Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 7:22:01 PM EDT
My wife's grandfather pulled me aside the other day and handed me a rifle case. Inside was a Norinco 84s in very nice shape. He bought it quite some time ago and had never shot it. He told me to shoot it, clean it up and bring it back at my leisure. I've done everything but give it back to him. He only had 1 mag for it and that's almost sinful to me. Where can I get him another mag? I am not much of an AK guy and I think this may take a special magazine, correct?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the pro-mag 223ak mags work.

Have also heard of using 74 mags with 223 followers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Bulgarian waffle mags for the SLR106 will work in the Norinco 84S also.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The only mag that is a 100% sure thing to work in that rifle is a Norinco .223 mag.  30 rounders go for anywhere between $70.00 and $100.00.

While I have a .223 AK variant, I have never been a big fan because there really is no standard.  Every country that produced a variant makes them a little different and very little will interchange between models.  Even Norinco and Polytech, made in the same country, take different magazines.

From my experience with my BWK-92(Post Ban version of the 84S):

The Pro Mags may fit and function out of the package, but will likely need some file/sanding work to lock in and function correctly.

Bulgarian 5.56 mags may fit and function, but will likely need some file/sanding work to lock in and function correctly.

Another possible option is the Polish Beryl 5.56 mag.  I have heard that these will work(probably will need some fitting).  I have a few, but have not had a chance to test them out yet.

I think it is admirable that you want to get him another mag(s) for the rifle, but it isn't going to be an inexpensive proposition no matter what mag(with the exception of the Pro Mags) you decide to go with.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some Type 84 5.56 mags. 30 rounders. <removed> use the tacked value thread at the top of the page (in the AK Discussions forum) to ask. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three Norinco 223 rifles, 84S–1, BWK 92, and a NHM 90.  I also have gen 1&2 Circle-10 233 mags, Polish Beryl black & translucent green mags and factory Norinco mags.  Unfortunately my rifles are not consistent with Beryl or ((10)) magazines but rather they do run reliably with Norinco factory mags.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top