Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:53:28 PM EDT
I have this scope that was given to me by a soldier I served in Iraq with and I'm trying to identify it. I found a few pictures doing a google search and this scope that I have appears to be similar to a PSO-1 scope. The websites showed some scopes for sale that use AA batteries but the battery compartment on this is different. The english instructions states that this scope uses an SR 44 silver oxide battery which is a watch battery. There are also some additional features on this scope that are not on the commercial variants. The instruction book is labeled "Instruction for telescopic sight, Type 1985, used for sniping rifle". The english in the instructions is very bad.

In the instruction scan below, it talks about an infra-red system...Although I've been in the army for 17 years, I don't know much outside of the concept of how infra-red works. Is this telling me that this scope is also a "night vision" scope in a limited way?

What kind of value may this have?

So, if there are any scope experts out there, let me know what you think. Here are some photos and scans.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:33:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:44:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 6:46:20 PM EDT by frick]
Whats strange is why would an english translated scope end up in Iraq?

Hell most stuff from Russia intended for the USA still doesnt have english translations.

As for the infra red detection, and I cant see from the pics, but on my NDM 86, there is a lever on the left side, right in front and below the upper scope turret, and it flips down a filter that will show the presence of Infra red light on the battlefield, IE, like the lamp on an M3 Carbine, or like the small IR illuminators on most NV scopes.

I dont think Ive seen that on any russian scopes brought in here, they delete the filter and knob so its not "Military", even though I doubt anybody is running around with IR illuminators during a fire fight, because even modern NV device pick it up as well.

UPDATE:

The upper stuff was my first thoughts, IE, russia sends Iraq their stuff, but the bad language didnt seem right to me, AND the wood box in can made me think......

I went and got out my NDM 86 can, and BINGO, thats a chinese copy of the scope, just like the one on my NDM.

Right down to the included screwdriver on the bottom, my can doesnt have the two upper numbers on the face of the can, but my include factory book has the exact same 10 in triangle stamp in the acceptance booklet, and page nine is exactly the same print as the instuction book.

Mystery solved. Value? I dont know, for a purist, that scope is more military than ANY russian import because of the deleted IR feature, but in the real world a lot of non chinese collectors feel that there stuff must be bad, because its made in china.

One other note, yours was made about three years before mine, and my rifle has a low three digit serial number, and I was told it was an early Navy Arms distributed gun when I bought it, so if that was correct, that scope hit the US shores early.

BTW, initially I assumed this scope was possibly "found" somewhere other than the US? I know no one would ever bring back stuff from Iraq, but if it didnt start out here, it must have had an interesting trip.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 8:52:09 PM EDT by SgtSauer]
Frick,
I did some additional research today as well. I have drawn the same conclusion that you did. My wooden box contains two extra bulbs that are illustrated as chinese bulbs on dragunov.net. The IR switch is present. So, my conclusion is that this scope was provided to Iraq by China. The Chinese marketed a Type 1985 SVD sniper rifle which would explain the labeling on the owners manual. It has all english markings though, no chinese.

I really appreciate everyones help.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:19:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SgtSauer:
Frick,
I did some additional research today as well. I have drawn the same conclusion that you did. My wooden box contains two extra bulbs that are illustrated as chinese bulbs on dragunov.net. The IR switch is present. So, my conclusion is that this scope was provided to Iraq by China. The Chinese marketed a Type 1985 SVD sniper rifle which would explain the labeling on the owners manual. It has all english markings though, no chinese.

I really appreciate everyones help.

If you're interested in selling please drop me an email/IM. Thx!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:10:42 AM EDT
Tomac,
Im interested because I will probably never buy an SVD to put it on. I put batteries in it for the first time last night and it works great. The reticle lights up a green/yellow color. You can make me an offer.

I'm taking it to a gunshow this weekend to see what kind of value it may have.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:17:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SgtSauer:
Tomac,
Im interested because I will probably never buy an SVD to put it on. I put batteries in it for the first time last night and it works great. The reticle lights up a green/yellow color. You can make me an offer.

I'm taking it to a gunshow this weekend to see what kind of value it may have.

Email/IM sent, thx!...
Tomac
Top Top