Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 5:26:42 PM EDT
Well my mother in laws boyfriend seems to be a closet gun nut lol. He found out I recently got an AK and gave me some mags and ammo. I have no clue about the mags two say made in China other two have ribs along the back that stick out vs smooth? The ammo is all Norinco 3 boxes are silver and 3 are yellow boxes all steel cased. Looks like yellow boxes may be steel core? Also added a spare moe grip to my AK that I had laying around.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:38:57 PM EDT
Unless someone on here has the same type of ammo, we don't know if it's steel core.
Take a magnet to the bullet and it should stick.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:02 PM EDT
I'm not sure on the yellow box stuff. Google search on the head stamp has it as possible steel core that's as much as I know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:59:52 PM EDT
Not sure about the ammo you have but I have a bit of each. I also have quite a bit of the steel core but I can't remember what the boxes look like. I'd have to dig it out but I do remember that a quantity fo what I have has "Steel Core" printed on the box. It seems that they may be a green box but I still have so much Chinese ammo that I can't remember for sure which was which.

Using a magnet isn't a reliable way of checking for a steel core though since many AK projectiles use a copper plated, steel jacket that will also attract a magnet. The only way to tell for sure would be to pull a bullet and cut it open.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:55:56 PM EDT
The ammo you have, although magnetic is actually an alloy core that is magnetic, this NORINCO ammo has a brown shell casing and is non-corrosive. This is not a steel or tungsten core, those are different and the boxes are usually marked. I just cut one of mine open, it contains stick powder, is berden primed, and is a solid metal (soft and magnetic), and contains no steel penetrating rod.

Funny that it came from you mother in law's boyfriend, many baby boomers that have been involved with AK's have several boxes stashed away (I also have 4 boxes), the ammo is still around on the secondary market, and still sold on some equipment exchanges in small quantities. It;s good ammo however, hard to replace, that's probably when he still had it.

The smooth back mags are Chinese and the ribbed Eastern European.

See if he has a NIB Polytech and you will give him you thumbs up and your blessing to join the family.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:09:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By azgunz:
Unless someone on here has the same type of ammo, we don't know if it's steel core.
Take a magnet to the bullet and it should stick.

The magnet will stick to the steel JACKET. It tells you nothing about what the core is made of.
The easiest way to find out if the core is steel is to pull a bullet and scratch the base of the core.
Top Top