Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I think these are about to hit Classic Arms Web site some time tommorow as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
These weapons were subcontracted by Century and NOT built in house but I don't know who ATM is. The parkerizing is very nice and not splotchy or uneven. Our price on the rifle is $695.

As for less expensive milled AK's, I didn't know there where others this cheap.

thanks,
Ron

I am not the world's authority on these rifles, but I do remember that Federal Arms Corporation (FAC) used to be in Fridley and Century bought them out when they went belly up.   I would offer a guess that some of the old FAC people are building these.   I am struggling to remember the name right now but they had a builder who had a pretty good reputation back in the day.    Now we are talking several years back........He was also a good guy to deal with and I bought an SLR-101 from them way back then........I am ashamed that I cannot remember his name........It will come to me in the middle of the night.....That's how my memory sometimes works.......(edit;  It did.   Harlan)  Anyway, these just might be a good buy.....Other than headspacing or crooked sights, it is pretty hard to mess up a milled ak and these look good.    Thanks for your post.   It's very helpful.    Well, back on my knees begging the wife for permission to purchase yet another new rifle, I suppose........

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The most common reliability issue with semi-autos of all designs can most often be traced to mags.  Original mil-surp mags are well proven and very reliable.  The same can't be said of the crapco mags.  While I would prefer forged FCG parts over MIM parts I'd still take the G2 FCG over the Tapco mags any day of the week if I needed the compliance parts.  With US FCG parts you are legal with any mag that's put in the gun.  If you use the mags to meet compliance you're stuck with aftermarket mags forever.

On a milled receiver Ak, and assuming the barrel and slant brake are both US made, you only need two more US parts to make it legally a US built rifle.  The trigger and disco is all that's needed so you can retain the original piston, furniture and mags.

I do agree about the marking location.  Still a nice looking rifle though.

most/some people here just dont konw what they are talking about. I have 3 "crapco" mags that work just as well as my surplus magazines. Id be interested if you have real experience or are just throwing poo because you read it on the internet?
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The most common reliability issue with semi-autos of all designs can most often be traced to mags.  Original mil-surp mags are well proven and very reliable.  The same can't be said of the crapco mags.  While I would prefer forged FCG parts over MIM parts I'd still take the G2 FCG over the Tapco mags any day of the week if I needed the compliance parts.  With US FCG parts you are legal with any mag that's put in the gun.  If you use the mags to meet compliance you're stuck with aftermarket mags forever.

On a milled receiver Ak, and assuming the barrel and slant brake are both US made, you only need two more US parts to make it legally a US built rifle.  The trigger and disco is all that's needed so you can retain the original piston, furniture and mags.

most/some people here just dont konw what they are talking about. I have 3 "crapco" mags that work just as well as my surplus magazines. Id be interested if you have real experience or are just throwing poo because you read it on the internet?

Tapco mags work just as well, there just not as durable imo.

Do a search on the AK drop test. The Tapco mags cracked repeatedly when dropped. That being said, unless you plan on using your AK in a war you'll probably be fine with Tapco magazines.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a search on the AK drop test. The Tapco mags cracked repeatedly when dropped. That being said, unless you plan on using your AK in a war you'll probably be fine with Tapco magazines.

I needed a USA Mag. to be sure my AMD-65 met the 922r requirement's, the Mag. that shipped with the AMD-65 just came apart after being loaded with 30rds. Everything just came flying out,never could find the floor plate.

I ordered two TAPCO 20rd Mags not to use but just to have in case I get checked out by the BATF.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
J&G Sales also just got some of these rifles in.  They have some good photos on their site that give a better view of the rifle...:

Polish milled AK
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it just me or does that receiver look like a casting?
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How can you tell?
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see.. Well if the tapcos ever failed I still have the surplus mags to fall back on. I just think most people talk bad about them because its tapco & while I havent owned anythin other than their slant brake, mags and g2 fcg, I wouldnt buy anything else they sell for the ak.

I also wouldnt buy this rifle, even if it cost $100.. I spent way too much money getting my century m70 to work right.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you tell?

The shape of the lightening cuts and the markings for the serial number, manufacturer, model, cal, etc all look to have been molded in when casted.  Similar to the markings on the slide of a CZ-75B.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you tell?

The shape of the lightening cuts and the markings for the serial number, manufacturer, model, cal, etc all look to have been molded in when casted.  Similar to the markings on the slide of a CZ-75B.

Well that's too bad. Probably the lack of a bayonet lug and chrome lined barrel is a bummer though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
looks like it has a bayonet lug to me, maybe im missing something?

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone have a handle on how many of these rifles are expected to be released totally? I'm just wondering what the window of opportunity time wise will be to purchase one?   Bill T.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I looked at one today it has no bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a handle on how many of these rifles are expected to be released totally? I'm just wondering what the window of opportunity time wise will be to purchase one?   Bill T.

My local dealer had one I looked at today,so they are being supplied when ordered. how long this will last I have no idea. Until after Jan 01 2010 and I wirh draw some cash from my IRA, I can't buy one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at one today it has no bayonet lug.

It doesn't need a bayonet lug...  it's for a type-1 style bayonet that locks on to the front of th gas block.  The bayonet lug is for the AKM style Bayonet.

Like this...

LINK
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]
The models offered from J&G Sales are advertised as coming with a period correct bayonet. I'm thinking of making the trip up there tomorrow. I'd like to get at least one. Milled AK's are becoming more and more like a thing of the past.  Bill T.

CORRECTION They, (J&G Sales), are selling the bayonets for $19.95. that fit the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:My local dealer had one I looked at today,so they are being supplied when ordered.

Rifleshooter,

Were you happy with the way they looked for the $700.00 price they seem to be fetching?  Bill T.

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well that's too bad. Probably the lack of a bayonet lug and chrome lined barrel is a bummer though.

Bayonet lugs:

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayonet lugs:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/pol.jpg

Isn't that for the cleaning rod?
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:My local dealer had one I looked at today,so they are being supplied when ordered.

Rifleshooter,

Were you happy with the way they looked for the $700.00 price they seem to be fetching?  Bill T.

Well I did not really like the stocks finish or the forearm wood color, they don't match not even close. The action was smooth but my new Arsenal SGL20 also my AMD-65 have smooth actions.
As far as the metal finish it's good, but not a deal maker to me. That $700 price even for a Mill receiver seems pretty steep. Don't think I will be " fetching?" one soon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayonet lugs:

The little "fangs" are the lugs.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Rifleshooter,

I'm taking the trip up to Prescott tomorrow. If they are nice I'll pony up for 2 of them, if not. I'll grab another Yugo underfolder. I know they are nice.  Bill T.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayonet lugs:

Uh, no... those are for a cleaning rod.  Nothing to do w/the lug.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayonet lugs:

There is no lug. The one I looked at today had none. You get a bayonet but you get no bayonet lug. Many don't get a cleaning rod as if that was anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
the "fangs" are the lug for the type 1 bayonet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

the "fangs" are the lug for the type 1 bayonet.

EXACTLY. Maybe it's been too long since guns were imported that people forgot about them....

IIRC, there were some Chinese ones that made it through with "no lug" but had the fangs, and those the ATF weren't too happy about when they figured it out.

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing the barrels are not polish correct? Also, why do they always replace the trigger with a tapco one? If they wanted compliance parts they could just buy a tapco magazine instead.

IMHO, the Tapco trigger is one of the best triggers out there. The only other triggers that I can think of that are just a bit higher in quality were the trigger installed in Norinco's and Polytech's. Besides, I don't think you will find many folks who would take a Tapco magazine over a factory military magazine.

thanks,
Ron

I don't trust American companies with anything AK related. If anything would go wrong, I'd rather it be with the magazine then the trigger.

Tapco triggers are good to go.  considering that many reliability issues with semi autos are contributed to magazines your logic is shaky
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, or unless you actually plan on using the mags in a gun.  

Tapco mags are garbage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tapco mags are garbage.

If you have actually used Tapco magazines, and hate them so much, feel free to send yours to me, I'll pay shipping.

For "garbage" mags, mine have ran 100% a-ok fine, through carbine courses, being dropped, being loaded/unloaded repeatedly, being used to do "spetznaz" style mag changes, rattling around in the back of a truck on the way to the range, etc etc.

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Uh, yes.  Maybe this will help.  Early bayonet lugs were on the sight base not the gas block.

Milled bulgarian with the same lugs or "fangs".

Early bayonet, notice where the release button is located.

Notice how the catch on the bayonet lines up with the fangs.

Bayonet on rifle.

Gratuitous shot of rifle.

You dont need fangs to hold the cleaning rod.  Notice the "newer" style bayonet lug on the gas block.

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Classic Arms now has these rifles up on their website. Price $689.95

http://www.classicarms.us/

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I bet they will just be swamped with orders.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I was actually going to pull the trigger on one of these but yesterday Wise Lite arms informed me that they had a milled M70 fixed stock (just one) for only $50 more.

Needless to say, I went with the Wise Lite build.  Milled M70 goodness for Christmas...
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, yes.  Maybe this will help.  Early bayonet lugs were on the sight base not the gas block.

Milled bulgarian with the same lugs or "fangs".
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1953.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1954.jpg

Early bayonet, notice where the release button is located.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1955.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1956.jpg

Notice how the catch on the bayonet lines up with the fangs.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1957.jpg

Bayonet on rifle.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1965.jpg

Gratuitous shot of rifle.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1966.jpg

You dont need fangs to hold the cleaning rod.  Notice the "newer" style bayonet lug on the gas block.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/100_1970.jpg

Thanks for schooling us on that, I have a SLR100H that has the fangs and all along thought it sucked how I couldn't attach a bayo
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet they will just be swamped with orders.

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was actually going to pull the trigger on one of these but yesterday Wise Lite arms informed me that they had a milled M70 fixed stock (just one) for only $50 more.

Needless to say, I went with the Wise Lite build.  Milled M70 goodness for Christmas...

Could you post a picture?
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Needless to say, I went with the Wise Lite build. Milled M70 goodness for Christmas...

Could you post a picture?

I just bought the rifle this morning, don't have it in my possession yet.  They only had the one rifle, and it wasn't listed on Wise Lite's website.  It pays to call/e-mail around.

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I believe Wiselite has been doing several re-welds of the milled guns.  It appears they may be digging in to do more of them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I believe Wiselite has been doing several re-welds of the milled guns. It appears they may be digging in to do more of them.

I originally heard that Wise Lite was doing builds over on the AK Forum.  They seem to be doing quite a few these days.  They have some listed on their website and Gunbroker now.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
yeah what's up w/the circle/swirl marks???

Those are cutter marks from the mill. It wouldn't be cost effective to polish them out, nor is it necessary on a battle rifle. You have to remember it's not a $3,500.00 Beretta O/U. Polishing of barrels, receivers and the like is not a process that can be automated. It's why a Weatherby Mark V DeLuxe cost upwards of $2,000.00 today. The more workers put their hands on a gun, the more it's going to cost.  Bill T.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayonet lugs:

Nyet.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Honestly I wasn't as impressed when I got one in my hands.....mag wobble like a mofo
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for schooling us on that, I have a SLR100H that has the fangs and all along thought it sucked how I couldn't attach a bayo

Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 4:14:16 AM EDT
[#47]
if someone have concession and a lot of $$ its possible to import this:

http://www.works11.pl/?product_id=21264&category_id=509

semi
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
if someone have concession and a lot of $$ its possible to import this:

http://www.works11.pl/?product_id=21264&category_id=509

semi

What does that amount translate into U.S. Dollars?  Bill T.

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#49]
about  $1136
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#50]
The one in the pic can't be imported. It has the fa 3rd pin.
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top