carrier) is about half that of the SAR 1; I checked the bolt-carrier slop/wobble on another Saiga (same scenario) , and it is almost as much as the SAR 1, but not quite. So, my conclusion? It's nothing to worry about. The SAR 1 shoots great and I like it. Like my Saigas too. 

In regards to the comment about not using any epoxy/JBWeld on an AK, (in an effort to tighten up the mag-well) how about 45% silver solder? No where near the heat of welding and excellent metal to metal adhesion. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no mil-spec for AKs...
I know what you're saying, but because of so much country-by-country variation(s) there is no mil-spec like with ARs.

If there was a standard mil-spec, as per Russian-build specs, there wouldn't be such variations. So my point is still valid.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I took the plunge not too long ago, and acquired a number of new WASR's. All have 2017 dates. The Magpul mags fit tight, though like the OP, I don't use them.
The steel ones fit really good as well, except all my WASR's had two tiny bumps right above the magazine catch, where the CNC didn't catch it. This would make the steel mags
hang up while inserting them, and put a slight indent on the back side of both feed lips.
I filed them flush, and now they are prefect.

I really like the RAK-1 trigger as well.

Overall, the new WASR's are so much better than the old.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I took the plunge not too long ago, and acquired a number of new WASR's. All have 2017 dates. The Magpul mags fit tight, though like the OP, I don't use them.
The steel ones fit really good as well, except all my WASR's had two tiny bumps right above the magazine catch, where the CNC didn't catch it. This would make the steel mags
hang up while inserting them, and put a slight indent on the back side of both feed lips.
I filed them flush, and now they are prefect.

I really like the RAK-1 trigger as well.

Overall, the new WASR's are so much better than the old.
View Quote
+1. My latest WASR is 17. Really nice AK.

Magpuls fit fine but no bumps on mine.  The trigger is the best I've ever felt on an AK so the RAK-1 trigger is great.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Weld the mag in the well, problem solved. Now you can start on the dents in the furniture.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I also really like my new WASR 10 (2017) but the mag well is a little tight fit for all the mags (magpul and surplus included).  I might need to file it a little for better mag insertion. BTW, not much room for wobbling either.

Yg
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

No easy way I know of to fix it.

You might try some circle 10 Bulgy mags (they are expensive) and see if they fit better. That is what I use in my old WASR and the circle 10's fit snug even though most steel mags wobble quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Had to shim an AES-10B becuse the mags wobbled like truck nuts on a brodozer. Used the JBweld and shims made from the knockout on the back of a PC idea and it works fine so far. I did cut a waffle pattern into the back of the shims to give the JBweld better adhesion. If it ever fails I'll probably sand it all out with a dremel sanding drum and silver solder or spot weld new shims in place.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had to shim an AES-10B becuse the mags wobbled like truck nuts on a brodozer. Used the JBweld and shims made from the knockout on the back of a PC idea and it works fine so far. I did cut a waffle pattern into the back of the shims to give the JBweld better adhesion. If it ever fails I'll probably sand it all out with a dremel sanding drum and silver solder or spot weld new shims in place.
View Quote
I had to do the same. Actually, I had two steel plates TIG welded in. Then I filed to match. Works with everything, with hardly any noticeable magazine movement. I cleaned up the mag well opening too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top