Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:53:06 PM EDT
Are these of good quality? http://www.royaltigerimports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=24
Made in the USA so I would think they were good, just wanted to get some knowledgeable opinions of the brand.
If they are garbage then what would you suggest for a similar price range, I'd be willing to spend more if the quality is substantially better.
Cheers, John.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Are these of good quality? http://www.royaltigerimports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=24

Made in the USA so I would think they were good, just wanted to get some knowledgeable opinions of the brand.

If they are garbage then what would you suggest for a similar price range, I'd be willing to spend more if the quality is substantially better.

Cheers, John.  

You can't use "I.O." and "quality" in the same sentence. I got one of their STG rifles with the barrel pressed in canted. Sent it back and six weeks latter I got an STG with a canted FS/GB.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
They have horrible quality. I've read a lot of threads of unhappy people that got them. You are better off with a WASR. If you think I'm bullshiting you, look at these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdUXxy2Iwgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHt6TpKgkc4
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I.O. INC  =  TURD

Hello, save your money.
I bought an I.O. INC Patriot AK-47, and its the worst firearm I ever owned,
its also the first one I ever bought without checking out, because it had that
"Made In the U.S.A." tag.  The story is they buy junk/garbage/demilled removed from service
military surplus crap that 3rd world nations wouldn't even want, slap a few Tapco parts in
it to sort of hold it all together, and the BATF allows them to say it was "made" in America.
"Brand New" I could not even extract the bolt carrier and gas piston assembly from the reciever
to clean it before firing.  I called their Tech Service, and was told to just beat on the underside
of the charging handle with a hammer until it comes out!!!  No Kidding!
I shot it twice, and could never get it to fire three rounds in a row, magazines would fall out of it
after poppin off a round, and after 100 rounds my butt stock fell off.  I called up and bitched something fierce
they told me to ship it back to them at my expense and they would evaluate it, and fix it if need be...
I took it back to where I bought it, and they threatened to file some complaint against them, and not carry
their products, so finally they agreed to pay shipping.  Well its been four weeks or so now, and no word
on its status...  
  Their products are junk, and a waste of your hard earned money, you will end up with
a very expensive club at best, and a 2x4 with a nail in it will protect you better than a turd
I.O. Inc firearm, I'm just lucky the reciever didn't blow up in my face.
Spend the extra $$$ and get a good rifle, I got an Arsenal Arms SGL21 and love it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
They should be put of business. They don't deserve to have "Made in the USA" on their firearms.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Helped a friend try to sight-in his AK47-C a couple weekends ago using a 25 yard target I got off TheAKForum.

After maxing out the windage it was still hitting 8" to the right.   At 25 yards.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an I.O. STG 2000-C (7.62x39) and it works great for me. It has always gone bang when the trigger is pulled and is accurate. I have taken nearly 20 hogs with this rifle. I have heard of these complaints before but not experienced them personally. I.O. is a crapshoot I guess...

Edit: Here is the rifle. I removed the cheezy buttstock and put on a Tapco. I used Alumahyde II for the paint job. The red dot is a cheepy but works great!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an IO rifle not long ago and have a thread in here on the purchase.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=129698

Long story short, the first rifle arrived was crap...a bunch of Romanian parts slapped into a US receiver with some other US made parts and called made in the USA...its not...its assembled in the USA...they should change their tags to reflect as such....I sent in a well written but nasty email explaining all the faults with the weapon and they snail mailed me a FedEx Call tag to slap on the box and drive to the local FedEx hub to return it to them...about a month later I got a replacement that was in much better shape and overall condition...very frustrating at first but over all i was 95% satisfied with the outcome...however that said I wont buy from them again as there are way better rifles out there for a little more coin...I would put a WASR 10/63 above it
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Long story short, the first rifle arrived was crap...a bunch of Romanian parts slapped into a US receiver with some other US made parts and called made in the USA...its not...its assembled in the USA...they should change their tags to reflect as such....I sent in a well written but nasty email explaining all the faults with the weapon and they snail mailed me a FedEx Call tag to slap on the box and drive to the local FedEx hub to return it to them...about a month later I got a replacement that was in much better shape and overall condition...very frustrating at first but over all i was 95% satisfied with the outcome...however that said I wont buy from them again as there are way better rifles out there for a little more coin...I would put a WASR 10/63 above it

Sounds familiar- I got an AK-47c (sight unseen) last year and the front trunion was very canted- to the point the piston was dragging against it and you couldn't line up the sites while maintaining cheek weld IO sent me a FedEx tag and did fix it- but it took over 6weeks to get it back. I never fired it- sold it 'as new from the factory' for a loss. I also would take a WASR over IO. They are giving Century a run for the 'drunken monkey' award.

Didn't the 'Book of the AK' magazine have a feature article on IO that bragged them up?  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds familiar- I got an AK-47c (sight unseen) last year and the front trunion was very canted- to the point the piston was dragging against it and you couldn't line up the sites while maintaining cheek weld IO sent me a FedEx tag and did fix it- but it took over 6weeks to get it back. I never fired it- sold it 'as new from the factory' for a loss. I also would take a WASR over IO. They are giving Century a run for the 'drunken monkey' award.

Didn't the 'Book of the AK' magazine have a feature article on IO that bragged them up?  

I believe I have seen a 1 or 2 write ups about IO and their amazine US made AK variants....The ones the reviewers got in no way were the standard issue....
Granted the replacement rifle I received was exceptable for the money spent...but I wouldnt say its great or a game changer by any means....

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Haha I have personally spoken to the owner of io . His name is ulley (german) he is a tool. I even talked to some of his workers. Don't buy io shit.  Your better off with cai
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. They make their product sound like it's amazing on their website.

It's a shame they put made in the USA up high on their pedestal, when the product they produce is garbage.

Well, could you guys steer me in the right direction as far as looking at quality AK47's. Someone mentioned arsenal, I think.

I'd rather get one that has wood furniture and a wood stock. Where would I start? I'd be willing to spend abound $1000 to get myself a good gun.

I'm pretty knowledgeable on the AR-15 platform, but really ignorant when it comes to AK47's.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers, John.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. They make their product sound like it's amazing on their website.

It's a shame they put made in the USA up high on their pedestal, when the product they produce is garbage.

Well, could you guys steer me in the right direction as far as looking at quality AK47's. Someone mentioned arsenal, I think.

I'd rather get one that has wood furniture and a wood stock. Where would I start? I'd be willing to spend abound $1000 to get myself a good gun.

I'm pretty knowledgeable on the AR-15 platform, but really ignorant when it comes to AK47's.

Cheers, John.

You don't need to spend 1000$ to get a good one. A WASR is a good starter. Go to a gunshop if you're going to buy one to check if the sights are straight and if the magazine locks in tight.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like they've ripped off the kel-tec p-3ATs also, but with grip checkering like the rugers. Saw one at cabelas, wtf?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers, John.

You don't need to spend 1000$ to get a good one. A WASR is a good starter. Go to a gunshop if you're going to buy one to check if the sights are straight and if the magazine locks in tight.

All right, though I've read that it can be kinda difficult to find a WASR that's in spec. Any good places to look for one online?

Thanks Ermac.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
While a WASR wouldn't be my personal recommendation, if that is what you want and you can't hand pick one yourself, from what I hear Henderson's Defense is the place to order them.  They have what they call a "Certified" rifle.  From what I gather they do a rudimentary check for the common maladies affecting WASRs and only sell the ones that pass.  While not a guarantee of a flawless rifle I'd say that it is better than most vendors that just ship them without ever even opening the box.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a Certified rifle from Henderson Defense.  I have bought one and its takes all the work out of it for you.  They make sure there is no canted parts and that the mags fit properly.  I recently got an M70ABT2 and couldnt be happier....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#17]
If you look on "You Tube" you'll notice that IO's quality is only 50/50. Some people have had major issues just in the reliability department and some have turned out to be fine. I feel that if you really want one that it's handled and checked out throughly and that the dealer offers a free return for repair if necessary.

After that then one can have the furnature changed out.

Impala
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an ak-47c and its a nail driver, I shot 300 rounds out of the box with it and grouped pretty well with no ftf...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I've heard nothing but bad things...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top