Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/10/2003 7:11:59 AM EDT
Though I am firing from an AR-15 with a 7.62x39 upper, I figured you AK guys would know best since my question is with the ammo. With Wolf ammo, about 1 out of every 2 rounds fails to fire. When I eject the unfired bullet, I can see the indentation (perfectly centered) where the firing pin struck the primer, but nothing fired. 1 out of 2 wolf rounds fires fine. Thinking it was the ammo, I spent $7 on a 20rd box of American Eagle 7.62x39 and tried them. Each one fired flawlessly. Now the allure of the 7.62 round is the price of Wolf ammo, so I'd like to either find some ammo in 7.62x39 that's almost as inexpensive. Any suggestions? Do you think it could be the particular "batch" of Wolf ammo that I got? Should I buy a couple boxes from a different retailer and try that, or is it all the same? Any other CHEAP 7.62x39 ammo that anyone recommends for blasting at the range?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:08:19 AM EDT
well we must have the same batch then, i went yesterday to the range to sight in my chicom sks that i bought new about 10 plus years ago (first time rifle has been fired) but any way 4 rounds of 120 would not go off, same thing as you stated primer hit was dead center very well indented, but no BANG. Placed all 4 rounds back in rifle and the 2nd time all 4 went off, go figure....(3 were hp 1 was fmj) this is the first time i have ever had wolf not go BANG when i pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:10:23 PM EDT
Sounds like one of things to me.

1) You might have some bad ammo. This would be only the second time I have hreard of any though.

2) Your bolt could be dirty and not letting the pin hit hard enough.

3) The primers that Wolf is using are harder than the AE primers. (and they really are too)

Try some ULY (comes in cans marked Mil-Spec), or Barnaul. they are better than Wolf anyway. Wolf is the cheapest, but the others are only about 5% more $ at worst.

If it is a problem with Commie ammo only in your rifle I am sure you wouldn't be the first to have the problem and someone can tell you how to fix it.
Top Top