Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/2/2010 5:17:20 AM EDT
I inherited an AK47 from an uncle and no nothing about its origin, date, value, etc.

What I know: Made by the 386 factory, Imported by KFS in Atlanta. IT is a stamped Poly Technologies.

It has the all light wood furniture, and fold out of the way three blade bayonet. As far I can tell it has not been shot.

Stamped on the reciver is AKS-762

Serial Number is 91105.

Can you all confirm that it is a Pre-Ban, its value?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is preban but that means nothing unless you live in a commie state like CA or NY etc.
Made in China and marketed by PolyTech as shown.  Came in a box with 3 mags, sling and cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I disagree.  While it being a preban rifle means more in certain states, it still means a great deal everywhere else too, to most people.  For one thing it doesn't need any coversion parts or 922(r) BS.  It is has a spike bayo, a threaded muzzle, cleaning rod provisions, and you get to keep the original forged FCG.  It is also a Polytech which, IMO, is the finest commercial AK ever available in the US.

It is a higly sought after, and therefore fairly valuable, AK.  If you still have the box and all of its orinal accessories, manual, etc. it has even higher collector interest and value.  Your uncle did you good by leaving it to you.

Of course if you're wanting to sell it please disregard all I said above and shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Value is at least $1000 as high as $2000 depending on current climate and where its sold.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I disagree.  While it being a preban rifle means more in certain states, it still means a great deal everywhere else too, to most people.  For one thing it doesn't need any coversion parts or 922(r) BS.  It is has a spike bayo, a threaded muzzle, cleaning rod provisions, and you get to keep the original forged FCG.  It is also a Polytech which, IMO, is the finest commercial AK ever available in the US.

It is a higly sought after, and therefore fairly valuable, AK.  If you still have the box and all of its orinal accessories, manual, etc. it has even higher collector interest and value.  Your uncle did you good by leaving it to you.

Of course if you're wanting to sell it please disregard all I said above and shoot me an IM.

I got a PolyTech underfolder with the pig sticker and while it is cool, there are nicer made rifles out there like the ones from Arsenal.  These are not the Holy Grail you know.  Collector interest and "value" can vanish with one signature from a sitting President.......just saying.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
send me some pics im in fenton mo. and would be interested in buying if your selling
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a PolyTech underfolder with the pig sticker and while it is cool, there are nicer made rifles out there like the ones from Arsenal.  These are not the Holy Grail you know.  Collector interest and "value" can vanish with one signature from a sitting President.......just saying.

Sorry, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.  While I don't care for underfolders and don't realy care about the spike bayo either, personally, I'd still take a standard full stock Poly over anything Arsenal offers with comparable features.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
send me some pics im in fenton mo. and would be interested in buying if your selling

I will get some pics to post. Not sure even what to ask if I sold her.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will get some pics to post. Not sure even what to ask if I sold her.

Thanks

why sell it when you have a wonderful rifle that's highly sought after by collectors?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.  While I don't care for underfolders and don't realy care about the spike bayo either, personally, I'd still take a standard full stock Poly over anything Arsenal offers with comparable features.

Ditto,Have to love those chinese AK s
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Lucky you I would keep it They will more than likley never import any more polytechs so it stands to reason that it will go up better than any stock or bond in trade on the market. Keep it in a climate controled area and sit on it if you don't want to use it. or use it and enjoy it great ak.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Your rifles worth about 150.00, I'll be generous and give you 200.00 for it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a stamped receiver obviously, not milled.  That means it doesn't command as high of a value but it's a pre '89 (probably mid-80's) and it definitely worth some money on the open market.  I don't see any reason you'd get any less than $1000 for it.  With all originaly accessories and NIB you'd probably get even more.  Personally, I wouldn't get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes it is preban but that means nothing unless you live in a commie state like CA or NY etc.
Made in China and marketed by PolyTech as shown.  Came in a box with 3 mags, sling and cleaning kit.

Ahh, it means something in every state of the United States.  It means there is no requirement to comply with 922(r) as it was imported prior to the 1989 ban concerning sporting purposes ruling.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
How do I post pictures?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How do I post pictures?

Thanks in advance.

Upload them to a phot hosting site like photobucket, imageshack, etc.  Then just put the img code into your post and the pics will appear in the post.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I disagree that an Arsenal AK is nicer than a PolyTech, I can kinda understand the "Holy Grail" comment.

I compared a $450 MAK-90 to a $1,400 PolyTech two weeks ago, side by side.  And while the PolyTech was a little nicer looking, it certainly wasn't $1,000 nicer looking.  In terms of actual function, if you put a blindfold on me and asked me to tell you which rifle I was firing, I wouldn't be able to do it.  Trigger pull, bolt smoothness, and overall "feel" were exactly the same. (Note: I don't recommend firing an AK blindfolded )  So yeah, in terms of function, there's nothing magical about PolyTechs.  They're good AK's, but then, all of the Chinese AKs were good.

PolyTech's are more rare however, which is what creates that price discrepancy.  Like anything else with an economic value attached to it, there's a demand/supply curve on PolyTechs.  That curve creates a premium price on these rifles.  And in that regard, if you're a collector, yes...the argument could be made that these are a "Holy Grail" of AK rifles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I disagree that an Arsenal AK is nicer than a PolyTech, I can kinda understand the "Holy Grail" comment.

I compared a $450 MAK-90 to a $1,400 PolyTech two weeks ago, side by side.  And while the PolyTech was a little nicer looking, it certainly wasn't $1,000 nicer looking.  In terms of actual function, if you put a blindfold on me and asked me to tell you which rifle I was firing, I wouldn't be able to do it.  Trigger pull, bolt smoothness, and overall "feel" were exactly the same. (Note: I don't recommend firing an AK blindfolded )  So yeah, in terms of function, there's nothing magical about PolyTechs.  They're good AK's, but then, all of the Chinese AKs were good.

PolyTech's are more rare however, which is what creates that price discrepancy.  Like anything else with an economic value attached to it, there's a demand/supply curve on PolyTechs.  That curve creates a premium price on these rifles.  And in that regard, if you're a collector, yes...the argument could be made that these are a "Holy Grail" of AK rifles.

I can fully agree with that assessment.  The Poly's are nicer, but to me not "nicer" enough to justify the price.  I'm not an investor or safe queen collector so I'm only interested in shooters.  I guess that's why I don't own one and only own, or buy, MAK 90's or NHM-90's.  I can't justify the extra $1000, but if not for the money I would prefer a preban rifle for several reasons.

I do still have to stick with my original comment though, since I feel that the Chicoms are the best overall and the Polytechs are the best of the Chicoms.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I am an idiot when it comes to picture sharing. I uploaded tyhem to Photobucket.com, then pasted the direct link to this thread, and nothing showed up.

Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Did this thread just turn into a very strategically-placed advertisment, even if inadvertantly?

OP, it's generally considered bad form, if not outright disallowed, to post links (or quasi-links) to adverts on the technical forum.  If you can figure out how to post pictures on gunbroker, you can figure it out here, too.  It's really not any more difficult.

Send me an IM if you'd like step-by-step instructions, and I'd be happy to help.  In the meantime, you should probably remove the Gunbroker # to avoid this thread being locked.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did this thread just turn into a very strategically-placed advertisment, even if inadvertantly?

OP, it's generally considered bad form, if not outright disallowed, to post links (or quasi-links) to adverts on the technical forum.  If you can figure out how to post pictures on gunbroker, you can figure it out here, too.  It's really not any more difficult.

Send me an IM if you'd like step-by-step instructions, and I'd be happy to help.  In the meantime, you should probably remove the Gunbroker # to avoid this thread being locked.

Removed the Gun Broker thing. Didn't realize it was against the rules. Thanks for the heads-up.  IM sent.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can fully agree with that assessment.  The Poly's are nicer, but to me not "nicer" enough to justify the price.  I'm not an investor or safe queen collector so I'm only interested in shooters.  I guess that's why I don't own one and only own, or buy, MAK 90's or NHM-90's.  I can't justify the extra $1000, but if not for the money I would prefer a preban rifle for several reasons.

I do still have to stick with my original comment though, since I feel that the Chicoms are the best overall and the Polytechs are the best of the Chicoms.

I can fully agree with this.  Did not mean to piss on anyones corn flakes with my statement but like the above poster I do not buy into buying guns for investment, rather they in my opinion are tools for a job that you have in mind.  My PolyTech folder is great but so is my Russian 21-61.  Both have good quality parts, pistol grips and chrome bores as well as bayo mounts if you care to do that.  Yes, Chicom rifles are nice and much better than many AKs.  I guess my opinion is tanted somewhat due to seeing so many various kinds of real FA AKs in SW Asia and in various states of damage and disrepair.  In actual use the cheap Romanian real AKs hold up well just as the East German ones and the Chicom Type 56 rifles seem to hold up good too.  To me any weapon is only as good as the sum of the parts used to make it.  Yes, the PolyTech uses good parts and therefore is a good weapon.  FWIW, has anyone anywhere ever heard of someone being in a jam due solely to 922 parts?  I have not, however this could be added if you catch the attention of the LEO doing something stupid.  Most LEO will not have a clue in hell if a part is a US part or a foreign part.  Just saying...

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#22]

.....No more Chinese Ak's will ever be imported into the country - that in of itself lends it
to some sort of "desireability"

I mean I have owned Polys. Norinco's and now have Arsenals..
Are Chinese Ak's that much better than the Arsenals .... no

But then again the only reason why the "Polytech" line was even marketed was
that the Chinese realized that the "Americans" would pay a premium (pre 89) for an AK that
had a better finish and nicer machining ...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't think this thread turned into an advertisement - at least not from the OP's doing.  It's interesting how someone will ask for information on a rifle they have and many folks (sometimes the same ones each time) always tag that post with nothing constructive other than to try and buy it. Or cleverly written posts semi-alluding to buying it.  I think it was really bold for one of the above members to even direct the OP to send him photos of the rifle - as if this was an advertisement!      At the very least, send the OP a PM or e-mail to try and grease up his hands to get it.  But if you don't have anything helpful to offer, get the hell out of the post.  

I think it's jackballs such as that which start making an innocent post into something it's not.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#24]
One thing that I always find interesting is that in the US, Chinese AKs are usually considered a good, or even the best, make.

In Afghanistan, Chinese AKs were normally considered to be of lesser quality than any AK except for some Pakistani stuff.

Big difference of opinion there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]
A lot of that thinking in Iraq/Afghanistan stemmed from equating:  Russia = invented the AK = best.  That's how many think on that subject.  I can actually remember text from an interview conducted with Mikhail Kalashnikov which quoted him as stating he believed the Yugoslavian M70B1 and M70AB2 style rifles were the best incorporation of his original design.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#26]
...funny, once read a quote where he considered the Bulgarian rifles to be superior to the Russians...

I love the Yugos (they made crappy cars though) receivers - but I like a chrome line barrel in a military weapon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A lot of that thinking in Iraq/Afghanistan stemmed from equating:  Russia = invented the AK = best.  That's how many think on that subject.  I can actually remember text from an interview conducted with Mikhail Kalashnikov which quoted him as stating he believed the Yugoslavian M70B1 and M70AB2 style rifles were the best incorporation of his original design.

Quoted:
...funny, once read a quote where he considered the Bulgarian rifles to be superior to the Russians...

I love the Yugos (they made crappy cars though) receivers - but I like a chrome line barrel in a military weapon.

i guess he changed his mind about the Yugo after seeing the Bulgarian. between the two, i'd go Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Personal preferences I am sure but I own factory built Yugos, Polytechs, and Arsenals and I can tell you based on the guns I own the fit and finish on the Yugos far exceeds the rest with only the Polytech about neck and neck. Both far exceed any factory built Bulgarian I own or have seen. With that said I love my Arsenal guns so no knock on them. The blueing, fit and finish, on my Yugo M76 is the nicest I have ever seen on any AK type rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never owned a pre ban Yugo, but I do have a few pre ban Chicoms and quite a few Arsenal rifles.  I'd have to say hands down the Chicoms are my preference.  Congrats to the OP for getting a nice pre ban and I hope you enjoy it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can fully agree with this.  Did not mean to piss on anyones corn flakes with my statement but like the above poster I do not buy into buying guns for investment, rather they in my opinion are tools for a job that you have in mind.  My PolyTech folder is great but so is my Russian 21-61.  Both have good quality parts, pistol grips and chrome bores as well as bayo mounts if you care to do that.  Yes, Chicom rifles are nice and much better than many AKs.  I guess my opinion is tanted somewhat due to seeing so many various kinds of real FA AKs in SW Asia and in various states of damage and disrepair.  In actual use the cheap Romanian real AKs hold up well just as the East German ones and the Chicom Type 56 rifles seem to hold up good too.  To me any weapon is only as good as the sum of the parts used to make it.  Yes, the PolyTech uses good parts and therefore is a good weapon.  FWIW, has anyone anywhere ever heard of someone being in a jam due solely to 922 parts?  I have not, however this could be added if you catch the attention of the LEO doing something stupid.  Most LEO will not have a clue in hell if a part is a US part or a foreign part.  Just saying...

I guess one of my biggest issues with converted 922(r) compliant rifles is in the FCGs.  Yeah, I know that we haven't seen a history of failures with them, but I guess I'm just old fashioned enough to trust FCG parts milled from forged steel more than those made from investment castings.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]
One thing to remember is everyone is comparing commercially imported and built semi-auto AK's.  Things are a little different with the actual military-issue AK's built by many of those countries' factories and during different eras.  For example, there's a world of difference between an commercial semi-auto Arsenal-built Bulgarian AK and one built for the military.  Same with the Chinese.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#32]
....but then again I have never seen or heard of anyone being prosecuted for 922 Compliance ... personally I think its a paper tiger.

I agree - the Original Yugos with Teak wood and the Pre ban Hungarians imported by Kassner were some of the nicest finished Ak's
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One thing that I always find interesting is that in the US, Chinese AKs are usually considered a good, or even the best, make.

In Afghanistan, Chinese AKs were normally considered to be of lesser quality than any AK except for some Pakistani stuff.

I think of those AK's that are available to us in the U.S., the Chinese-made variants probably are amongst the best.  Compared to all of the AK's that we have available, how many times have you ever heard of a problem with a Chinese variant?  With over one million having been imported into the U.S., and hearing so little about problems with them, I think the Chinese AKs likely deserve their solid reputation.  

The Afghani people (and tribal people all over, really) have a lot of different beliefs that many of us would consider to be superstitious, bizarre, or just plain silly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think of those AK's that are available to us in the U.S., the Chinese-made variants probably are amongst the best.  Compared to all of the AK's that we have available, how many times have you ever heard of a problem with a Chinese variant?  With over one million having been imported into the U.S., and hearing so little about problems with them, I think the Chinese AKs likely deserve their solid reputation.  

The Afghani people (and tribal people all over, really) have a lot of different beliefs that many of us would consider to be superstitious, bizarre, or just plain silly.

I think the Afghans base their ideas about AKs on lifespan.  The Russian and Euro guns just seem to run longer than the Chinese guns in the Afghan environment.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#35]
daz just plane silly, what facts do u base this on?
Quoted:
I think the Afghans base their ideas about AKs on lifespan.  The Russian and Euro guns just seem to run longer than the Chinese guns in the Afghan environment.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
daz just plane silly, what facts do u base this on?
Quoted:

I worked with Afghans all the time.  There is definitely a preference for Russian rifles.  They believe that the Russian stuff lasts longest.  Chinese rifles are definitely regarded as the least desirable rifle.   Based on the number of beat to shit rifles in circulation over there, their opinion probably has some merit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#37]
well the russian ak's have hammer forged chrome lined barrels so it's understandable how their barrels last longer than the chinese ones.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Such things are often believed by the Afghani but there's no real way to state it as fact.  There's a great deal of Russian Type I's, II's, and III's as well as early Chinese Type 56 rifles still out there running fairly solidly.  That fact that there's tons of early Chinese Type 56 rifles still running in some of the harshest environments in South East Asia is quite a testament to the Chinese rifles, as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn thats one fine looking AK man...keep it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
well the russian ak's have hammer forged chrome lined barrels so it's understandable how their barrels last longer than the chinese ones.

Chinese AK's have chrome lined barrels as well.

I beleive Yugo's are the only ones that don't
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese AK's have chrome lined barrels as well.

I beleive Yugo's are the only ones that don't

yes i know but are they hammer forged like the Russian and Bulgarian barrels?

p.s. i'm not hating on the chinese rifles, i'm just agreeing with the opinion that the russian barrels might last a bit longer than the chinese ones.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top