Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:17:50 PM EDT
Are the side scopes mounts for AK 74 and AK 47 any good?  Are they stable and solid.  I have never actually seen one so I don't really know much about them.

I am looking at buying one of the Special Edition AK 74 which come with the side scope mounts so I just want to find some information out about these mounts.

To me these mounts do not look very good.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The side scope mounts are as stable as the scope mount you put on them.  Not trying to be a smartass but that's the truth.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok so I do not have anything to worry about with them then?

You can only mount the Russian scopes on them right?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok so I do not have anything to worry about with them then?

Yes

and

Yes.

The critical item is to adjust the rail clamp on the mount correctly. Go to the "Optics" section on this board and look for the superb instructions Tantal has made available.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Is this not the same side mount that is, for example, on the SAR-1 AK-47?

If it is, then you can mount any of a number of scope mounts then you can mount any sort of scope or red dot that you desire.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The mount sold by Tantal that you have to install yourself is a much better made mount than the ones that actually come on the SAR rifles.

He sends mounting instructions and a template to drill by but it is tricky..and if you screw up the drilling of the holes your in trouble..

I had to TIG weld one of my buddies rifles he tried to drill for it because he was off on the lower hole enough that it would not line up..

Not really a problem if you have access to a welder or someone who can weld back up a mistake but if ya don't it could be irritating..

Just like with anything else take your time, get you measurements correct.. check and then double check.. before you actually drill..
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
They work very well. There are also several options for brackets that include 1" rings or weaver bases for mounting western optics. BUt the commie optics are great bargains most of the time.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top