Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 11:03:18 PM EDT
I am not interested in a domestic barrel or receiver. That seems to leave three guns:

1) GP WASR 10 for $600
2) NPAP for $600
3) VEPR FM-AK-47 for $1,400!

There is one US receiver I might consider, and that is from Arsenal, so let's add that to the list just to be thorough...

4) Arsenal SA M7 for $1,200

Did I miss anything or are these really my only options? I want a Bulgarian SLR and don't understand why there are none available since hey are not banned. I'd rather pay more like $800 anyways. If I'm paying over a thousand I really want a milled receiver.

What would you buy?

EDIT - Not talking about used. I already have used AK's...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like WASR and VEPR are ahead. That makes sense because that is what I was leaning towards. I like the NPAP more, but the non-standard furniture turns me off since I'll have multiple AK's. That said, the VEPR is actually an RPK and the furniture isn't completely standard, but can be fitted I hear.

Basically, if I have the money I will definitely get the VEPR. But $1,400 is totally jacked up! I can buy a preban Norinco for that probably. I hate how, just because it's Russian, and Russia is banned, this stuff has a 50% markup.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, the WASR certainly hits the cheap feels.

the WBP rifle Atlantic had, built on a US reciever looks like one sweet piece though.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/atlantic-polish-wbp-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I'm personally waiting for the GC1 version to come back in stock...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, the WASR certainly hits the cheap feels.

the WBP rifle Atlantic had, built on a US reciever looks like one sweet piece though.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/atlantic-polish-wbp-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I'm personally waiting for the GC1 version to come back in stock...
View Quote
Yea, the WBP looks good, but I believe it is built solely for consumers at a new factory in Poland. So I'm not sure it is much better than an American built gun, except they probably are using machines from an old military factory. Regardless, even the WBP is sold out.

The SAM7 is getting a lot of votes right now. I wonder if those people know the receiver on a SAM7 is US made? Are those receivers supposed to be good? It can't be the same as a Bulgarian receiver right? Would like first hand reports because I don't know what to think of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Arsenal makes a very nice AK. The VEPR is nice as well, but is heavier. For a down and dirty AK you can't go wrong with the WASR, it's cheap, it's light, it works. I'd probably either go Arsenal or WASR personally. Depends if you want a nice gun, or just something cheap to toss in your trunk.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
unless you want something fancier with an Arsenal, I'd just get the WASR... the Arsenal is nothing but a WASR with fancier furniture really. It's not going to be any better (the SAM notwithstanding)

also take a look at some of Atlantic's Romanian pickup style rifles. Good price, good guns

and the Polish WBP's are supposedly REALLY good rifles (if not a bit high priced).

personally you can get a WASR for $535 shipped right now, which is freaking HARD to beat. I'd skip the NPAP with those choices though. Robski has shown some issues with them that make the WASR a better buy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd get an Arsenal...not necessarily that Arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I want an AK, but not enough to pay current AK prices.  I'll buy one when they are cheaper than ARs again.  No AK is worth $1000+ IMO
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want an AK, but not enough to pay current AK prices.  I'll buy one when they are cheaper than ARs again.  No AK is worth $1000+ IMO
View Quote
not going to happen. AK prices are only going to climb and climb as more and more import restrictions are imposed. The days of cheap AKs are over and DONE unless American companies can find a good way to produce solid AKs and mass produce them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Galil ACE 39
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

not going to happen. AK prices are only going to climb and climb as more and more import restrictions are imposed. The days of cheap AKs are over and DONE unless American companies can find a good way to produce solid AKs and mass produce them.
View Quote
Although I did read that congress is looking at signing a bill to allow the importation of any gun that is legal in America to own, and do away with ridiculous restrictions imposed by the AWB mindset from the 90's. I doubt it will go through, since American manufacturers are probably lobbying to keep imports out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd get an Arsenal...not necessarily that Arsenal.
View Quote
This...find a Arsenal 107FR on Gunbroker
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I mean, if you thought about going 1400 for a VEPR...you COULD spend another 600....

https://krebscustomak47.com/products/product/191-krebs-custom-kv-13-m2-speedload-rifle
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
WASR.  It works, doesn't make you cry if you drop it or bang it on something, and you can feel free to store away the crappy wood it comes with and customize to your heart's desire without having a nice set of furniture that makes you want to buy another AK to wear it.

Just be sure you get the RI1805N that has the muzzle threads (not a tack-welded muzzle nut) and bayonet lug: https://www.classicfirearms.com/romanian-ak-7-62x39-semiauto-wasr-10-ri1805n

The other is only a little cheaper and requires some work to get it to accept a brake:  https://www.classicfirearms.com/romanian-ak-7-62-x-39semiautowasr-10
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I paid $475 plus tax (just over $500 out the door) for my N-PAP.

BTW: Rob Ski liked his N-PAP  a lot until it failed after being run over by an SUV and dropped onto a big rock.

Its impossible to duplicate certain types of torture tests when testing, so, although i like watching them on video, I don't buy guns based on unscientific torture tests that can't be exactly replicated.

To be honest, during the recent hurricane my ARs were my primary home defense rifles and the N-PAP is primarily a range gun, but right now it's my most enjoyable rifle to shoot and it's run beautifully for several hundred rounds of Wolf Polyformance.

It's coming to the range with me later today.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I just put a sam7 uf in layaway. Also have wasr's, vepr fm11, and an m70ab2. Besides getting more of the above I would get a Chicom or a Hungarian sa85m
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Circle10AK still has 2 slant back 7.62 Veprs in stock, you'd have to convert them yourself but it isn't very difficult.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
What about an OPAP?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Used SLR
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got $1,500 cash from selling some other guns. Now I really need to decide between a SAM7...or a WASR and two Glock 19's. The latter sounds a lot smarter, but I have a feeling I'll still be on the market for a new AK forever until I get a real nice one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
unless you want something fancier with an Arsenal, I'd just get the WASR... the Arsenal is nothing but a WASR with fancier furniture really. It's not going to be any better (the SAM notwithstanding)

also take a look at some of Atlantic's Romanian pickup style rifles. Good price, good guns

and the Polish WBP's are supposedly REALLY good rifles (if not a bit high priced).

personally you can get a WASR for $535 shipped right now, which is freaking HARD to beat. I'd skip the NPAP with those choices though. Robski has shown some issues with them that make the WASR a better buy.
View Quote
That isn't true at all.

I own both, functionally they are the same, but the WASR is much rougher. Everything on the WASR is either too tight or too loose, the SLR has a perfect fit on all parts.

I still love my WASR, but the Arsenal is far above a better rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I would save a little more and take the Rifle Dynamics AK47 build class. It is so worth the cost. If did get Yugo AB2 since then and was able to customize and adjust to use any magazine I throw at it. The class was priceless. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would save a little more and take the Rifle Dynamics AK47 build class. It is so worth the cost. If did get Yugo AB2 since then and was able to customize and adjust to use any magazine I throw at it. The class was priceless. Good Luck.
View Quote
I need to do this. At some point, I'll probably invest in the tools to start putting my own guns together. Hopefully WBP will keep importing us parts kits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That isn't true at all.

I own both, functionally they are the same, but the WASR is much rougher. Everything on the WASR is either too tight or too loose, the SLR has a perfect fit on all parts.

View Quote
My recent WASR 10-17 is a far far better AK than my Arsenal 106FR which has multiple issues.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My recent WASR 10-17 is a far far better AK than my Arsenal 106FR which has multiple issues.
View Quote
The 106 has always been the most picky of the Arsenal models since there are no standards when it comes to a 5.56 AK. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That isn't true at all.

View Quote
yeahhhhhhhhhhh, the arsenals I've held haven't fit together that well either, either that or my two WASR's were just well put together (mine are both 2017 models). I can't tell the different and every bit of info I've corraborated from everyone who hasn't drunk the Arsenal Kool-aid has said the same thing. Arsenals are nice guns, but unless it's an underfolder, sidefolder or something fancy, the 107r's with fixed stocks aren't any different from a WASR or SAR, just with polymer furniture upgrades and a few hundred dollar price tag inflation (they drop $200-$300 and they'd actually be priced about right in this current market. especially since you're going to have to repaint the damn thing after it starts blistering and peeling just by looking at the finish on an Arsenal)

I'm not bashing an arsenal, they're good guns, but they're wildly over hyped and over priced IMO. Solid fighting guns, but they've built themselves up as some sort legend when they're just nice solid guns. Nothing more...their milled ones are definitely superior though, just not their stamped IMO
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

yeahhhhhhhhhhh, the arsenals I've held haven't fit together that well either, either that or my two WASR's were just well put together (mine are both 2017 models). I can't tell the different and every bit of info I've corraborated from everyone who hasn't drunk the Arsenal Kool-aid has said the same thing. Arsenals are nice guns, but unless it's an underfolder, sidefolder or something fancy, the 107r's with fixed stocks aren't any different from a WASR or SAR, just with polymer furniture upgrades and a few hundred dollar price tag inflation (they drop $200-$300 and they'd actually be priced about right in this current market. especially since you're going to have to repaint the damn thing after it starts blistering and peeling just by looking at the finish on an Arsenal)

I'm not bashing an arsenal, they're good guns, but they're wildly over hyped and over priced IMO. Solid fighting guns, but they've built themselves up as some sort legend when they're just nice solid guns. Nothing more...their milled ones are definitely superior though, just not their stamped IMO
View Quote
I'll never understand people complaining about the finish, and most of the time its second or third hand information. The Russians and Bulgarians have used that finish for decades without issue and my 12 year old SLR105 and 3 year old SLR107 had no blistering, or pealing.

Corrosive solvents and improper cleaning will cause finish issues, beyond that there are no issues with it. I have no doubt that Arsenal has put out some rifles that were inferior to some WASRs, but in my experience with a number of both, the Arsenal is always superior.

YMMV.

As for the part in red, I read that as "people that have never owned one", is that correct?

Picking one up is a little different that owning one for a long time and actually using it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
As I read this post ^ and the rest of the thread, (which is good) I thought I'd add another point, which I posted in another thread here...

I believe that Arsenal uses/used (before the ban) the Russian Saiga and Veper base models (which are both very high quality) as part of their builds. I could be wrong, and I'm sure they have other sources/suppliers for their products.

That said, I recently noticed that one of my Saiga 7.62X39 conversions had canted sights, both front and rear. I never noticed it before because I never really looked that closely. The gas block looked like it was clocked 12:00 dead center, the way it should be, but I noticed both the rear sight block and the front sight-block were canted slightly left (8*-10*); it was not terribly bad, but enough to be noticeable, once I recognized it (which didn't jive with my slight OCD:-). I was rather disappointed and surprised that the sights on the Russian Saiga would be canted. I didn't expect that. My other two Saigas have sights that are good and straight. I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but it ain't good either. Not sure it was worth the effort, but I removed the pins securing the FSB and RSB and clocked them correctly at 12:00 dead-center with the front-trunion, receiver and gas block. Now, the sights are as straight as an arrow (the way they should be).

The point I wanted to make is that even the top-of-the line AKs (like Arsenals) can have issues like canted sights, as well as the WASRs. I read one comment in another thread that said likely 80% of all AKs have canted sights to some degree. I found that hard to believe, but having experienced canted sights first-hand, it may well be true...

Me personally, if I'm going to pay twice the price, I want twice the quality and craftsmanship. Not that I need another AK, but at this point, I'd be more inclined to buy the WASR than the Arsenal; especially now that I have some experience straightening/fixing canted sights... :-)

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Do what?  Find a Vepr at a reasonable price.  Atlantic has Polish AK's and a lot of other quality rifles in the $6-900 range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As I read this post ^ and the rest of the thread, (which is good) I thought I'd add another point, which I posted in another thread here...

I believe that Arsenal uses/used (before the ban) the Russian Saiga and Veper base models (which are both very high quality) as part of their builds. I could be wrong, and I'm sure they have other sources/suppliers for their products.

That said, I recently noticed that one of my Saiga 7.62X39 conversions had canted sights, both front and rear. I never noticed it before because I never really looked that closely. The gas block looked like it was clocked 12:00 dead center, the way it should be, but I noticed both the rear sight block and the front sight-block were canted slightly left (8*-10*); it was not terribly bad, but enough to be noticeable, once I recognized it (which didn't jive with my slight OCD:-). I was rather disappointed and surprised that the sights on the Russian Saiga would be canted. I didn't expect that. My other two Saigas have sights that are good and straight. I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but it ain't good either. Not sure it was worth the effort, but I removed the pins securing the FSB and RSB and clocked them correctly at 12:00 dead-center with the front-trunion, receiver and gas block. Now, the sights are as straight as an arrow (the way they should be).

The point I wanted to make is that even the top-of-the line AKs (like Arsenals) can have issues like canted sights, as well as the WASRs. I read one comment in another thread that said likely 80% of all AKs have canted sights to some degree. I found that hard to believe, but having experienced canted sights first-hand, it may well be true...

Me personally, if I'm going to pay twice the price, I want twice the quality and craftsmanship. Not that I need another AK, but at this point, I'd be more inclined to buy the WASR than the Arsenal; especially now that I have some experience straightening/fixing canted sights... :-)

Just my .02
View Quote
yup, and the point in bold is the big thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just my .02
View Quote
A slight cant isn't a quality issue, if it can be zeroed it is in spec.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Find a lightly used SLR 107FR. They can be had for $900 if you're patient.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neither is an AR....especially now.  If you pay north of 1K for any gun right now really you be an idiot. ;)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Neither is an AR....especially now.  If you pay north of 1K for any gun right now really you be an idiot. ;)
View Quote
you obviously haven't gotten into the 1911 world :D... $2500-$4000 isn't uncommon
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Or precision rifles.

Or double guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

you obviously haven't gotten into the 1911 world :D... $2500-$4000 isn't uncommon
View Quote
But they're just Rock Islands with fancier grips...

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But they're just Rock Islands with fancier grips...

View Quote
actually more like Springer or Colt's with hand polishing and and pretty finishes.... I've wasted probably $20,000 on 1911s, and there is a HUGE amount of diminishing returns after about $1400... even past $700-$800 you start to really get 10% more for twice as much. My wilson combat is a fantastic $3500 gun... but it really does nothing a $700 Springfield Range Officer won't do just as well. it just feels sleeker and is a teensy bit more accurate with an awesome duty coated finish... 99.9999999% of people would never know the difference. If I had to do it over, I would have left well enough alone and stuck with springers, colts (a dan Wesson if I really wanted to splurge).. A high end 1911 is sure nice, but it really isn't worth 5x the price of some of the lower priced ones by any stretch of the imagination

as for the "just a rock with prettier grips", it's more like the difference from an $800 1911 to a Wilson. The Wilson will have hand fitted parts, a nicer spit and polish job, and attention to detail ,but a reliable 1911, is a reliable 1911. the rest is all trappings and glitter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks like WASR and VEPR are ahead. That makes sense because that is what I was leaning towards. I like the NPAP more, but the non-standard furniture turns me off since I'll have multiple AK's. That said, the VEPR is actually an RPK and the furniture isn't completely standard, but can be fitted I hear.

Basically, if I have the money I will definitely get the VEPR. But $1,400 is totally jacked up! I can buy a preban Norinco for that probably. I hate how, just because it's Russian, and Russia is banned, this stuff has a 50% markup.
View Quote
If you are patient you might still be able to get a thumbhole VEPR in $800 or $900 range on gunbroker. The 922 parts are not expensive. You'd still come out ahead.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#39]
My vote is for the WASR-10
Second I would get the WBP Classic if price is not critical

I have both and they are both excellent!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#40]
i'm with the above... get a wasr for dirt cheap, or spend the $1000 max and get a Polish WBP from Atlantic... both good quality guns
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#41]
WASR

WASR

WASR

There, I said it. Three times!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#43]
you know, you need to stop posting pictures of the Polish WBP or I'm going to break down and order one... and I will blame you to my wife for why another gun shows up !!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 
The SAM7 is getting a lot of votes right now. I wonder if those people know the receiver on a SAM7 is US made? Are those receivers supposed to be good? It can't be the same as a Bulgarian receiver right? Would like first hand reports because I don't know what to think of it.
View Quote
What SAM are you looking at?
The current SAM7 recievers are Bulgarian made.  
The old SA M7 was a US made reciever. However it was more "US Finished" as they were imported as 80% recievers from Bulgaria.  

I have both a US made and a Bulgarian made SAM rifles.  Both are great guns and function flawlessly.  They have the same parts. 

The US made SAMs have a better finish and a slightly smoother function.  They were made in smaller batches with an almost "custom shop" quality.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
you know, you need to stop posting pictures of the Polish WBP or I'm going to break down and order one... and I will blame you to my wife for why another gun shows up !!!
View Quote
You should just go ahead and do it. Check out some of the reviews over on AK Files. Guys are saying these are the best put together rifles they've ever seen. Superior to anything else in the price range.

I personally own two Polish Premium builds from Atlantic (built on real 1968 and 1970 Radom parts kits). Speaking purely to the build quality...they are as close to perfection as I have seen in a classic looking AK. Beautiful finish, perfect rivets, and straight as an arrow. I'm sure Atlantic is still turning out that kind of quality with these new WBP builds as well. I wouldn't hesitate.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#46]
My cousin's SAM7 shot like it was almost as accurate as my AR.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Have you decided, OP?

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I have had quite a few AK rifles and my favorite by far is the SAM7.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have had quite a few AK rifles and my favorite by far is the SAM7.
View Quote
Can't go wrong with an Arsenal... especially a SAM7.

Good deals to be had in the EE.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top