Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/5/2012 6:17:53 PM EDT
I was talking with a buddy the other day about what he has for self-defense ammo in his 47 and he told me something about these hollow points (made by Tulammo?) called 8M3. Does anyone have some information on these rounds and if there is anyone who currently has them for sale?
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the old Wolf Military Classic H/P ammo was loaded with 8M3 "SAPSAM" bullets.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I believe the old Wolf Military Classic H/P ammo was loaded with 8M3 "SAPSAM" bullets.

I thought it was Tulammo? And any chance this stuff can still be purchased?
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
"Sapsan" was a brand name, not the name of a bullet,  and was made by Ulyanovsk. It was only around for a short while, 4-5 years ago maybe. Can't comment on the bullet, but it was likely the 8M3 style. Never got into which bullet the x39 is loaded with to be honest with you... They will all do the job.

1DD
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the 124gr HP from Tulammo is what you're looking for.  It's made at the Uly factory and seems to be the 8M3 bullet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly, the 8M3 bullet was the only russian hollow point that actually functioned as it was susposed to...all other Russian hollow points were basically just a FMJ with a hole.

The 8M3 was found in the Wolf Military Classic made by Ulyanovsk.   Tula made the standard Wolf black box and did not have the 8M3.

Wolf no longer uses Tula as a supplier and Tula now has their own ammo on the market, so since Tula never had the 8M3..there is no reason to believe they would have it now.

Your best bet to find the 8M3 round now is to find ammo made by Ulyanovsk...which can be confusing as brand names are often produced by several factories.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=268

I don't use hollow points in my AK, so I really don't know if any of the curent ammo has it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#6]
also......although it is expensive...I consider the Hornady SST round to be the best self defense ammo in 7.62 x 39.

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, the 8M3 bullet was the only russian hollow point that actually functioned as it was susposed to...all other Russian hollow points were basically just a FMJ with a hole.

The 8M3 was found in the Wolf Military Classic made by Ulyanovsk.   Tula made the standard Wolf black box and did not have the 8M3.

Wolf no longer uses Tula as a supplier and Tula now has their own ammo on the market, so since Tula never had the 8M3..there is no reason to believe they would have it now.

Your best bet to find the 8M3 round now is to find ammo made by Ulyanovsk...which can be confusing as brand names are often produced by several factories.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=268

I don't use hollow points in my AK, so I really don't know if any of the curent ammo has it.

That ComBloc Ammo FAQ has some errors / needs updating.

Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works is a factory in Ulyanovsk, Russia that produces ammo.  Some Tulammo is made at that factory, it says so right on the box.  In the past, some Wolf ammo came from Uly but not anymore.  The Ulyanovsk factory is the only one that produces the 124gr 8M3 bullet.  The 124gr HP Tulammo is the 8M3 round.  I bought a case of it several months ago and I could feel the pre-fail cuts inside the hollow point.  I've shot some but I did not disassemble a round to compare it to the cross sectional pictures online.

This is taken from http://tulammousa.com/media/:

Dear Great TULAMMO USA Customer,

In connection with our ongoing promotion and support of TULAMMO products, we want to be sure that all of our customers are aware of the types of ammunition being supplied in the U.S. from the Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works in Russia. TULAMMO USA was formed for the sole purpose of distributing the TULAMMO brand of ammunition from these two factories. The Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works no longer support or produce any of the “Wolf” brands of ammunition. Please note that:

TULAMMO is not WOLF Performance Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WOLF Military Classic Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WOLF GOLD Ammunition
TULAMMO is not WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition)
TULAMMO is not WPA (WOLF Performance Ammunition) Military Classic
TULAMMO is not Wolf Performance Primers
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
also......although it is expensive...I consider the Hornady SST round to be the best self defense ammo in 7.62 x 39.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll79/apocalypto10/russian%20women/untitled-1-1.jpg

Yes!  I like the Hornady SST too.  It's really hard to find now and I wish I had bought more of it and shot less of it when it was in stock.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll79/apocalypto10/russian%20women/untitled-1-1.jpg

Yes!  I like the Hornady SST too.  It's really hard to find now and I wish I had bought more of it and shot less of it when it was in stock.

Hornady Zombie Max is basically the same stuff, except with a green tip instead of red.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top