Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2010 3:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 3:59:57 PM EDT by SickMAK90]
I am about to purchase an optic for my AK74 and I am at a cross roads. I am currently running an ML3 aimpoint on my AR and I love it, but I am considering a 1-3x weaver scope for my 74. I will be running the DPH beryl style scope mount with flip up peep sight and will need a optic for it.

I was looking into the Vortex strike force red dot, the Primary Arms micro clone, or the weaver scope.

Anyone have any suggestions?

This is a picture of the rifle

And this is a link to the mount
Mount
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:24:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SickMAK90:
I am about to purchase an optic for my AK74 and I am at a cross roads. I am currently running an ML3 aimpoint on my AR and I love it, but I am considering a 1-3x weaver scope for my 74. I will be running the DPH beryl style scope mount with flip up peep sight and will need a optic for it.

I was looking into the Vortex strike force red dot, the Primary Arms micro clone, or the weaver scope.

Anyone have any suggestions?

This is a picture of the rifle
http://a.imageshack.us/img822/8985/arak1.jpg

And this is a link to the mount
Mount

I think you should buy the PK-23 red dot I have for sale. Seriously, though, you can't go wrong with the 1-3X Weaver V3. I have this mounted on the KV-04S mount from KVAR and have been happy with it. I'll post pics of my rifle and my targets if I get a chance some day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:04:14 PM EDT
My rifle does not have the side optics rail...so my options are limited.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:22:01 PM EDT
Even though I have a side plate on my AK-74, I went with the Primary Arms Gen 7 micro dot on an Ultimak railed gas tube and I'm sold on it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:45:25 PM EDT
I have two of the Weaver V3 scopes and had originally mounted them on an Arsenal AK74 and a converted Saiga .308 but replaced them with a Primary Arms red dot sights. The scopes were bulkier than the red dot sights and I wasn't crazy about the whole cross hair thing. I find the dots so much easier and faster than cross hairs scopes. I love the circle dot on the Primary Arms Multi-Reticle Red Dot Sight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:49:25 AM EDT
Everyone seems to be raving about the GEN 7 PA micro red dot. Maybe I should just give that a shot and see how it does.

I originally wanted to do that and an Ultimak, BUT I have owned a ultimak in the past and I hated it because it got so damn hot. But if this DPH rail sucks I will go ahead and get the ultimak. I have already figured out a way to make the rail removable without tools so it should be a pretty slick setup.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:44:11 AM EDT
I'm planning on getting a 1-3X Weaver for my Wasr 10. I dunno. I just would like a little magnification. But I have a siderail too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:02:39 PM EDT
What do you guys think about the PA Micro (or the Bushnell TRS-25) on the KVAR KV-04S side mount? The problem with Ultimak is that then you can't switch out optics if needed. That is, if you want to go to a magnified optic for distance, you're out of luck. Seems better to use the side mounts so you can switch optics in seconds. Of course, I guess if you only want CQB, then maybe the Ultimak might be the thing to do. Although I am worried about burning my fingers and also it seems like having the optic mounted forward like that would throw off the balance of the rifle and make it slower to point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:51:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dgposton:
What do you guys think about the PA Micro (or the Bushnell TRS-25) on the KVAR KV-04S side mount? The problem with Ultimak is that then you can't switch out optics if needed. That is, if you want to go to a magnified optic for distance, you're out of luck. Seems better to use the side mounts so you can switch optics in seconds. Of course, I guess if you only want CQB, then maybe the Ultimak might be the thing to do. Although I am worried about burning my fingers and also it seems like having the optic mounted forward like that would throw off the balance of the rifle and make it slower to point.

The TRS-25 seems to have went up in price or is back ordered everywhere. With PA's reputation I would probably try their RDS instead of the Bushnell, in all honesty they are probably the same or similar quality. I was going to run an Ultimak too, but man they get crazy hot. I am hoping the DPH rail setup works out for me so I can get an optic mounted and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:06:40 PM EDT
which optic?
It depends on your target range––- CQB or distance.
Your eyesight, and of course your budget.
There are several good writings on this.
Send me an e-mail and I will share them.
I recently mounted a Bushnell 1-4X 30mm scope.
When I raise the gun with 1x it is great for close targets, then I can shoot distance with higher power.
Admittedly it is somewhat bulky and heavy, but a good choice for my needs.
I don't know how to include a photo, but can send good quality pics by e-mail.

Send me an e-mail and I will share them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:01:55 PM EDT
I run a Weaver 1 - 3x on my Saiga 308 with a Dogleg for the longer distance shots. Although it is not a true 1x, it is pretty close. The reticle is not the best for close quarters, but I prefer the Weaver to some of the other tactical 1 - 3/4x scopes because of the lighter weight. I run an Ultimak/T-1 combo on one of my other AKs, and I prefer this setup for close quarters training.

I am debating another scope setup on my Krebs AK with beryl mount, and I am deciding between the Primary Arms red dot, Leupold VX-II 1 - 4x, or Vortex Sparc. Right now I am leaning towards the Leupold because I want to reach out with longer shots. So my advice is that if you want to make the longer shots, then go with a magnified scope like a Weaver for lighter weight otherwise get the red dot for close quarters.

Here's a pic of the 308.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:56:51 PM EDT
Any link to that Utilmak...I am looking into optics options on my new AK also.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By texjames:
Any link to that Utilmak...I am looking into optics options on my new AK also.

Ultimak

Excellent mount. I like it with MRDs, not so much with anything else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:11:53 PM EDT
That weaver is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. This gun will just be used for paper punching so distance isn't that big of an issue. I would like to run a low power scope on my AR, but right now it would require to many changes to the rifle. I would need a new larue mount and a BUIS...neither of which I want to buy right now. I may just get the Weaver and try it on my AK...if I don't like it I can also go stash it away for a future build.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:57:13 PM EDT
For my AR, I'm running an M4s w/ 3x magnifier:

For my AK-74, I've gone with an UltiMAK and a T-1:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:45:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By UrbanRunner:
For my AR, I'm running an M4s w/ 3x magnifier:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/UrbanRunner/Firearms/LWRCM6A35-1.jpg

For my AK-74, I've gone with an UltiMAK and a T-1:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/UrbanRunner/Firearms/ARSAK-74.jpg

How do you like that Arizona Response Systems AK-74 so far?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dgposton:

How do you like that Arizona Response Systems AK-74 so far?

Very pleased. he does great work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:07:11 PM EDT
Tapco raped your rifle... Just kidding. I've ordered the Gen 7 PA micro red dot, and Ulitimak from Primary Arms. I can tell you I was justifiably happy with the Gen 2 I had on my FAL; damned thing was bullet proof. I dropeed the stupid thing twice while trying to mount it. On concrete. Didn't even so much as hiccup, and took .308 rounds from a FAL with ease. Plenty of folks are running them on slug guns.

I know that you're thinking magnification. I've left that to my AR, and accepted that the AK is a good short range weapon. If I gotta kill it beyond 400 yards, I'll bump it up to a .308.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Tapco raped your rifle... Just kidding. I've ordered the Gen 7 PA micro red dot, and Ulitimak from Primary Arms. I can tell you I was justifiably happy with the Gen 2 I had on my FAL; damned thing was bullet proof. I dropeed the stupid thing twice while trying to mount it. On concrete. Didn't even so much as hiccup, and took .308 rounds from a FAL with ease. Plenty of folks are running them on slug guns.

I know that you're thinking magnification. I've left that to my AR, and accepted that the AK is a good short range weapon. If I gotta kill it beyond 400 yards, I'll bump it up to a .308.

I hope you are kidding. No tapco to be seen and everything is pretty much mil-spec. Yes I have a 6 position stock, but it is a VLTOR with a VLTOR tube. Which is at least as stout as 90% of AR setups (minus fixed stocks).

I got the DPH rail today and I am getting a refund...no way in hell that peep will work without some sort of modification to the front sight post. The peep is way to high. So I think I will do a gen 7 PA micro and ultimak and get a H-1 around xmas time if I think it is needed. I still want to build an AR with a low magnification scope setup...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:06:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 14point5:
Even though I have a side plate on my AK-74, I went with the Primary Arms Gen 7 micro dot on an Ultimak railed gas tube and I'm sold on it.

I have this setup and it works really well.

One caveat, however: The rail IS the gas tube, so it gets really really hot, pretty quickly. I have found that it's hard to hold the lower handguard and not burn your fingertips on the sides of the rail. The consensus seems to be "wear gloves".

The optic gets really hot as well, but I have yet to hear of any failures with the PA optics, either heat-related or otherwise.

Top Top