BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 10:35:43 PM EDT
Guys:

My Bulgarian AK 5.56, SLR-106 Series.

I would like to have the magazine conversion to take the AR-15 type magazines.

Who can I send it to for a magazine ell conversion?

Thank you.

Daniel
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody. Definitive Arms no longer does their conversion on the 106 series. You could look into the Canis adapters but as I understand it they have been very slow to ship anything for some time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been following their site and they have started producing again...

Here you go..

https://canis-design-group.myshopify.com/collections/magazine-adapters/products/m4-conversion-for-ak-ak-grip-style
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody. Definitive Arms no longer does their conversion on the 106 series. You could look into the Canis adapters but as I understand it they have been very slow to ship anything for some time.
View Quote
i thought people were really into it? why did Def Arms stop doing it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitive Arms called them sub par rifles or some such, stated that they had too many problems with them.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182161
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
i remember that, i thought they still did them for veprs/saigas....but i know realize that the OP has a slr 106 hence the answer.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked into one of the conversion and instead hunted down a factory built Zastava. 

Yes, the mag well is polymer but it is toucgh as nails and works great.

The problem is that the Zastavas are finite. No more being made.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The nice thing about the Zastava is that since they use an RPK trunnion there is adequate material left over to guarantee integrity of the trunnion after it is milled out to fit the adapter, which is wider than almost any other type of AK mag.

Cracked trunnions are not uncommon with converted rifles that use the standard dimensions AKM/AK-74 trunnions. Too much material must be removed from the trunnion to allow insertion of the adapter, it needs to be done precisely or the trunnion can be weakened if excess material is milled at the wrong spot.

I told myself I really wanted one of those M90NPs but frankly they took too long to get them in. By the time they arrived on the market, AR market prices had tanked. With most of the funds I had saved up for the M90 I was able to put together a bladed 11.5" pistol and a M16A4 clone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Might be kind of a heretic here, but if it's the ability to use STAGNAG mags that's required the best (lowest total cost, best outcome) option would be to sell the SLR106 and buy a new Galil ACE that takes STAGNAG mags w/o modification.

Selling the SLR106 helps defray the cost of buying the Galil, plus you're not going to have to pay for the mod (which I can't imagine is cheap if it's any good) and the end result will be a 556 AK that takes STAGNAG mags and has a factory warranty.

AJ
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 2014 Saiga that I milled out for Canis, works good. Might sell though, I just shoot 5.56 out of AR's more
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might be kind of a heretic here, but if it's the ability to use STAGNAG mags that's required the best (lowest total cost, best outcome) option would be to sell the SLR106 and buy a new Galil ACE that takes STAGNAG mags w/o modification.

Selling the SLR106 helps defray the cost of buying the Galil, plus you're not going to have to pay for the mod (which I can't imagine is cheap if it's any good) and the end result will be a 556 AK that takes STAGNAG mags and has a factory warranty.

AJ
View Quote
I looked into the Galil and while impressed. I wish it had a standard Galil folding stock and none railed handguard. It is just an ugly rifle that work great.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The Canis adapter is really good...  If you install it correctly.  I've done 3 myself on Yugo M85's and had zero issues.  Saw another gut install one and he F'd it up, I have no idea how he did though.  The first one I did was milled out with a Dremel and a carbide bit, worked 100%, no issues.  The other 2 were done the non bubba'd way.

I just got one to put on my Arsenal 106ur 300 BO, I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it works out after I get it and install it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
If Canis can get production up an running, it could be a game changer for 5.56 Ak's.  I kept holding out hope Radom would bring their adapter to market.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top