Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:38:42 AM EDT
I wanted to know if I can get some input on it. I don't know enough about 7.62 ammo, so I was curious if this stuff is any good, or if there's something I should know about it. I know AK's shoot just about anything, but I just want to make sure I'm not gonna mess anything up. Any input would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 9:05:41 AM EDT by thedoctors308]
All the Norinco stuff is non-corrosive.
The yellow box has a steel core bullet, the rest has the normal lead makeup IIRC.
The Yugo stuff is probably corrosive.
All good ammo - shoot it up, except maybe the steel core.
Might want to save that for SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:24:02 AM EDT
What's funny is that he gave me 6 boxes of the steel core 1 each of the green and silver box, and then 3 boxes of the yugo. So I guess I should still go buy some Wolf ammo.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:37:33 AM EDT
I'd hang on to that steel core, as someone earlier said. As I understand it, it can no longer be made, imported or even privately sold in the US. Can someone confirm that for me??
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:41:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:49:07 AM EDT
i wish i got some of those chinese ammo that you have.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:24:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By plinkereye:
i wish i got some of those chinese ammo that you have.

Seriously? I didn't know this stuff was that sought after. Good to know.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:06:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
The yellow box has a steel core bullet, the rest has the normal lead makeup IIRC.

The Yugo box says NON-CORROSIVE on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:21:16 PM EDT
That steel core stuff will....uh.....screw up your barrel ...or something. Better send it to me for proper disposal.

Seriously, hang on to the steel core stuff - it is good ammo. I wish I still had some.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:55:36 AM EDT
What does the old steel core stuff cost (if you can find it for sale)?

I understand people believe it is AP but is that really so? Didn't Clinton ban it's importation by claiming as steel core, it was AP but really wasn't?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:30:04 AM EDT
Chinese Steel Core ammo is still around, an FFL dealer is not allowed to sell any, a private citizen may, it was banned aftera pistol in 7.62x39 cal was made. It penetrates about 15-25% better than normal 7.62x39 rds do. "IF" penetration and good accuracy is what you need, you lucked out. I am sitting on 10,000 rds cause I had an FFL in 92-95 and got stuck with it. I am not selling any, just keeping it around for whatever and future generations. So I see it go for about 35 cents a round. Keep it or shoot it, unless your targets are mild steel protected, you would not see that much of a difference on your target between S/C and L/C. Keep it for emergencies.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:53:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-TUNA:

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

The Yugo box says NON-CORROSIVE on it.

You can't rely on the box. I bought a buttload of the old S&B in the green boxes. Boxes said non-corrosive, so I let it sit, and didn't diligently clean the gun for a few days. BIG mistake...massive rust in the gas-tube.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:53:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CsabaH:
What's funny is that he gave me 6 boxes of the steel core 1 each of the green and silver box, and then 3 boxes of the yugo. So I guess I should still go buy some Wolf ammo.

Better buy something quick, CsabaH!!!

You practically OUT!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:25:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By billclo:

You can't rely on the box. I bought a buttload of the old S&B in the green boxes. Boxes said non-corrosive, so I let it sit, and didn't diligently clean the gun for a few days. BIG mistake...massive rust in the gas-tube.

Are you talking about the S&B ammo in the light green boxes with black lettering? If so, I have some (2K+) from about 1997 that I have confirmed as being non-corrosive. I wonder if they used both N/C & Corr. primers in different lots?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:44:08 AM EDT
Are the rounds lying on top of the individual boxes from the box they are on? If so i've never seen brass cased Norinco.
Top Top