Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/10/2006 9:29:43 PM EDT
Guys,
I have a great looking Romy RPK kit that I am about to build up on a NoDak NDS-7 receiver.  My kit is all matching to include the new receiver which is on its way.....except for the dust cover.  Is it possible to grind down the current numbers or possibly weld in and grind flat, and then restamp????

Or should I just look for an unmarked Romy dust cover and stamp that.

Any thoughts?????

Steve
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you find a unmarked Rommy dust cover?  If so, I think that's the way I'd go.  Otherwise, I'd try to weld in the old numbers and re stamp.  I wouldn't grind off the old numbers as you'd probably wear away too much metal.  Those dust covers aren't very thick.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Romanian AIM kit that's had a replacement dust cover put on it by the Romanians.

They merely overstamped the old serial with "x" 's (lowercase x), one over each numeral, and restamped it with the new number.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've got a Romanian AIM kit that's had a replacement dust cover put on it by the Romanians.

They merely overstamped the old serial with "x" 's (lowercase x), one over each numeral, and restamped it with the new number.

I had the same thing, but the re-stamp is not at the back of the top cover where the X'ed over number was.  It was re-stamped just over the front trunnion serial number.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're good with the welder and grinder I bet you could make it look good enough that no one will ever know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've got one of those too.  They "x"ed out the old number and restamped the new one on the dust cover on the left hand side near the front trunnion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Me three I got one with the numbers XXXXXed out and restamped over the front trunion number.  I would do that, rether than chance messing up one.  But heck it is not the original one anyway, Grind and weld away.  Let us see how it comes out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I should have been more specific.  Mine is restamped on the left side of the cover, so that it sits over the trunnion number when the cover is installed, just like the other guys' covers.

True "Romanian style": homely but functional.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top