Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/18/2003 1:27:20 AM EDT
Can anyone answer why there are so many red plastic(are they really bakelite?) ak-74 magazines out there and why there is not the same thing for ak-47? I love the feel and look of those bakelite mags, I can find them for my 74 but not for my 47.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
They are a more modern form of baklite.  I tossed a bad one nto the fire once and when it came out it was still in its origional shape.  The bakelite part was gone, but there was a fiberous material interwoven through the plastic that held up until I squeezed it.  Bakelite in its origional form would be too brittle to stand up to what they needed it to, and this meathod really seams to work.

Bakelite is the first commercial plastic and is quite good at what it does.  It is still somewhat common in Europe, and is cheap most of all.

There are a few Bakelite mags in 7.62, but I think they are in the $50+ range if they can be found.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Obershutze, you are absolutely correct in that those "bakelite" mags are bulletproof and now I learn that they are practically fireproof too, I shoot those red mags from my 74 and they always go bang. Wish I could get a hold of two of those 47 "bakelite" mags, I would be happy. thanks Obershutze.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Bakelites better than the steel mags as well.

Much lighter and better looking IMHO
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the bakelite mags to, however, I have heard that if they are hit by a bullet they will shatter really bad. Guess it would suck to dig out bakelite from your hip! Could be just BS though. I would hate shoot a mag to find out :(
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
There is not much in the way that would stop any bullet be it a bakelite or steel
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If my mag were just shot out of my rifle, I think I would be more concerned with getting behind cover at the time than worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If a or many bullets are bouncin' off my gun or in front of me, it's time to get real low and let lose with all remainin' ammo in a wide sweep in the general direction of the aforemention bullets.:E[He who duck the fastest get the target later/quote]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
They were available several years ago but not in large quantities.  I have some from China but I don't remember if many ever came from Warsaw Pact countries.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They are a more modern form of baklite.  I tossed a bad one nto the fire once and when it came out it was still in its origional shape.  The bakelite part was gone, but there was a fiberous material interwoven through the plastic that held up until I squeezed it.  Bakelite in its origional form would be too brittle to stand up to what they needed it to, and this meathod really seams to work.

Bakelite is the first commercial plastic and is quite good at what it does.  It is still somewhat common in Europe, and is cheap most of all.

There are a few Bakelite mags in 7.62, but I think they are in the $50+ range if they can be found.

The orange mags are made from AG-4S, the manufacturer's name for glass-fiber-reinforced phenolformaldehyde polymer.  The fibrous material that Ober saw after the fire is the glass fiber reinforcement.  

See:

http://www.polimer.belnet.ru/english/ag.htm

The Soviets made 7.62 AK mags from AG-4S but the ban restricting imports of military arms and accouterments from Russia has limited the availability of "orange" 7.62 mags.  You are more likely to find Chinese "Bakelite" 7.62s than the Soviet ones, but try WTB ads on the various trader boards, and watch the WTS boards like a hawk.  Chinese and Russian bakelite 7.62s(when seen) are not cheap and still go fast.

Noah
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, Noah! Those friggin magazines are like hen's teeth.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
cobra is that a leghorn or a Plymoth Rock for that hen. otherwise see ya Tuesday 07/01/03 to see if ya haven't done much. Gunshow at Wpb fairground exit 97 on turnpike after 3.60 in tolls from L.I. Tommie's.sat or sun
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top