BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 11:19:49 PM EDT
slr104fr.

Unimak railed gas tube installed.

Suggestions for undecided optics needed.

Red dot (2moa?) on rail (yeech, could be better for precision - better at distance - this rifle can make the mark, right?) or stock left hand rail mount that allows for left-handed fold without removal with some flavor of Vortex scope (great stuff)?

Red dot, want 1/3 co-witness and good cheek weld...

or mount that allows irons to be utilized with scope and still fold, would prefer slim and trim scope.

Have Vortex Sparc AR on SMG for home defense, plus a backup or 2.

Have Vortex PST on 5.56 AR (I like it except un-illuminated horizonal tics, makes for nice range finder if you can size up your target at distance and think quick).

Nikon M-223 BDC on RR with bi-pod. Nikon Monarch floating around looking for a home as well - 3x9/42 as I recall.

AK74, what to do (hardly my go-to for home defense)???

Open for QD mounts on either (kinda my preference).

Prefer to back-pack tote, folded, like the sub2k (which has no optics yet) rather than a 35" BullDog.

Ideas?

Can I use anything I have with the right mount and get up close and friendly in the process?

Am I asking too much for a guy on a budget?

I'm an AK nOOb, go easy!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Low pro style dot on the railed gas tube. To keep the side folder function, you're forced to move the dot forward. If you don't care for side folding capes, then buy rs regulate. Lots of options.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Attero works really well also, for a red dot

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking to keep the folding function your best bet is probably some kind of red dot on the gas tube or the mount Zen posted. The more popular budget friendly ones are the Bushnell TRS-25 or one of the Primary Arms offerings. If you're going to backpack it folded that kinda leaves any magnified optics out of the equation unless you want to get a railed dust cover, which would add to the cost.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Primary Arms 5x Prism scope on an RS Regulate side mount.  It feels really good on my SLR-104FR.  It doesn't let the stock fold, but it's easy to pop on and off and is supposed to return to zero (I haven't had a chance to try it after taking it off yet).

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPA5X&name=Primary+Arms+5X+Prism+Scope+w%2f+.223%2f5.56%2c+5.45x39%2c+.308+ACSS+Reticle&groupid=6341
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XRSAK300AKOG&name=RS+Products+AKOG+Trijicon+and+similar+ACOG%C2%AE+style+optics+mount&groupid=8887
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XRSAK303&name=RS+Products+AK-303M+Full+Length+Optic+Mount+Base&groupid=8887

It's not on sale now, but I got my scope from AIM last Black Friday for $240, if I remember right.  So you can wait and get it cheaper on sale.  But the RS mounts almost never seem to go on sale.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Dug up a stashed Monarch UCC 3-9x40. Crazy to think a mega-long cantilever on a Unimak would work? No idea if the rifle has the accuracy to justify such a scope

Prefer to keep it a folder.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I personally do not like the Ultimak after having 3 of them.

AKs are made with a side rail for a reason. Use it! RS Regulate or the new Midwest Ind Gen 2 side mounts are the way to go.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally do not like the Ultimak after having 3 of them.

AKs are made with a side rail for a reason. Use it! RS Regulate or the new Midwest Ind Gen 2 side mounts are the way to go.

YMMV
View Quote
Not all AK's are created the same My Arsenal SLR 105 did not come with a side rail or threads for a break
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
No side rail?  The AK Master Mount may be your solution.

http://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/AK-Master-Mount-AK-Master-Mount.htm
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Went with Midwest, now if t will hold zero...
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're looking to keep the folding function your best bet is probably some kind of red dot on the gas tube or the mount Zen posted. The more popular budget friendly ones are the Bushnell TRS-25 or one of the Primary Arms offerings. If you're going to backpack it folded that kinda leaves any magnified optics out of the equation unless you want to get a railed dust cover, which would add to the cost.
View Quote
Will the Primary Arms micro dots on the Ultimak rail allow you to co witness irons?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Disregard.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top