Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 11:15:34 AM EDT
Now that I have the "bug", I am interested in building an AK.

I see all kinds of people selling kits with prices ranging from dirt cheap to real expensive....

I am not looking to build anything wild, just a plain AK.

I found a pair of non matching # kits on akparts.com for $159.90
and a matching part kit with US FCG at copesdist.com for $134.99

Obviously the non-matching # kits with a separately purchased FCG is cheaper per unit, but am concerned about the bore and non-matching #s (if it matters at all).

For my first build, which would you recommend? Or something completely different?

Thanks!
TC
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:40:15 AM EDT
Centerfire systems still has matching Romanian kits for $99.97 plus shipping (less than $10). The ones i got are perfect. With FCG Copes is comperable.
With matching you really dont need a headspace check, so I'd spring for the matching. If headspace is off the kit may not be useable.
100% NDS-3 receivers are available from Nodakspud for $55. They fit the Romanians perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:58:54 PM EDT
Quality of these is generally HIGH - do not confuse them with SARs. These are Military... less rough, make very good rifles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:40:11 PM EDT
I got the 135 kit from Copes with the G2 FCG. Best deal I could find. And it's fine. Plus Copes doesn't screw you on shipping like a lot of them do, I think I paid around eight bucks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:26:59 PM EDT
try TAPCO, theyve got romanian kits with the G2 fcg and a new retaining pin for $125 i believe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:01:50 PM EDT
the kits are good ........the rommy WASR's are the ones that suck
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:18:15 PM EDT
Last I checked Tapco was out of the $125 AK kits.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:08:04 PM EDT
So the Centerfire ones are that good?

I was thinking of getting one from Bocefus... I need one more kit so I can build a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 6:09:41 PM EDT by ozzy_the_nuke]
At the risk of telling everyone their babies are ugly, I'm going to differ a little bit here. IMO the condition of the Romanians is very good, but the quality is at the bottom of the heap. The sight assemblies/gas port block are commonly out of alignment, the barrel steel is soft, accuracy is not as good as the others and the front handgrip looks like a high school wood shop project. I use them for cheap builds and experiments. Dont get me wrong. They are definitely worth the price. I just wouldnt say they are high quality, regardless which vendor you get them from.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:31:27 PM EDT
Yugos must have soft barrels too... man, those things can sure gall when you pull the barrels. I gotta say, Romania was better at chroming their barrels than the Poles were. I've yet to see a Rommy barrel with chrome flaking off unlike some of the Polish barrels I've seen. I've said this before but I really wish there was a metalurgist on this board that could compare the quality of steel used in Rommys, Polish, Bulgarian, Russian, Yugo, Chinese, etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:00:05 PM EDT
I would have to agree with that. The worst galled barrel I have seen was a Yugo. In general though, the Yugos seem to be of very high quality. Overall, from what I have seen, the quality award goes to the Hungarians.
Top Top