Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2006 12:23:36 PM EDT
I need you guys opinions on the KVANT PK-23 and the PK-01V. Do you like either of them? Any advantages, disadvatages? Are they any better than my Kobra?

I tried the Discussion forum but there was no response, I figured I might have better luck here ...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:33:48 AM EDT
Of the ones you mentioned the Kobra is definitely my first choice 'cause it uses std AA batteries, has no parallax or eye relief plus multiple reticles & brightness levels. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:08:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:07:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 7:14:57 AM EDT by some_finn]

Originally Posted By RS39:
I have yet to try a PK-23 so I do not really know if the dot pulse is a fast cycle that just makes it more visible, or a lousy fluorescent bulb stutter.

I'm happy with mine. I feel the pulse effect makes the dot easier/faster to pick up, but on the other hand it's maybe not the choice for high precision shooting. But neither is the average AK, etc...

I don't like the Kobra as it's not weather proof. The diode is open to the elements, it won't work in rain or snow. I wonder why some people claim it's supposed to be a serious "combat optic" with such a problem. Wouldn't trust one here in Finland, nor in Russia for that matter. OK in Nevada or such place I suppose.
Could easily ruin a range day and is known to have f**ked up a practical shooting competition for some unlucky guys whose Kobras were disabled by rain.

Everybody who have tried the PK-01V seem to like it, I haven't found an excuse to get one yet.
The latest model uses AAA batteries so would seem like an interesting option.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
Thanks guys. If anyone else have an opinion on this matter I'd be glad to hear from you ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:39:48 AM EDT
I have a PK-01 on my SAR-2 and like it a lot. The dot is a lot smaller and sharper than on most red dot optics. A nice feature for shooting at 100 yards plus. I am in the market for another.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:14:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomac:
Of the ones you mentioned the Kobra is definitely my first choice 'cause it uses std AA batteries, has no parallax or eye relief plus multiple reticles & brightness levels. HTH...
Tomac

Tomac, how does the Kobra do in very low light conditions? I am somewhat wary of what seems to be the color of the glass it has, do you think that makes any difference? (Or do the pictures exaggerate the color effect?)

Z
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:40:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
Tomac, how does the Kobra do in very low light conditions? I am somewhat wary of what seems to be the color of the glass it has, do you think that makes any difference? (Or do the pictures exaggerate the color effect?)
Z

If I understand your question correctly then I haven't had any trouble w/it regardless of ambient light level (or lack thereof... ) I had a friend check it from the front for visible light during very dark conditions and you can see a faint dot if you're (very) close enough but as my friend said "by the time I'm close enough to see it I'm already dead". Yes, the lens isn't 100% transparent due to the coating but that doesn't seem to interfere when shooting w/both eyes open.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:20:46 AM EDT
I have a PK-01V which I really liked up until the point that it DIED on me. I'll probably chuck it and use the mount for a 30mm red dot from a major American maker, maybe Millet or Burris.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:51:29 PM EDT
I recently bought a PK-23 for an AR and like it a lot. The pulsating light does make it easier to see depsite the fact it is very small. Very well built with a nice sharp 1.5 moa dot.

I bought mine from psop.ru and it was shipped promptly.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:26:53 PM EDT
I just bought a PK-AS over the bore setting, I'm very impressed by it. You do not get cheek rest but you do get chin rest. Somewhere I read that the russians prefer this...
The red dot is very bring in the highest setting, and when turned off you can still clearly see the black dot, i believe its 2MOA big! I bought 20 batteries on ebay for $4 shipped, heh..
I bought it from posp.ru for $195 shipped and it took 10 days for the optic to get here, very pleased with their service!
I will take this red dot to the range on friday, I have high expectations from it! I think it will meet them.
Top Top