Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:34 AM EDT
I have some used AK mags the have grease on them and I want to remove it so I can clean up the rust and repaint them.  I also have an SKS that has some grease on it.  What is the best thing to use for this that you have used?  I did a search, but most of it about aluminum parts.  This is steel.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Any help out  there getting cosmoline (I think that's what it is) off of parts?  Best Degreaser? Help anyone!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I ve used very hot or boiling water on my really greased/cosmiline mags. I did it in the bathroom sink. You just have to make sure you really dry them and oil them afterwards as you sure dont want any rust forming.
I never had a problem doing this method.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Cosmo is a time consuming but its part of the dun. When you think its all out, more will melt out just to piss you off.

Of course, disassemble the whole gun and mags. Mineral spirits work great at cleaning the little parts and mags.
Get yourself a big coffee can or something close and fill it with mineral spirits, very cheap at home depot.  

For wood, the best way is to melt it out. If you're in the south or a hot place, place it in a black garbage bad and set it in the sun. If youve got a big enough oven and dont mind your food tastine cosmoey, put it in there at low heat(140-150.)  Every hour or so, wipe it down with a mineral spirit soaked rag.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  I'll try the mineral spirits
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Pressurised steam cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Mineral Spirits and perhaps the dishwasher method if it real bad.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#8]

I agree that mineral spirits is cheap and extremely effective for removing thick grease.

Get yourself a thick plastic window planter tray at the Home Dept and lay your barrels and stocks in it. Pour the minerals spirits over and over the parts.  Use some nitrile gloves because it's tough on your skin.  Light coat of oil on everything metal well after degreasing or else you'll get rust.

Boiling hot water also works well, but be advised that the Cosmoline you melt off your parts will build up in your pipes and clog them.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I use brake cleaner.  It just melts cosmo off.  For the wood, I use the oven method.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#10]
(oops...I meant to Reply to Wolffox's ?)
Blast Poweder is a common high-tech degreaser. Have you talked to your local FFL
store if this is the best chemical degreaser?

ALSO...

1) When I prepare my AK mags for long-term storage cleaning process, I first....
-Use cleaner-degreaser like BLAST POWDER
-Silicon cloth wipe down
-Apply Rust Guardit
-Put in Kleen Bore storage bag. Or for short-term put in stretchable Gunny sack.
THEN...
2) when go to use them (after storage), I use No. 10 Solvent or even copper cutter to get all of the
rust prevention and chemicals off of the magazines. (I believe the back of rust Guardit bottle
tells exactly how to remove the Rust Guardit, but I am 99% sure No. 10 Solvent works here).

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Dishwasher method for the stock -- link here.

Not suggested for collectables; great for SKSs and such!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually found that the best way, was to heat the part slightly.  Does not matter how.  Open flame works fast (just dont get close to the mineral sprits with it), otherwise a heatgun will work too.  Don't get it to hot, you don't want to ignite the cosmoline, burn wood or melt plastic.  Just warm it enough right until the cosomline gets runny.  If it starts smoking, you probably got it a little to hot so let it cool a bit before you move on.  

Then just use mineral sprits and a toothbrush.  The mineral spirits will smoke slightly when first applied, to prevent this, I just dunk the whole part under the surface of the mineral spirits for a few seconds and shwish it around to remove most of the cosmo and let the part cool just a little, then just scrub the remaining cosmo with your toothbrush.  Very little effort for scrubbing and the cosmo just comes right off.  It helps to have a large shallow pan for longer parts like barrels and such.  Otherwise, a 5 gallon bucket works for everything else.  

I have tried hot boiling water before.  Did not work near as well.  Especially where the cosmo is packed into small places, such as firing pin holes, or gas ports.  Thats when you need to just heat it up so the cosmo can just run out.  

Make sure you re grease your parts with your favorite rust protectant after, otherwise you might get some rust.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
some say dishwasher, stove, ect but not all parts can fit into some of these things. The best is a black bag set out on a hot day, or if you are in a hurry use boiling water and finish with brake cleaner. Don't forget to oil all parts when you are thru.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I cleaned an SKS with laquer thinner. Worked great and its cheap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Heat is key to whatever you use.. Get cosmo down real low and it about needs to be chiseled off.

Never, ever, eeeeeeever try to degrease a new gun outside in the winter.  You'll end up mad as a hatter and covered in shit to boot.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top