Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/25/2017 3:58:21 AM EDT
Seems they got crazy expensive. Was hoping more would come in. Surely they have more????
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Serious question as I'm ignorant, are the newer American mags not reliable? If they're reliable, why are the Bulgarian mags desirable? Looks?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I just prefer surplus. I missed out on the $10 30 rd bakelites ten years ago.....am wondering if we got all of them or if there are enough in quantity to lower the price a bit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just prefer surplus. I missed out on the $10 30 rd bakelites ten years ago.....am wondering if we got all of them or if there are enough in quantity to lower the price a bit.
View Quote
I'm sitting on stacks of 99¢ Bulgarian mags from CDNN form the early 1990's.

Absolute tons if those were sold back then. Hell I have 5 or 6 40mm ammo cans full.

That ship sailed 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]
<removed> You need to brush up on the conduct code. dryflash3</removed>

SPECIFIC TO SALES<ol style="padding-left: 0px; font-size: 12.8px; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);">
  • Companies or individuals interested in selling or trading equipment should resort to the Equipment Exchange. At no time should an item be listed in any discussion forum. This includes links to auctions.
  • </ol>
    Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:44:45 AM EDT
    [#5]
    I seriously miss the days of Chief Thunder's $8 7.62 waffle mags and ORF's $4 Bulgy 5.45 mags.
    Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:29:00 PM EDT
    [#6]
    Quoted:
    I seriously miss the days of Chief Thunder's $8 7.62 waffle mags and ORF's $4 Bulgy 5.45 mags.
    View Quote
    Chief Thunder has spoken!

Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:22:13 PM EDT
    [#7]
    Those days are over and the AK-74 has fallen out of favor in most markets. The 47 has stayed strong. Look at most of the war footage you will see more 47's over 74's. I have a friend who purchases weapons outside of the US. He recently  toured most of the Eastern Europe AK factories. I asked about the 74 and that was his response. He stated most of the world was a 47 over a 74.
    Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:38:36 PM EDT
    [#8]
    While you could beat someone to death with a steel-tabbed Bakelite 74 mag, realistically a Magpul 5.45 will work indefinitely (or at least until all the 5.45 is gone)
    Link Posted: 11/25/2017 3:17:55 PM EDT
    [#9]
    Quoted:
    Those days are over and the AK-74 has fallen out of favor in most markets. The 47 has stayed strong. Look at most of the war footage you will see more 47's over 74's. I have a friend who purchases weapons outside of the US. He recently  toured most of the Eastern Europe AK factories. I asked about the 74 and that was his response. He stated most of the world was a 47 over a 74.
    View Quote
    Did he say why?
    Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:33:59 AM EDT
    [#10]
    Quoted:
    Did he say why?
    View Quote

The 30 years of support that the countries have in support of the AK-47 are the biggest driver. Countries have years of magazines , ammunition and repair parts. Many secondary markets never saw AK-74's in any quantity to make an impact. Remember guns last a long time. 30+ years is not an unreasonable life expectancy.
    Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:44:46 PM EDT
    [#11]
    I had heard the 74 ammo and mags were taken up by conflicts around the world involving Russia.

I got a bunch for like $8 from Aim Surplus in the early 2000s.  But even if I didn't, I would prefer them and pay more versus all-plastic mags.

Has Magpul made a metal-reinforced 74 mag for less than a Bulgarian or Russian surplus mag yet?   Until that happens, I don't see the Magpuls being desirable versus Bulgarian/Russian surplus.
    Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:24:06 PM EDT
    [#12]
    Quoted:
    I had heard the 74 ammo and mags were taken up by conflicts around the world involving Russia.

I got a bunch for like $8 from Aim Surplus in the early 2000s.  But even if I didn't, I would prefer them and pay more versus all-plastic mags.

Has Magpul made a metal-reinforced 74 mag for less than a Bulgarian or Russian surplus mag yet?   Until that happens, I don't see the Magpuls being desirable versus Bulgarian/Russian surplus.
    View Quote
    The Poles bailed on the 74 as did the Bulgarians. The East Germans became West the 74 was gone in 05. The Romanians still use them and manufacture them as do the Russians and North Koreans. The other users all bought them on the market. Where a lot of countries were and still are producing a version of the 47 the 74 has become a niche player at best
    Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:06:58 PM EDT
    [#13]
    The days of a dozen Bulgy 74 mags for $38 from Todd and the Ohio Rapid Fire Crew are long gone.

The sealed 4 packs of East German Bakelite's with a mag pouch from What a Country for $9.99!!!

Cheapest I remember was after the Ban sunset in 2005. I just returned from Iraq in March and everything was stupid cheap. That deployment stash of cash went a looooong way!

S/F

Al
    Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:15:43 AM EDT
    [#14]
    Quoted:

I'm sitting on stacks of 99¢ Bulgarian mags from CDNN form the early 1990's.

Absolute tons if those were sold back then. Hell I have 5 or 6 40mm ammo cans full.

That ship sailed 30 years ago.
    View Quote
    Indeed. I had them at my shop and the local gun show back then for $2.50 ea and sold maybe 10 over the course of a couple years. When the internet gun stores hit the scene and we closed our shop I had a few big wood crates full.
    Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:11:30 PM EDT
    [#15]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Yep. I also remember seeing ads in Shotgun News during the ban for $4 NIW EG Bakelite mags. The ORF dozens were awesome. Many good deals long gone.
    Page AK-47 » Magazines
    AK Sponsor: palmetto
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top