User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/6/2003 11:09:24 AM EDT
On the left is a .223 77grain Nosler BTHP

On the right is a Russian 5.45mm

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Judging by the White box in the background, I would say that is the Uly. 70gr FMJ 5.45 round.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
First let me say that I have a 5.45 rifle and like it a lot, neat AK, even neater round!

But jeez her in the USA it is all but unknown, ammo is a gun show or internet order proposition and this is, as far as I can tell, the only caliber that cannot be handloaded.

I am an avid handloader and do load precision 5.56 (223 Rem) and 7.62 NATO (308 Win) ammo for target shooting.  This ammo is available at every sporting good store in the country, even 7.62x39 is available at WalMart, etc.  But 5.45x39 is almost errie in the fact that although it has been around almost 30 years, chambered for what has to be millions of AK-74 rifles (and variants), yet most shooters know little or nothing about it!  Ammo is not available locally in most cases and reloading components do not exist in my experience!

Why is this?

Of all the old time cartriges that one can still buy (even European calibers like 6.5x55 and such) I would think 5.45x39, being a MAJOR com block caliber, would be made by someone in the USA.

Why is this?

I feel like perhaps I should lay in a lifetime supply of 5.45 ammo just in case the supply dries up all together.  But all I can find is Wolf or Bernaul at the www.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The 5.45 round has been around in Soviet service starting in 1974.
there was not a single round of the ammo in the west until about 1985 when SOF magazine was able to get a case from Afghanistan.

Even then it was not widely known in the west to civilian shooters.  I remember seeing the ammo at Knob Creek about 8 years ago for $5 a round.

At first the East german sniper rifles came in, but they were not popular, then the Ronanian SAR,CUR, etc series started to come in.  Once shooters started to take notice the round really had cought on, but it is still not as popular because it is so new.

Supply has always been somewhat of a minor problem.  With Romania being the majot supplier of rifles, there are only so many out there. Also many just see no need for another AK in other round when their 7.62 X 39 does them just fine.

The round will never really catch on until a domestic rifle manufacturer producs a rifle in the caliber.  Ammo will follow, and other companies will jump on board.

The other problems are that the commie ammo is so cheap the American companies just can not produce it for a price that can compete. Given time they might start producing the caliber, but remember Winchester has only just re-introduced 7.62 X 54R, and has started 9 X 18, and 7.62 X 25 in a weak loading.
The tried and true .223 is well established, and the round will have to show some competition to this round in a varmit rig before I think it will catch on. Would I buy a Remington 700BDL heavy barrel varmet rifle in this caliber if it were loaded with Match Kings or the like... hell yes. Until enough others people would buy this too, we must use our AKs.
just my two cents.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Very good reply Ober916.  Much appreciated!  I think I will buy one of those "3/4 case" cases of Barnaul ammo (750 rounds) while we wait for Remington to come out with the 2004 Model 700 Classic in 5.45x39 caliber.  Now that would be a ballsy move for Remington!  Imagine the turn-around if they made the rifle and factory loaded ammo in 5.45x39!  

Alexander Arms does make an AR15 upper half in 5.45x39, they call it Genghis or some such nickname.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top