Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2010 2:11:49 PM EDT
What do you guys think about pulling the front wood off a rifle (scratched up Maadi build) and wrapping leather around and around the barrel and upper gas tube? I think it might be an interesting look for a BFPU look plus it might insulate against heat fairly well. I might go by a feed store sometime this weekend and see if I can find some leather reigns pretty cheap...

Input?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it might look ok in a BPU type of way, but I wonder if having the leather touching the barrel would be such a good idea once it heats up?

I know leather is basically old skin, and I know what a hot barrel does to my skin, so ...

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe if you pinned the leather to the wood it might add a little more protection, and you could make cool designs.

think brass tacks and indian weapons in western movies
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The leather will serve to insulate but it won't allow for any air circulation for the heat to dissipate, so I think it will get unbearably hot in short order.  Leather has some advantages when used around heat but I think wood is actually a better insulator, plus the wood HGs do allow for air circulation.  Tanned leather also contains tannic acid and tends to hold moisture so it will probably lead to corrosion of the metal underneath.  I've actually had a stainless steel revolver rust once when I left it in a leather holster for an extended period of time.  And then it'll probably be a pain to remove and replace every time you remove the gas tube for cleaning.

Other than that it might look ok in a Khyber sort of way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you should get some ostritch sking and adhesive, and cover the handguards and buttstock with it. Pimpin' ain't easy....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Here's a quick mock-up of what I was thinking. I used a leather sling I usually keep on this rifle. I tried it without the lower handguard also, but there's just not a good way to wrap the leather. I also tried it with the upper handguard on, but this looked the best.

One possibility is to modify some old wood with a recessed area to accomodate the leather wrapping, but I'm not that into it yet. I really think this would look good on an old PSL with some dark stained wood, but my PSL has red wood and is pretty clean looking.

Anyway, more feedback?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
don't really see the point...but if you like it....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Why? Looks like shit. Imho
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't really see the point. You'll also have to take the leather off to clean the gas tube.  I know, it's an AK. You don't have to clean it but I clean mine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you're asking for input, I also don't see what you're getting at.  I understand you want to make a "look" there but I've never seen anyone do that in all the places I've been.  I've seen where things have been tacked into the handguards to give better grips and even saw where adhesive grit was stuck over the handguards.

Perhaps you could find some thin leather and cover the outside of the lower handguard and the upper handguard with leather and get an interesting look that way.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since you're asking for input, I also don't see what you're getting at.  I understand you want to make a "look" there but I've never seen anyone do that in all the places I've been.  I've seen where things have been tacked into the handguards to give better grips and even saw where adhesive grit was stuck over the handguards.

Perhaps you could find some thin leather and cover the outside of the lower handguard and the upper handguard with leather and get an interesting look that way.

^ This, but with ostrich skin

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Slightly getto Liberia look. Throw on a life preserver, tilt that sucker sideways, and you are good to go!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
it's kind of like new coke, obamacare, or the yugo car.  it sounds good, but......
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I would leave it as is and chalk it up to the condition of the hand guards to "Rifle Character" and put the leather on my hands in the form of decent gloves instead of hanging the leather on the rifle, but that's just me.

However, if you are set on adding this onto the rifle I would go also with the additional suggestion of the complementary shooting wear and add the orange life vest.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
there is a member here with a cool post apocalyptic looking AK.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#15]
it looks pretty true to life IMO... when the wood falls off, Haaji wraps that barrel in anything he can get his hands on.. war torn rat guns are cool.. you might even take some steel wool and knock down some of the hight points on that black paint
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
it looks pretty true to life IMO... when the wood falls off, Haaji wraps that barrel in anything he can get his hands on.. war torn rat guns are cool.. you might even take some steel wool and knock down some of the hight points on that black paint

it already looks pretty beat
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats a first for me... beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Two thumbs down..................
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
aligator skin maybe? you cant half ass a crazy idea.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#21]
needs duct tape...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#22]
well, i think u should go with nice wood... but then again, i like nice things.

and you probably dont care what i think.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I think you should find some wood with Arabic stuff carved in it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Rattlesnake skin with the rattle hanging off the sling mount.

Its the only way to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Your rifle doesn't exactly look like its in pristine condition and your worried about some scratched up wood that obviously goes with the look of the rifle?

Unless the wood grips are falling off, why bother? If they are falling off, buy a new set of wood grips from anywhere and modify them to make them fit. The leather wrap might be good if your in the middle of nowhere and thats all you got for grips, but its not going to let the heat vent like stock grips.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
needs duct tape...

that would be ghetto
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:56:32 AM EDT
[#28]
it's already been mentioned once, but I'll reiterate.  Leather will hold moisture and lead to rust.  I've seen several cops' duty weapons get rusty from constantly being left in their leather holsters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Man, some people will do anything to a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Well alrighty.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
it's kind of like new coke, obamacare, or the yugo car.  it sounds good, but......

well said sir
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm voting for an old garden-hose wrap. Then fashion a grip from the spray-nozzel.

Once you're done with that.....go get a job.  (You obviously have too much free time)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top