Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 6:00:02 PM EDT
I was just checking out cor-bon's website and I noticed that they offer blue tip glasers in 7.62x39mm. It's 130 grain, sold in 6 round packs and they claim 2300FPS/1527FTLBS out of an 18" barrel.

Anyone tried this stuff?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:20:19 PM EDT
I have done some impromteau testing with these rounds, in addition to pistol caliber offerings. Essentially, its a capsule filled with 12 shot*IIRC* and its patter roughly approximates the effect of a bullet but the small shot size and lack of density reduce penetration and risk of collateral damge. At longer distances, the patter quickly spreads out*especially out of a handgun* and the individual pellets lack the mass to penetrate deeply enough to incapacitate. The longer barrel of the AK helps keep the pattern in tact at longer distances, but penetration is going to be a problem at all but the closest range. For an "accross the room" shot, penetration should be adequate, especially with follow up shots but any farther or thick cloathing and you may have a serious problem. The 7.62x39 offerings were much more effective than the 9mm or .45 ACP versions as the increased barrel length had a positive effect. At 25 feet with my 9mm Beretta M9, these rounds werent capable of penetrating ply wood. I tested my 870 with 9 shot for comparision at the same distance and the pattern was much tighter and it completely decimated the target, pentrating it completely. Its commonly understood that birdshot is inadequate for defensive use out of a shotgun, let alone much smaller shot and much less of it out of a pistol. The 7.62x39 was the most effective version I tested, by a decent margin but I still woudn't use it for HD or any AK for that matter. If an AK is all you have for HD, then you really need to evaluate these rounds as they are much safer then other options. I use the 9mm versions for snakes/badgers when I am out hiking/hunting and such for which they are extremely effective and safe.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:15:07 PM EDT
Ryno, you are confusing CCI Snakeshot with Glaser Safety Slugs.

Glasers safety slugs arent worth the money for a defensive round. They'll create a decent sized surface wound, but thats it. The stuff I've fired has been horrendously inaccurate, even for an AK.

If you are looking for something for SD/HD, I would reccomend:

1. Lapuas 125gr Mega Spire Point(the chances of you finding this is very remote)
2. Winchesters 123gr JSP
3. Ulyanovsk 124gr JHP (easy to find, cheap, very good performance)
Top Top