Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/3/2003 3:21:23 PM EDT
Hello everyone.  I just wanted to ask everyone if they really think this is a good lube for an AK.  I know its a good motor oil and does lubricate critical parts in engines very well, but is it (excuse possibly incorrect terminology here) the correct "weight or thickness or slipperyness or whatever" to protect the rails, bolt, carrier, etc moving parts on an AK and reduce friction and wear?  If it is, the stuff is way cheaper than say breakfree, tetra, and all those "specialty lubes".  Thanks for replies, just wanted to hear other opinions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You could use used motor oil for a AK without worry. I have used all the expensive "snake oils" - I use mobil one on all my guns thse days. Browning Superpose's , Winchester 101's , revolvers, etc etc. I works as good as any of the snake oils, and better than some.
I also use a little daub of grease on the bolt lugs and rails of an AK. A daub about the size of the head of a paper match evenly distributed on the rails and the rear of the bolt lug should do the trick, and put just a very thin coating on the area where the hammer contacts the bolt lug.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, it is part of my collection

and campy really does use straight 30 weight non-detergent tractor oil, and the spray on his right shoulder is proof
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I will have to give it a try then.  Is Mobil 1 synthetic also a non-detergent oil?  I have been using Tetra grease on the rail and bolt and bolt carrier, with no oil at all.  I guess that hasnt done it any harm cause the action is pretty much "slicker than snot" and all high wear surfaces have seemed well protected, but if mobil 1 synthetic works thats a lot of lube for a good price, compared to gun specific lubes.  Will the mobil 1 dry and leave the surface unprotected if the rifle sits for a while without being used?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
ANy motor oil seems to really stick to the metal and resists evaporation. Thats one thing I really like about using Mobil 1 on weapons.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Detergents simply suspend dirt until the next oil change, so the only big issue with this for AK lube is non-det being cheaper. Grease is great where there are big gaps between surfaces, but any lube which maintains a film for shear is good. Synthetic oils are a bit tougher than conventional oils with their ability to withstand heat and shear without breaking down. Where stuff like Mobil 1 really shines is it's ability to wick into any space and flow at lower temps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
i want to see some sae test results and some tv and magazine ads dammit.  think about the untapped market
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#7]
hmmmm, sell BFest video as an infomercial...
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Well, it sounds pretty good, I guess I will give it a try.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#9]
A buddy who is a a mechanic told me he uses Shell Rotella oil in all trucks, cars and guns.

I've been planning to try it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The oil doesn't 'catch' at all?  That's one thing I thought would be a problem (even in cars whynot).  No chance of starting a fire of some sort, or minor boom?  Interested in trying Synthetic now too.  =)
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#11]
i use mobil oil for lub for all time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:15:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The oil doesn't 'catch' at all?  That's one thing I thought would be a problem (even in cars whynot).  No chance of starting a fire of some sort, or minor boom?  Interested in trying Synthetic now too.  =)

The base petro stocks do not start to break down till 525deg+, plenty for a hand held object.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#14]
That advantage to synthetic based products like TW-25B and Break-Free are they do not get gummy in sub-zero temps as petrol based stuff.

No parrifin for starters.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top