Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2014 7:57:24 PM EDT
Anybody use it on their AK's,if so how do you like it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:25:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ej6fade] [#1]
Originally Posted By Ej6fade:
I use froglube on all my guns. I like it. People either love it or hate it, and in Southern komiefornia, we don't have issues with really cold weather. I have about 1,700 rounds through my WASR 10/63 with absolutely 0 issues using froglube. I use it in my Mosin as well and only shoot corrosive surplus ammo, I have left it for 5 days before cleaning it after shooting and no rust issues. Same goes for my AK, I shot corrosive ammo and left it a few days, still no rust, although everyones' individual experience will vary. I apply it liberally, using a $10 heat gun from harbor freight and a small painters brush & Q-tips
View Quote

To summarize, use froglue on my AK and I have 0 issues with using it at the range and running/gunning/getting dirty in the desert.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually just give each side of the bolt a nice dab of the paste, rack it a few times and its good to go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Froglube on everything.  I've just started with AK's but have been using Froglube for a while on my sidearms and AR's.  I've had zero issues with Froglube on my four AK's.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Used it on my G21, XDs and BG.....haven't used it on my AK though but will do so at next teardown.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Nasty gummy crap, traded for an AK that had that stuff all over it, took forever to clean it off, wouldn't use it on anything, much less an AK that only needs some light lubrication.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Love froglube so far. I have used it on several pistols and rifles over the last few years with great results. That being said the stuff I got was free. Not sure if I'll buy more when this is gone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ej6fade] [#7]
Since April, I have put 3,000 rounds through my WASR 10/63 without cleaning it or relubing. Function 100%, no rust, etc. Cleaning it finally over this past weekend, carbon just wiped off, I was actually annoyed I started cleaning it because the carbon literally wiped away when I thought for sure it would have hardened or would require effort to remove, so once I started I had to clean it lol. To each his own, I love the stuff.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Frog Lube on all my weapons, Rifles and Handguns,  It doesn't take much to apply it sparingly by toothbrush and Q-tip.  Keeps the weapons lubricated.  I clean all my guns after firing them.  I know AK's can be left dirty for an extended time, but I learned a long time ago, cleaning it after each use, I don't have to worry about any mishaps when needed.  But to each his own.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine failed on my AR in Winter here in Alaska , so I stopped using it .
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Had it do some strange things to my AR when it got below about 15 degrees outside--I use auto grease (with lithium, I think) on my AK's- they ran like champs at same temps...
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer FIREClean.  It does everything that Frog Lube is supposed to do... plus, it does not have the cold temperature issues that Frog Lube has AND you don't have to heat the parts for proper application like you do with Frog Lube.  You only need a few drops per firearm.  After treatment, parts wipe clean with a paper towel.  After wiping the parts off, apply a couple of drops of FIREClean to 'refresh' the lubrication and you are DONE!  The carbon on the piston literally just wipes off with a paper towel. The lubrication properties are amazing.  The bolt carrier feels like you are sliding wet ice on a sheet of glass.  The only downside that I have with the product is that I cannot find it locally.  I add a bottle to my shopping cart when I place an order at Midway or Brownells.  Some people have complained about the seemingly high cost for such a small bottle.  What they don't understand is how little of the product is used for each cleaning.  I usually use about 8 to 10 drops each time I clean one of my AKs.

https://youtu.be/aU3GGgFMoso

https://youtu.be/Ar0UOJbMfDU
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Ex frog lube user. Leave weapons sit for a month or so and they feel tacky/sticky like they've had candy on them.

Took about 2 hrs on each gun to clean them all up. My home is now a FrogFree Zone
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LonePatriot:
Anybody use it on their AK's,if so how do you like it?
View Quote

Not this again....
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Nasty gummy crap, traded for an AK that had that stuff all over it, took forever to clean it off, wouldn't use it on anything, much less an AK that only needs some light lubrication.
View Quote

Pretty much this. I found in cold weather it really slowed down the action on my AK. It worried me what it would do in below-freezing temps so I removed all the FrogLube and I haven't used it on anything since.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#15]
If you goop it on its one thing but if you use it like intended it's pretty good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
If you goop it on its one thing but if you use it like intended it's pretty good stuff.
View Quote

Yup, liquid for cleaning, and finish with the paste. I live on the western end of lake Ontario so it gets cold, and I've had zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:43:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#17]

years ago, I got tired of buying tiny bottles of expensive "gun oil"

I started using MOBIL-1 synthetic

It work's great, and a quart lasts a lot longer than those tiny "gun oil" bottles"

1911's, glocks M&P's AK's AR's it's all happy

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive seen it jam most every common firearm around.

Avoid
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been using Froglube for many years and have never had an issue. Granted I'm new to the AK field, I've used it on everything from pistols to rifles and shotguns. The key that I have found in successfully using Froglube is to first completely stripped the weapon of all of its previous lubrication. Then you do the heat treat method, which allows the frog lube to get into the pores of the metal.  Then subsequent cleanings will be that much easier if you go with the heat treatment in the beginning.

I am new to the AK platform, so I am still doing some research and asking lots of questions. But I am not new to piston driven weapons, and the key thing that most people make a mistake on is to NEVER lube the piston. You can use CLP or Frog Lube to clean the piston, but you have to make sure it is bone dry when you put it back together. When I asked about maintenance on the AK platform when I ordered my rifle,  the gentlemen's response was priceless. He asked if I had a river or a lake nearby. I asked him what that matters.  He then told me to just take the AK down there, dunk it in the water, rinse it off, put some lube on it, maybe run a bore snake down the barrel if I feel like it, and then take it out and shoot it some more. That is the beautiful thing about piston driven rifles.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyghost01] [#20]
I use it but you have to follow directions, HEAT metal parts use very little wait 1hr and wipe it off no problems, I still use a small amount of grease on moving parts I clean all parts with simple green to de-grease first
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I have gallon bucket of it free for pick up.  Stuff is crap.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

It work's great, and a quart lasts a lot longer than those tiny "gun oil" bottles"

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-3503/k2-_30cab447-fcd6-4468-bdbd-f088350a1a16.v1.jpg
View Quote

Yup, it just works.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 0612Devil:

Yup, it just works.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 0612Devil:
Originally Posted By Derek45:

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-3503/k2-_30cab447-fcd6-4468-bdbd-f088350a1a16.v1.jpg

Yup, it just works.

Agreed.  Froglube is just one more person's way of separating fools from their money.  Proof that if you use big words and market the ever-loving FUCK out of something, eventually people will buy it thinking you're telling the truth.  Fact is, the stuff is just silly to buy and use.  Regular old synthetic oil and red wheel bearing grease works juuuuuust fine on AKs and ARs alike.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#24]
It works for me. I'm not using my firearms in colder weather though, I've seen the reports of it gunking up when it gets cold. Nor am I letting my firearms sit around long enough to see it get sticky.

A little bit goes a long way with Froglube. I apply it and buff/wipe it until I can't even tell it's there unless I leave a fingerprint.

That said, I'm switching to Slip oil and grease one I'm out of Froglube. Application is easier.

On the plus side, my SO likes the minty smell and doesn't mind if I clean my shit inside on the kitchen table
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It smells nasty and it can get gummy. I use royal purple on my aks and ars.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Regular old synthetic oil and red wheel bearing grease works juuuuuust fine on AKs and ARs alike.
View Quote

+1
Mobil1 grease does just fine for me, and a pound will last a lifetime at this rate!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
My guns can turn into a disgusting mess. I use whatever I find first. I'm sure they have a mixture of frog lube, hoppes, break free clp, motor oil in all of their moving parts by now. It smells good by itself. I'll give it that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I've seen Frog Lube shut down a Noveske AR15 in cold weather at one of my courses.

It literally felt like someone poured fine sand in the action, and the ground was completely covered in snow, so there was no way that could have happened.

If you need some type of special process to apply lubricant to a firearm, that isn't Joe-friendly in the field or on the range, that's a design problem.

If it drastically changes coefficient of friction across thermal gradients, that's another design problem.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been using Froglube CLP paste, extreme and solvent for a while now and IMHO it is excellent kit.  Follow the directions and you should be good to go.  I will add that the extreme in my experience doesn't get gummy like the liquid CLP can when applied in excess and not removed.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Never really understood why people feel the need to seek this do all god lube for guns. Frog Lube does require minor prep to apply and for it to work correctly. Yet you also hear people talking about how it gunk's up in cold weather and other issues. Why choose a lube thats really not 100% effective in all environments? There are a million inexpensive oils and lubes on the market and have been for years that work perfectly fine and require zero prep work to apply. A simple lube and good grease is really all you need in your cleaning kit. Ten years I've been using CLP and TW-25 weapons grease and it does its job very well. I've had suppressed AR's with 2-3 rounds in between cleanings. All moving parts hit with a dab of either CLP or TW-25. Guns wipe clean with minor carbon removal from those troublesome areas like firing pin.

You really dont need anything special to keep your guns lubed and running. Hell someone previously mentioned synthetic motor oil and even that works pretty damn well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:57:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#32]
Many years, many thousands of rounds through AK's and I never used frog lube. I have used white lithium grease and it works fine in the summer, but not so well in cold weather.

I use Mobile 1 now and have never had an AK jam due to lubrication. Mobile 1 works great for me summer or winter.

I have not used Mobile 1 at temperatures below zero so not sure if it works well at those temperatures. If I needed to shoot an AK at below zero, I would likely just wipe all lubricants off my AK and give that a try.

One of the great things about AK's is they seem to run, once broken it, with or without lubricants. I think they do run better with some lubrication and likely last longer, but mine don't seem to require lubrication.

Added: Ar's are a whole different thing on lubrication. Mine run much better and longer if well lubricated. I use CLP and sometime Extreme Weapons Lube for my AR's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Frog Lube is trash. It makes a gummy mess. You might as well use cosmoline.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By zackmars:
Ive seen it jam most every common firearm around.

Avoid
View Quote

It jammed my AR during a class.  I won't use it again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Froglube made 3 ARs and a Glock completely inoperable. That stuff turns into adhesive with time and moisture.

I threw it out and spend hours getting that crap off those guns. Thank God I never put it on a carry gun or a duty weapon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I use it, but I live in Florida.  I've heard complaints about it getting gummy in cold weather.

Also, most people don't apply it properly.  It needs to be applied fairly thick, then heated (heat gun) and mostly wiped off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#37]
And I'm over here still using the same old Break Free CLP for cleaning and lubing all my guns.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top