Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 9:58:27 PM EDT by Woody600]
My number one concern is mag reliability, I see East German AK mags for half that of Romanian mags. Any particular reason, can they both be expected to give the same performance?

EDIT: I mean I see Romanian mags for 1/2 of what EG mags go for. Also, I correct the terrible grammar employed in the thread title.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:35:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:51:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Woody600:
My number one concern is mag reliability, I see East German AK mags for half that of Romanian mags. Any particular reason, can they both be expected to give the same performance?

EDIT: I mean I see Romanian mags for 1/2 of what EG mags go for. Also, I correct the terrible grammar employed in the thread title.

Any Eastern European steel mag will offer absoulute reliability in terms of fit, form and function. Also, 99% of vendors advertising "East German" mags are just selling Romanian mags. East German mags dried up in any sizeabile quantity 5 years ago.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mbsk01:
As long as they aren't made in the U.S., you can't go wrong.

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:49:20 PM EDT
www.thesportsmansguide.com

They have steel Polish 30 round 7.62x39mm mags for 9.97 each if you buy two or more. I got two from them, scratches on the finish but no dents and they are reliable and cheap. I reccomend them.

I have never tried a Pro-Mag (the American made ones that are supposed to suck) but I do wonder why they are supposed to suck. Fit? Reliability? Do they have too strong or too weak springs? I am curious if anyone has had one work for them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:49:16 PM EDT
I have a few coupons for the Sportsman's Guide, I'll get those, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:50:21 PM EDT
I came into possesion of 4 aftermarket AK magazines when I bought a box of AK magazines at a gunshow. These were included as were misc. magazines from a Valmet, Galil and VZ58. I have had hundreds of rounds through these aftermarket magazines and they work very well. I have not had any problems with them, though with the hundreds of AK magazines I have owned, only three were used as targets. AK magazines are very simple and robust, and AK's aren't exactly picky.
In all reality, the people making the aftermarket "junk" are much more qualified and using much better machinery than the people who are making the milspec magazines. I would advocate the purchase of aftermarket magazines for any weapon, but in the case of the AK, it probably doesn't matter and my experience reflects this. The polymer "waffle" magazines are likely the best AK

magazines availible, though they are expensive and lack the durability of original steel magazines.
Yugoslavian magazines are also excellent as they incorperate a bolt hold open device on the follower. Otherwise, any milspec AK magazine should be durable and reliable and provided they are made properly, they should all be about equal with no one country being better than any other.
Besides Yugoslavian magazines for my M70, I buy whatever milspec magazines are the cheapest.
I have Chinese, Romainian, Russian, East German,Hungarian, Bulgarian and there are probably more I forgot to list. IMO, all of which have proven to be equally good with no one being any better.
Provided that the magazine is "in spec" and is a military magazine, it whould be just fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:29:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hootbro:
Any Eastern European steel mag will offer absoulute reliability in terms of fit, form and function. Also, 99% of vendors advertising "East German" mags are just selling Romanian mags. East German mags dried up in any sizeabile quantity 5 years ago.

Hootbro

How do you tell the East German Steel Mags from the Romanian Steel Mags if there are
no arsenal markings on either???
-JD
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:36:38 PM EDT
You can't, really. That is part of the marketing scam that the sellers use. I don't trust origin of the mags unless they have a sticker still on them from a reputable importer. I tend to prefer the polymer type mags as they are lighter. The Bulgy waffles are excellent but are getting pricier every month. I also like the Valmets and I am getting ready to get some Polish slabsides. Good luck with your purchases!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:30:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 7:31:02 PM EDT by Hootbro]

Originally Posted By HotLead:

Originally Posted By Hootbro:

Hootbro

How do you tell the East German Steel Mags from the Romanian Steel Mags if there are
no arsenal markings on either???
-JD

Main thing to look for is the longer stamp bump in the floor plate as pictured below. Also, true new East German mags will have a very nice blueing luster to them versus the Romanians having a blue over park type look to them. To be really safe, buy on price first and hope later they turn out to be East German mags. Either way, you will still have a good serviceabile mag.

Hootbro

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:39:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RodMI:

Originally Posted By Mbsk01:
As long as they aren't made in the U.S., you can't go wrong.

+1

+2!
Top Top