Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2006 2:18:47 PM EDT
I've been considering the purchase of an AK for some time now, primarily as a recreational piece but self defense functionality is always a great thing to have. I've heard a lot of negatives about Russian ammo and the 7.62x39mm cartridge in general, i.e. it doesn't fragment/expand.  This hasn't disuaded me from a 7.62 AK as I've heard is that the more expensive American made ammo is superior, soft points especially.  Any cartridge can be poorly manufactured, and I think 7.62x39mm has a lot of potential.

In my research I noticed that COR-BON produces two different kinds of ammo in 7.62x39mm, a conventional JHP(125 GR. JHP 2400FPS/1600FTLBS) and a Glaser "safety slug" (130 GR. 2300 FPS/ 1527 FTLBS). The stuff ain't cheap, but has anyone tried it?  I'm interested in hearing how well it performs.

If anyone out there has had good results with other 7.62x39mm designs I'd like to hear about it as well.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for good ammo for SD purposes I would look for some of the following ammo:

Sapsan/ULY HP ammo
Winchester Soft Points
Yugo FMJ (yaws quickly but is corrosive)
Lead Core FMJs

The cheap Russian HP and SP ammo has been known to be spotty in performance.  Some of the above ammo is hard to find, as is most 7.62x39 right now.  At this time I would buy Wolf FMJ to practice with and shoot at the range.  I would also get some Winchester Soft Points to keep for SD (of course make sure they work in your gun before getting too much of it).   HTH

Ron
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
No need for the bullet to expand.  Why do you think the AK comes standard with a 30 round clip?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No need for the bullet to expand.  Why do you think the AK comes standard with a 30 round clip?

Well, when you put it that way...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been researching/developing Defensive 7.62x39 ammo since returing to AK's in this caliber after a several year abscence. An associate of mine is manufacturing 7.62x39 ammo with brass cases loaded with Sierra Gamekings, Nosler Ballistic tips and Barnes copper bullets. I have yet to obtain samples for testing, but since these are proven designs, performance should be predictible, IE excellent. I have no use for SP ammo as I feel its over penetration negates any defensive value it may have. I also fear the rough action of the AK will most certainly damage or infringe the exposed lead tip. I have obtained both CorBon 123grn HP's and Maine Cartridge Amax loadings which I tested using some spare ballistic blocks. IMO, the CorBon example is the most effective defensive loading in this caliber. Its a very fast bullet which penetrates well and

has excellent expansion/fragmentation properites. This round was also exceedingly accurate out of my test weapons. It shrunk groups by at least three quarters of an inch in some instances.This would be an excellent choice for a defensive loading. The Maine Cartridge Amax bullets were also very effective, though less than the CorBons. Expansion/velocity wasn't as consistant as the CorBon loading, though when it worked, it was very impressive. Accuracy/quality was inferior by comparison, but nonetheless, a very effective defensive loading.....though I strongly reccomend the CorBon offering. The main drawback to the CorBon is price, even at a reduced cost, test

examples were still very costly. 60 rounds would be the maximum one would need IMO for this application. The best solution would seem to be load your own with your choice of .30 caliber HP ammunition. This would be a cheap/easy way to obtain a decent quantity of highly effective defensive ammo for your AK. Effective HP ammo for the 7.62x39, mainly the CorBon loading, turns the AK47 into a viable option for a HD weapon, maximizing effectivenss while reducing risks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had good luck with Corbon.  I like the performance of the 308 round on 4 legged critters.  I haven't shot any of the 7.62X39, but that would be my pick also.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the Corbon 125gr JHP and 150gr JSP.  Neither load group any better that 7 inches out at 100 meters.  The velocity difference wes huge.

The top 3 loads, in no order are Uly/Sapsan 124gr JHP, Winchester 123gr JSP, and Lapua 123gr Mega Spire Point.  These loads were also tested by Dr. Roberts, who is a leader, if not the leader in his field of terminal ballistics.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top