Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/28/2016 10:12:09 PM EDT
I just viewed this video of Golden Bear SP.  It wasn't impressive.

Which SP Russian ammo brands have a good reputation for the SP flattening out and/or breaking up?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just viewed this video of Golden Bear SP.  It wasn't impressive.

Which SP Russian ammo brands have a good reputation for the SP flattening out and/or breaking up?
View Quote

None? A steel jacket isn't ideal for fragmentation or expansion. You can find exceptions showing that one bullet expanding beautifully under perfect conditions, but getting consistent results is probably another matter. Either way, you're making .3" holes so wounding ballistics are already going to be pretty good.

If you want a good SP then look at Fusion. Also, Hornady's SST is excellent.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
About American rounds, I'd like to, but the cost.  Plus I saw, of all things, Tula 154 grain bullets were really flattening out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Tula 154 SP does a decent job. Make sure your rifle likes it, it seems to feed poorly in mine. Still trying mags, but the stuff shoots well when you get it chambered. Go figure.
Hornady makes a good budget round. Fusion and Winchester PDX are great, although expensive.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Joe covered it . The Hornady SST is a solid performer ,
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tula 154 SP does a decent job. Make sure your rifle likes it, it seems to feed poorly in mine. Still trying mags, but the stuff shoots well when you get it chambered. Go figure.
Hornady makes a good budget round. Fusion and Winchester PDX are great, although expensive.
View Quote

prvi makes a soft point brass cased round for the x39.  Its pretty accurate and its a good bullet, also doesn't hurt that its faster than the american ammo and cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I reload 7.62x39mm using IMI and PMC brass.

24.5 grains of H4198 or 28.0 grains of H322 and Remington 9.5 primers.

You can use these powder charges with Hornady 123 grain .310" diameter Soft Points or Sierra's 125 grain .311" Pro-Hunter Soft Points. Both bullets are accurate, feed and function reliably. Overall length is 2.190".

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a few hundred rounds of different soft point stuff a few years ago.  Only tried it out of my SKS but they all functioned fine, though Ill admit that test group was just like 10 rounds of each.  Not exactly a thorough test.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

prvi makes a soft point brass cased round for the x39.  Its pretty accurate and its a good bullet, also doesn't hurt that its faster than the american ammo and cheaper.
View Quote

That's a round nose too and is what I currently have loaded in case I need an AK for anything. I also like the Tula 154 gr SP as a home defense round or hunting. In my AMD65 with 11.5" bore, velocity is even lower on this round than the 16" barrel which is good for over-penetration concerns. Both of these interesting rounds work fine in my AK and basically shoot to the same point at 50 yds as my regular 124 gr FMJ.

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Plus one for the Tulammo 154 GR soft point for hunting. It's hard enough to find anything above 125 gr to begin with but the Tulammo expands really well. Great for deer and hogs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's a round nose too and is what I currently have loaded in case I need an AK for anything. I also like the Tula 154 gr SP as a home defense round or hunting. In my AMD65 with 11.5" bore, velocity is even lower on this round than the 16" barrel which is good for over-penetration concerns. Both of these interesting rounds work fine in my AK and basically shoot to the same point at 50 yds as my regular 124 gr FMJ.
View Quote

They also load a pointed soft point.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/921973/prvi-partizan-ammunition-762x39mm-123-grain-pointed-soft-point-boat-tail-box-of-20

It can be found a good bit cheaper than that price on midway.  I picked a bunch up from PSA about a year ago for 8 bucks a box.  brass doesn't seem the best for reloading though.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top